Daphne Blue - rosewood or maple

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeinMaryland, Jun 3, 2018.

1. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

2. R00STER

R00STER Strat-Talker

This is false, don't listen to this guy!

Even though we could be neighbors according to your profile :)

3. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-O-Master

Rosewood

4. vlazlow

vlazlow Strat-Talk Member

Maple gets my vote. I have a LP Blue strat that looks great with maple. I imagine daphne blue would also be rather fetching.

5. Scrabus44

Scrabus44 Strat-Talk Member

I bought a 2017 antique olive American Professional series strat with maple fingerboard because I thought, being harder than rosewood, it would be easier to slide notes and chords on, but I find it easier on my Squier with rosewood. I wonder if it could be the higher frets on the newer Stratocaster. Any thoughts?

6. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

Rosewood.

7. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

Rosewood

Before

IMG_0304.JPG

After

IMG_0500.JPG

ryapou and rze99 like this.
  8. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

Dark tinted maple, any day.

Fuggle likes this.
  9. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Play it safe and buy one of each (personally, I like maple).

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

In the 50's through the early 80's.. the Auto manufacturers would take basic body styles... and add superfluous "stuff" which did absoluely nothing but made the car look Très élégante ..

An example of this was outlined in John De Loren's expose', "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors" By Patrick Wright (if any one cares)

He tells how a 1970's era Ford Granada which sold for around 6000.00 was "reconfigured" with about 500.00 bux with of "fluff" and marketed as the Lincoln Versailles which sold for about $11,000.00.

They were the same car but the Lincoln had more attractive upholstery, prettier plastic inside and a chrome (aluminum back then) strip down the side... that was it...

I'm not tellin' ya that to dis the Strat... or anything of the nature, but just so you can be aware of how sometimes stuff that looks prettier on a basic model, can have unpleasant results in the wallet and no where else... but if ya like it.. shi* go for it... "like it" is the only reason ya need...

Personally I prefer the Rosewood.. and if I'm making one of for myself I'll go with Ebony with the complete understanding it's only because I like the look... that - is - it...

I'm totally not into that "tone thing" between fingerboard woods, because I know utterly and completely that if I show up with a Toad Butt ugly skank with whatever "you" say has the absolutely worst sounding every thing .. and I can play, and you show up with a beautiful Yuriy Shishkov creation and stumble through whatever you are stumbling through.. everyone's gonna want one of whatever I'm playing and every one is gonna think you got your's at Wal-Mart...

So... get what moves your heart...only. . . . and forget whatever results in a thread more than 2 pages long... :p

and I say skrue ugly guitars, bring back the good lookin' stuff... hell, we still prefer our wimen pretty don't we.. ain't no one relickin' 28 year olds are they?

Pretty woman below, for those that don't know one when they see one... :D

rk

[​IMG]

11. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

My fingers sometimes stick to Maple and never stick to Rosewood so I vote Rosewood.

12. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

I'm also in the BOTH camp:

AVRI '52 refin:
    IMG_6659.JPG

Custom build early '60s Tele

IMG_4381 (1).JPG

13. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

LucasT likes this.
  14. aviamsi

aviamsi Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

15. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

No just a partscaster, 50's classic series body. I didn't like the soft V on the maple neck and changed it out as well as the pickguard. I really don't have a play preference on necks but I like the look of RW on most colors. Maple has it's place as well.

IMG_0461.JPG

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

ifin' yaw wanna no why rosiewud wuddnt dare at first.... it's cawz. . .

initially Leo wanted to keep costs to a minimum.. rosewood back then was incredibly expensive relative to maple... that's because the most modern technology they used in the Brazilian rainforest was a .12 gauge, (for snakes and feisty "locals" with poison dart blowguns) and an axe, a sharp axe. .. compound that to, Leo was repurposing maple cutoffs he was getting from a cabinet shop around the corner... paying about zilch for it.. so cost of materials was dictating a lot of what was happening..

So a few years into production and Don Randall comes boppin' in saying guys are raggin' on the guyitars because they are made of skank woods. Calling it a Plank... (can ya imagine)

It was shortly thereafter a more aesthetic approach to the overall appearance was introduced..

For those sayin, "Nuh Uh . . ain't so.." let me just say, ""Uhh Huhhh izztue" ... as relayed to me in the late 80's, early 90's thereabouts by a former Fender employee at a Guitar show...

If I hadda known Al Gore was gonna invent the internet in a few years, and a decade later it would be as ubiquitous as cockroaches at a KOA Camp Grounds .. I would have made a tape recording and taken a few photos... ya know.. with a tape recorder and a film camera. :p

so anyway. . .back in my day, the early 60's the "Surf Music” crowd saw the maple fingerboard as a badge of honor for C&W, and a Rosewood neck as just cooler ‘n a polar bear’s bum in a butt scooting race… Of course no one cared that James Burton had a Maple necked Tele Behind Ricky Nelson.. Rick was just so totally cool it completely eclipsed the hillbilly guitar back there… :D

Of course there were occasional cameos by Jazzmasters and Strats too… :cool:

It had nothing to do with tone.. if ya had tone issues, ya walked over to the amp… ya should try that sometimes, works damn good.. :D

rk

billybuck and owenmoney like this.
  17. jball85

jball85 Strat-O-Master

Maple, otherwise you may get bitter beer face.

18. arithon

arithon Strat-O-Master

Yeah this is the eternal question, I wouldn't worry about looks- because both look good with Daphne Blue. What feels better to you?

I am in the Maple camp , especially if its a nitro neck for the wear look.

owenmoney likes this.
  19. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Strat-O-Master

I always go Rosewood, especially with lighter colors. But you have to decide what you like, not what we like.

20. Mr Hockey

Mr Hockey Strat-Talker

Give that man a Maple neck !