CV Custom setup issues/questions

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by BadBrad, Feb 10, 2010.

1. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I mentioned in another thread that my new CVC might have a setup issue. I'm starting this new thread to keep from hijacking the other one.

Here are some photos of the bridge. It seems to me that the saddles are set awfully high. Does this look right to you?

There is already quite a bit of relief in the neck, so if I reduce the relief it would make things even worse, I think.

Attached Files:

2. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Straighten the neck. I own three of these and all had too much relief in the neck. The TRs were "slack" on all of them. And a Quarter could be slid in between the middle fret and string without any resistance. With the string held down to the fret on each end. Thats too much relief. And they all come with a standard saddle set-up. All mine needed a set-up when I came home and all three play perfect now with low action.

Those saddles been screwed with "for sure".

Untill you do this your not Honestly going to know what the action really is. Squier/Fender use's the same set-up on all their production electrics. Your saddles been dropped on both E-Strings. Or raised in the middle? That bridge has been played with already for sure. The saddles should mimick your 9.5 radius

After you straighten the neck [Truss-Rod]. Pefectly Straight...Place a finger on the first fret and a finger on the last fret. When you press on the string in the middle, there should be NO relief. Nothing should be able to slide between the string and fret in the middle as I mentioned with the Coin. Thats a perfectly straight neck with no-relief.

Then drop ALL your strings till they BUZZ. Then slowly raise each string till the buzz disappears all the way up the neck on each string let each note RING. Don't worry about what the radius of the saddles is. It will fall into place as you properly set-up the guitar.

Then check your intonation, ALL the saddles are set the same by Squier for intonation. With 3-saddle Tele bridges the ONLY strings that should be difficult to intonate will be you D-G Saddle. If you really look at most 3-barrell saddle Tele bridges. The G-String saddle end will be pushed slightly foward to compensate for this. Or add compensated saddles/bridge like Wikinson makes and others.

Now when all this is done, if you prefer a bit of relief, add it in. You should never count on relief to correct string-buzz. Thats incorrect thinking. If thats the case then your frets need to be leveled.

I haven't seen a CV that had a neck pocket "yet" that needed to be shimmed. Your Tele needs TIME put into it. Before it can honestly be evaluated. A proper set-up needs to be done.

I'm not saying its not possible their is an issue. Pocket or Fret Crown. But from messing with these I haven't seen it. I'll post photos of my action and bridge so you can see it.

When all this is complete post the exact same photos like I'm gonna and you'll be able to see the action. Those above photos only show that the saddles are out of wack.

Your guitar came from MF. So first off no Tech set it up at a guitar shop. Second you bought it USED. So some kid played around with it and further knocked it out of wack. Squier use's the same set-up on ALL their guitar. No time for individual set-ups. I'm positive you can get that VERY CLOSE. While I use to think Squiers were JUNK. I been impressed with them the last couple years. The QC is Twice as good as it once was.

I added a bit of relief back into mine also. But I didn't do the set-up work that way? And while it was a good CV to begin with. I played with the set-up for a hour or so. The TR use's a larger size Allen wrench on the CV than I have ever seen used on any other electric also. The usual size Fender uses? Its the next size UP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at the last photo. Thats the agle you should quickly check the relief of your neck with. Looking it straight on won't show the relief/straightness. The bridge has different saddles "Brass" to soften the Tone. Other than that its the same as yours.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. fenson

fenson ----------------------

IMO ya check relief , but it looks like the person that set the saddles was having a bad day or whatever . Does it buzz at all on the 6th ? if not lower the high side of that saddle and lower the other saddles to form a more correct radius . the rad on the saddles as is is like 6 lol looks like. try to by eye have the arch in the saddles match the 9.5 of the fret board. that is the height of the 6 th at the 12th now?

My 60's CV strat and 50's CV tele play well with a very straight neck , little visable relief at all.

Oh all good advice from Strat-man - do

4. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

Thanks for the advice. This is my first tele, but I thought it didn't look right.

5. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Take your time. Believe me you can get it very close to perfect with just adjustments. And Good Luck.

You have any problems as you move along, just post them and and we'll check em out.

6. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I tightened the truss rod, straigthening the neck, and adjusted the bridge saddles, and everything seems fine now. Thanks for the advice.

I still want to put heavier strings on it, but it plays nicely now.

7. Zman

Zman Strat-Talker

I had a set of D'Addario 10s put on mine and had it set up before I got it. All I had to do was lower the saddles a couple of turns each. Action is perfect. Saddles and action look more like Strat man's set up.
    I was thinking of putting brass compensated saddles on but now I am very happy with the stock set up.

8. fenson

fenson ----------------------

Go ahead nothing should change if ya go up a gauge . If anything heavier strings will add a bit of relief , and seeing as you know how to take relief out (straighten) of the neck . no problem. But like I say one gauge higher shouldn't affect it.