Custom Shop Strat Help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Seafei, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Seafei

Seafei New Member!

Hi Everyone,

I've just been offered this 94 custom shop 60s spec Strat, it doesn't come with the original case or cert unfortunately.
    I've emailed Fender but they don't have the original specs on their database just that it's a custom shop guitar built in 94... not that helpful!

Anyway, I just wanted to get some more opinions on if you guys think this looks legit. the guy selling it had no issues in taking it apart to show the custom stamps and from what I understand, the decal being on top of the finish is another good sign.

It played and sounded pretty sweet and for a price of $2kUSD.

Let me know what you think guys! IMG_0699.JPG IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.JPG PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-45.jpg PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-46 2.jpg PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-46.jpg PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-47 2.jpg PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-47.jpg PHOTO-2020-10-16-16-35-48.jpg

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Looks legit to me, but I suspect those are not the original pickups.

3. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Silver Member

Looks good - price seems to be at the high end of its value, even if it had documentation. You can always buy a CS case. Not sure if you will be able to replace the COA! You can also check over the years they used different CS logo’s over the different years.

4. Twin

Twin Strat-Talker

I can’t tell if it’s genuine or not. But with patience, for 24-2800, maybe less especially for a maple neck, you could probably land a much more recent preowned FCS relic that has FCS pickups, documentation and a case.

5. Mac62

Mac62 Strat-Talker

Nice guitar. I have Hector Montes on the neck butt of my '90 American Standard. ;)

6. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Pickups are suspect as far as being original but aside from that. How does it sound to you? It’s not an investment. It’s an instrument. If you like the tone and it’s worth 2k to you then you have your answer.

7. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

pickups could be original as the solder joints looks clean. a baseplate was probably just added to the bridge pup(it could be original too, its a CS guitar after all). one thing thats not original for sure are the saddles.

8. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

one more thing i notice and its a big red flag- it looks like the truss rod has no more room for adjustment:thumbd:

[​IMG]

9. GitGeek

GitGeek Livin' After Midnight Silver Member

Wow, good eye!

10. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I'm no expert on CS instruments, but I have looked at lot of pre-cbs Strats on the internet over the years.

If we are comparing to '60s Strats, these are the things I noticed in the pics:

1) No tape on the pickup leads.
    2) Baseplate on the bridge pickup.
    3) White lead off bridge pickup looks to be different than the others. (Slightly darker and tighter weave?) Pickup swapped?
    4) Truss rod nut is really deep in the neck.
    5) Entire bridge looks a bit off, not sure why. Saddles look unusually glossy, springs don't look right.
    6) Never seen that tab screwed into the body on the bridge pickup route, but again, no expert. Is that related to the baseplate?

The rest looks pretty legit, CS stamps and markings everywhere. They're also not asking for $6000. If it plays right and sounds good, I'd be asking myself if I was comfortable spending that money on a good guitar. Likely the answer would be yes.

11. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Do the saddles have some kind of groove in the middle? Doesn't look like they are stamped "Fender"

12. Seafei

Seafei New Member!

Hi everyone, firstly thank you for taking the time to have a look at this one, greatly appreciated!

correct on the pups, apparently they have been swapped out for some Lollars, they sound sweet so I have no issue with that.

Good spot though on the truss rod and the bridge, I shall do some more digging on this before I hand over any cash.
    Thanks !