Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

D On Neck Heel

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Wayne D., May 18, 2017.

1. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I seen an old '52 bass for sale on eBay and it has a D stamped on the neck heel and I'm curious as to what that stands for? I seen it on a few other neck heels too. Does anyone know or venture a guess?:confused:

a917.jpg

2. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    I believe this 'D' stamp was owned and used by one of the early craftsmen to mark the necks he had made, in the same way that another of the early makers used a screwdriver blade to mark the necks he had shaped.
    (I guess it was helpful, when pay day came around, to avoid any doubt about how many necks a particular craftsman had produced).
    As for the name of the owner of the 'D' stamp, I wish I knew...

3. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    All I m seein is tight slowly grown mega multiple grain layers parallel to the fingerboard,. it will sound fantastic . If the D stands for Dont buy this its fake, do it anyway, its a great neck if its not crazy expensive.

4. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    Incidentally, I see there might (?) be a TG (Tadeo Gomez) pencil mark on the neck, but I don't believe there is a one-for-one correlation between Tadeo and the 'D' stamp, because I have seen the 'D' stamp on a '52 Tele neck which I believe was shaped by some-one other than Tadeo.

5. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    Or maybe the 'D' stamp owner was involved in a different process on this occasion (e.g. assembly or finishing) rather than shaping ?

6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    It may be the width. I know this info is for later necks but may still be true of a 52.

Neck Width.
    From March 1962 to 1969, Fender marked their necks with an "official" neck width letter at the butt of the neck (in front of the date code). The "B" neck width is the normal width, as used on about 99% of all Fenders from this period. All other sizes were available by special order only. Also all pre-1962 Fender necks have a 1 5/8" nut width (though I'm sure there are some exceptions, but none I have seen).
    • A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
    • B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
    • C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    • D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.
    Or the Shape:

Neck Back Shapes (profiles), all guitar and bass models.
    Fender neck shapes have changed through the years too.
    • 1950 to 1955: Fender neck shapes (all models) have a standard large and chunky "D" profile (big "baseball bat" style neck).

abnormaltoy, Ditchgator and Percy like this.

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

^^^^^yup....my fav is th 'A'

abnormaltoy likes this.

8. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    I don't think this is the explanation for the 'D' stamped bass neck pictured by the original poster, because that 'D' stamp also appears on some early bodies (e.g. some '52 teles) as well as on some early necks.

Wayne D. likes this.

9. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Here are a couple of more I've found on '52 tele's. No explanation though. a919.jpg a920.jpg

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

10. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Just noticing how much lower the truss rod hole is on the 6-2-52 neck than the one at the top of the page. Also notice that the 7-52 neck has a Phillips screw. :)

Wayne D. likes this.

11. jungle faced jake

jungle faced jake Strat-Talker

Dec 24, 2015
    Germany
    Just stamp WAYNE in front of it.

T Guitar Floyd and Wayne D. like this.

12. Wayne D.

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    :D:p:D

13. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Strat-Talk Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    As long as I know, nobody knows what this D stands for, but it's on most of the early Fenders up to 52 I think. Its presence is a positive clue for authenticity.