CV vs Player vs American - my 2 cents

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by piage84, Sep 14, 2021.

1. piage84

piage84 Strat-Talk Member

Hello guys,

just wanted to share my 2 cents on my experience with these 3 strat models.

I'm not a great nor experienced player, I have an Epiphone les paul Std Pro and a MIJ Tele and I'm now in the market for a strat. I don't need it... it's just GAS! :)

Since I had never played a strat, I went to my local store to blind try a Squier CV vs MIM Player vs Am pro. Unfortunately, they didn't have any CV.

The test with MIM and AM was good. I loved them both, they felt different, but I could see myself playing both, The AM sounded better (even my gf who doesn't play liked the sound of the AM more). But to me, it was just slightly better, not double the price better.

Today, few weeks after this first test, I found a 2014 CV Fiesta Red (I like that color!!!) online second hand and went for an inspection. I had very high expectations as I read many articles and watched many videos about how great CVs are!

Unfortunately, I was really disappointed. Didn't like the neck (felt small and weird) and the overall guitar felt like a toy. Before I got my EPI LP, I tried few models and the CV gave me the same impression as those cheap Epiphone Special... they feel like toys. I can't explain it properly, but that's the closest thing I can think of!

Also, this particular cv didn't look properly made: the body/neck joint had a little gap. Tiny, but there. Anyway, long story short, I think I played with it for less than 30 seconds.

I'm happy I tried these 3 models now, so I have a better idea on how they feel.

For me.... it's MIM. I can tell the AM was overall better but for my bedroom a MIM Player is going to be way more than enough!

simoncroft, TIMB, Tone Deaf and 12 others like this.
  2. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

It really pays to try out as many strats as what you can when in the buying process.
    Good luck!

And welcome to ST

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I got a nice deal on a 2020 CV 50s Strat. Its a very nice player ,but I must admit its not quite as good as a MIM Player Strat.

4. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

Thanks for the observations . I think the MIM Players are great guitars for the money . I love mine. Neck gaps are a bit of an internet myth in that they exist for a reason. An excessive gap is another story. Most times the cost of something being more expensive is hard to pin down.With guitars often times a lot of the extra cost is hard to see. Labor is easy to figure out . Materials can be harder. Attention to detail is the hardest thing to see or feel, but it’s there . Fretwork , finish , materials , it’s all there . Whether it’s worth it to you will vary with each individual. I spent quite a while doing fretwork on my MIM Player strat , but in the end I got a guitar just as good as any MIA Standard I have owned . That being said , I love my AVRI 59 thin skin and CS Strat. YMMV.

fos1 likes this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Now you know why the guy was selling it.
    As for me there is no way I will part with my CV 60’s it’s such a good guitar.
    I just bought a brand new noventa for twice the price of a CV and the frets are a lot rougher than on the CV, and the CV has the headstock truss rod adjustment not the heel adjustment, like the Noventa, which is a pain

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    nickmsmith likes this.
  6. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Good choice on the players, they offer two of my favorite colors. Lake placid blue , tide pool and the white with maple neck is a classic looker.

jtoomuch likes this.
  7. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I have owned MIJ and MIM Fenders for years. I've even owned a MI Indonesia, that was a good guitar. I've loved each and every one. Only recently, have I purchased my first MIA Fender, a new American Pro II.

My first Strat, an '82 MIJ ST63 (Not sure of the exact model), was a spectacular example. It played like butter, and sounded exactly like a Strat should. I stupidly let it go when I wore the frets off the neck, instead of getting it refretted. I've been chasing that feel ever since. I figured all Strats would play that well.... Silly me.

What I've discovered over the years is that you really need to try as many as you can until you find the right one. MIM and lesser models are less consistent. I tried several examples of the new American Pro II in my search for the next 'one'. I found that they all played incredibly consistently good! It made it an easy decision to buy online. The one I got was different than the others, it was the lightest of all the ones I've tried. But, it plays like those others, the feel was just, well, consistent. They all had similar action, similar tone, etc. I honestly couldn't tell you if one played any better than any of the others.... I would wager I played ten fo them before buying mine. Anecdotal, I guess... But, incredibly consistent just the same.

You can always find a really good inexpensive (non-MIA) Fender. But, I would wager the MIA lines have a higher percentage of keepers.... Maybe not? But, that's been my experience.

Likewood, SalvorHardin and budglo like this.
  8. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

0E0D77F0-0666-4FBC-979E-9323AEA3C359.jpeg I think you looked at a klunker for a CV.
    The ones that I tried were way better than their price point.

I did have to take one home. CV70s.

Bob

Neilena and pn8830 like this.
  9. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Regarding the comment about better but not double the price better ... you will very likely find that those possessions in life which are important to you will be priced on a logarithmic scale ... kind of like the relationship between decibels and output power in an amplifier. Of course it's not doubly good just because it's double the price. It never is. That's just the nature of things.

You may not yet be able to grasp this but coming to an understanding of that fundamental truth changed me profoundly. The change didn't happen overnight but it did eventually change how I think about gear and how I buy gear. It was the first domino on my journey from quantity to quality.

Deep thoughts for a Saturday morning, I know.

10. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Every collection of parts made into a guitar is different to me. I've played a few incredible MIMs and some that weren't so good. And I've played a lot of U.S.-made instruments that I thought were poor, especially some '70s ones. But I can't say I've played anything MIM or U.S. made in the past 20 years that couldn't be made fantastic with some elbow grease. In the end, everything is in the neck, to me. I expect to level the frets on any guitar I buy.

11. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

So you tried a bunch of am pro 2 guitars (in a store I imagine), and then bought one online?

jtoomuch, Boubou and SalvorHardin like this.
  12. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I had the opposite experience when shopping for Tele's some years back. Got to the store and tried every single Tele they had - MIM (Standard back then), AM (Standard) and a CV 50's Tele. I could not believe how good the CV played, felt and sound, above all the others. I was so shocked I didn't even bought the guitar (stupid me!), it was just an amazing Tele.

Neilena and amstratnut like this.
  13. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I actually have the exact CV model you tried - a 2014 Simon Neil signature version in Fiesta Red. It's not quite as nice as my MIM Deluxe Lone Star, but I'd certainly choose it over any MIM Standard or Player I've ever played. The neck is a bit on the thin side which I admit may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't describe it, or any of the several CVs I've played, as "like a toy".

Neilena likes this.
  14. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Yeah, I know, crazy, right?

It mostly came down to two things, color and price. For a while, near the beginning of things opening back up, the only ones any of the stores had were the blue burst over black and the silver bursts. Neither of which did I want.

But, then I got a clearance model from Musician's Friend (taking a chance, knowing there is a good return policy). Saved me three+ hundred, and it got me the lightest one I had tried to date. Both pretty good things in my book. Plus, it plays like a dream. It truly reminds me of my (memories probably made better by time) of that first Strat I've been chasing for thirty years or so.

I've had good luck buying clearance guitars from several of the big online retailers. All have met with my satisfaction, and some have been real keepers. Some have stayed around for a good long time. Some will probably always be around. But, none have been dogs. I am always amazed at the guys who get nothing but crap, buying online. I just kinda trust my karma.

nickmsmith and budglo like this.
  15. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

I’ve ordered many a Fender MIA and up online and never had a dog either. Every one has been great . Pretty consistent imo.

Axis29 likes this.
  16. Likewood

Likewood Strat-Talk Member

I have a small music store in my town and people trying guitars there but then buying online is what has made small businesses to close.
    In my case, I talk to manager, ask to match price and/order one I like to support local businesses.
    Sorry for lecturing

Boubou, hogrider16, jtoomuch and 2 others like this.
  17. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I've found many of the off-brand S-type guitars do a better job copying the MIM/MIA details than Squier is 'allowed' to do. Too often Squier models have an overly skinny neck. Because of the competition out there, Squier really needs to up their game and create two necks, the skinny ones they like to do plus chunky necks and then clearly mark or stamp the headstock with some mark so even in poor Craigslist photographs it's easy to tell if it's a chunky or skinny neck.

18. msbrech

msbrech Strat-Talk Member

Watched this video earlier today, then stumbled on this thread. Maybe Tyler is right about that sweet spot of a price point being between $400 and $800, which puts you right on MIM territory.

19. jwag

jwag Strat-O-Master

I personally LOVE the Classic Series 60’s Strat’s….especially the necks on them. I could buy a MIA Strat if I wanted but why? I’m actually in the process of building another Classic Series to put in my collection. If you’d have told me my favorite Strat would be a MIM…I’d have laughed pretty hard not too long ago. I’ve been looking at MIA Strat’s and honestly stumbled across the Classic Series on accident. The give me what I want, so I’ll put the extra cash towards other things.

I will echo other’s in saying play as many different examples as you can, you never know what’ll speak to you.

20. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Ya know, I've struggled with this over the years.

Back in Virginia, my father worked for a small music shop, and I spent a good amount of money there. But,. by the time I was an adult, and getting bsack into music, there weren't too many Mom and Pop shops left. At best, they were Music & Art places (are those franchises?). Then, I moved to a more rural part of the state and had two smaller shops within driving distance again. I spent a decent amount of money in both places and supported them pretty regularly. I even worked in one for a little while (I promote them all the time to folks looking for vintage stuff). I forget that they are also a Fender dealer (but they rarely have any higher end stiff in stock... Mostly starter packs and a few MIM things)

Really, some of the itmne, it comes down to financing... Who's got 0% for six months or a year.... Small places can't always do that. But,. a lot fo the time, they can do a layaway (which I have used at small places before)

Now, I live in a somewhat small town and there are a couple of local music stores.... But, sadly, I haven't made time to stop in and see what they're like... Sad, really. On my part, not theirs.

Maybe this'll get me off my butt and go see what they have in stock?

(Although, in all honesty, I bought a clearance guitar, I saved more than 300 bucks off what they are selling for everywhere... Matching that price would be too much to ask of a local place)

And, now that we've completely derailed this thread.... Hopefully, back to oru regularly schedule discussion. LOL

budglo and Likewood like this.