Custom Strat HSS wiring help

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Moodwahmusic, May 4, 2021 at 7:01 PM.

1. Moodwahmusic

Moodwahmusic New Member!

Hey there, I’m new to the forum so I hope I can state my issue understandably. I’ve got a custom strat, ‘88 or ‘89 model I believe. I’ve just recently refinished the body and am in the process of reinstalling the pickups and controls. It has two single coils and one humbucker, 5 way selector switch, one volume and two tone pots, and a Kahler spyder trem. I failed to take notes and pics when I pulled everything off the body and now I’m not certain how the pickups and controls wire back up. I’ve searched the web for diagrams but can’t seem to find anything exactly like what I’ve got. Can anyone help with sending the wiring diagram that I need? Thanks for any and all help!

2. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

Try Seymour Duncan.

Stratman84 likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Don't those Canadians know that tone is not in the rosewood ... [​IMG]

5. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

6. Kingmarc1982

7. Kingmarc1982

8. Moodwahmusic

Moodwahmusic New Member!

Thanks to all. Looks like this will definitely get me on the right track. Much appreciated.

9. Moodwahmusic

Moodwahmusic New Member!

Hey guys, I’ve another favor to ask. I’ve looked high and low and can’t seem to find a wiring schematic that matches the pots and switches that this custom Strat has. This leads me to believe that it was modded from the git go, especially the two tone pots. I’m not electronically saavy enough to know what’s going on with the way they’ve been modified. If I were to post some pics of the actual parts and the layout could some kind soul out there be able to tell pretty much what’s going on and how to connect everything? I wish I had the expertise to know but I just don’t. Thanks for any help!

10. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Very likely... just make sure all the connections are easy to see in the photos.

11. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I wired my HSS somewhat unorthodox but it makes sense.
    • The first knob is the volume knob for the humbucker. Wire the pickup directly to either a 500K or 1 meg pot, whichever works best to your ears.
    • The second knob is the volume knob for both single coils. Wire these pickups to a 3 way switch like a Telecaster and then from the switch to a 250K pot.
    • The third knob is the master tone for the whole guitar.
    To wire the middle and neck just follow a Telecaster wiring schematic. The humbucker gets wired directly to the pot.

This wiring allows you to choose any position with just a 3 way switch. If you want the bridge on by itself, you turn up the first volume and turn down the second. If you want the bridge and middle together you turn up both volumes and put the switch in the first position. If you want just the middle pickup you turn down the first volume, turn up the second volume and put the switch in the first position. If you want the middle and neck together you turn down the first volume, turn up the second volume and put the switch in the middle position. If you want the neck by itself you turn down the first volume, turn up the second volume and put the switch in the third position. If you want all 3 pickups on at the same time you turn up both volumes and put the switch in the middle position. I found with all 3 pickups on and with the humbucker volume rolled back a little bit you can get a really great funk sound.

[​IMG]

12. Moodwahmusic

Moodwahmusic New Member!

That sounds ok but I don’t remember this being wired that way. For sure it didn’t have a 3 way sw. I’ll post these pics and hopefully everyone can see what I’m dealing with. The two tone pots in particular have a resistor from ground to the first lug on the top row. And a resistor and cap from ground to the first lug on the bottom row. I’ve not seen this in any diagrams I’ve looked at thus far. The tone pots are 250k and the one volume pot is 500k I believe. There’s the standard 8 pin 5-way switch and a single 2 way switch for splitting, blending, I’m not sure. Anyway I’m hoping someone can see what was in mind with this setup and provide a wiring scheme to wire it all up. I just remember that this guitar had some very good tone selections before. First two pics are volume pot, next two are tone pots, next is 5 way sw, then 2 way sw, and finally the poorly drawn layout. Hope this is as clear as mud. Thanks guys.

Attached Files: