Daisy Chain Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by stratfanGB, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talker

Using the parallel inputs on an amp to split the signal and send some to another amp isn't much different than using "Y" adapters in your cord instead. It's just a lot more tidy looking.

cranky likes this.
  2. ScreamingStrat

ScreamingStrat Strat-Talk Member

I'm just too much of a paranoid worry wart to try this....somehow I know I will damage my amps. Got a lot of money tied up in both, but after reading this thread I will get an aby pedal.

3. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I've seen threads like this before and thought "I should try that." Then I realize there's a good chance something will inevitably get screwed up and when I report the disaster here someone will say "Oh, you did it wrong!"

ScreamingStrat likes this.
  4. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Good point.
    In fact, there's a high degree of probability that different types of amps won't be in phase with each other.

Every tube stage flips the signal upside down. So if you have a different number of gain stages, you will be out of phase.

5. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Thanks for the thought. I decided to daisy chain my 65 PRRI and 5f2a for this week's improv challenge 4, mixing both BF and tweed goodness. Since I only have one mic, i set it back about four feet centered between the amps, but it'll be fun to play with mic'ing and mixing them separately.

6. ivan H

ivan H Strat-Talker

To explain daisy chaining amps (as George has done in the OP's pic) a little more clearly, you need amps that feature a high & low input for the same amp channel. I'll use this pic to explain. 16111859701404709200760034480149.jpg
    we zoom in to look at the inputs, we see channel 1 (the bright channel) has an upper (high sensitivity) & lower (low sensitivity) inputs. Channel 2 has the same input arrangement.
    To daisy chain amps, we simply plug the instrument into the upper "high sensitivity" input of either channel, then plug an instrument cable into the "low sensitivity" input of that same channel, then plug the cable into the high sensitivity input of another amp. We can link as many amps as we want like this, however, as has been previously said, the output of both (or all) amps need to be in phase.
    Similarly, rather than daisy chaining amps, we can utilise both channels on an amp like the one I have pictured, by plugging the instrument into the high sensitivity input of one channel, then take a patch lead plugged into the low sensitivity input & plug it into the high sensitivity input of the other channel. Cheers

7. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I’ve done a tweed into a Blackface and it’s just amazing. That huge sound.

fezz parka likes this.
  8. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Sounds like a dicey option to me.

9. Jasco

Jasco Strat-Talker

I usually just use a stereo pedal to hit 2 amps, although I have daisy chained inputs before.
    It's nice to be able to flip the phase on one amp if necessary. I've got a Radial ABY pedal that can do that.
    But if not, just turn one of the amps backwards (if it's open back).
    And in the studio you could just flip the phase on one of the mics.

10. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yep. In big rooms and outdoors I used to run my Super Reverb and a 5e6a Bassman. Just daisy-chained.

The phase issues are only speaker related. That's easy to check.

Nate D likes this.
  11. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

knew some guys that ran champs into showmans, worked for a while.
    Since I like being an A hole sometimes, I was playing in a band that I hated all of the other members.
    I had just read that Ted Nugent, I believe played 6 twin reverbs at the Montreal forum, so I borrowed 3 from friends and showed up at a gig with 4 (I owned 1) The place maybe held 200 people. Turned all of them on full, did one tune. Keyboard players amp blew up. I loaned him mine and finished the gig using one amp

Jasco and Nate D like this.
  12. MC5tooge

MC5tooge Strat-Talker

From experience it doesn't work from my early JC120 to my AC30. Seems from a discussion in the JC Facebook group this only applies to the really old JCs. The other way round just fine of course.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Don't do it!!!
    The result will be greater than the sum of the parts, you'll fall in love with it; then you'll be dragging multiple amps to every gig and you won't be able to turn them up loud enough.
    You'll die bitter and twisted.
    Walk away now...while you still can.

MC5tooge, jtoomuch and Stratoman10 like this.
  14. Jimbo_Jones

Jimbo_Jones Strat-Talker

Most multiple inputs are just like a built in "Y' connector. But I have old amps with a little tone bias circuit built in to some inputs, I suppose to better enable the use of multiple but different instruments in that one amp. And I have no idea what tricks newer amps may have up that sleeve.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I have two stereo rigs at home. I tried one in one room just to see how I liked it. I liked it enough to upgrade to a better amp.

So then I had to get a comparable rig for the living room. But if I was going to play out I would probably just go with a single amp

16. Kim Gunnarsson

Kim Gunnarsson Strat-Talk Member

Can you damage an amp by daisy chain it, or is it bulletproof?

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

It's bulletproof, provided you only use the INPUTS. If you do anything with the speaker outs, you're looking for trouble.
    You may encounter phase issues that can make it sound excremental, but there is no danger.

Kim Gunnarsson likes this.
  18. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

Buy a modern amp with a Line Out and Send/Return. Or, Y cable or stereo pedal.

Since I carry a backup amp, I keep it connected and ready to go.

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

^^^^^^^ Wise words, right there! ^^^^^^^

Just Noticin'
    Gene