Dating from SN?

cmfrtblynmb209

Strat-Talker
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, VA
First off, hello all! Followed the forum for awhile, never posted. You guys always have all the responses covered better than I could anyways...

I found a strat on craigslist, claims to be an "original from between '68-'72". I have my doubts for a number of reasons (wrong case, price, etc). The serial number is FN207380. My research on it lists this serial number as being a US made guitar bound for the export market, but doesn't yield much more on date of production. Anybody out there that could shed a little light on this so I don't have to ask this guy to drive to his house and take his guitar apart to check the date stamps?

Thanks!

Andrew

fatstratdeluxed

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2009
Alabama
Well with that serial number it was made in the Corona California plant... so it is a US Strat. What year, I'm not exactly sure. All I know is 1987 is the earliest it could have been made from the Corona plant?

cmfrtblynmb209

Strat-Talker
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, VA
Thanks, that's what I thought. The guy says he got it in '77, which is what is making me curious. Unfortunately, he doesn't have enough (or good enough) pictures up to check for telltale signs. I guess I might just have to ask him if I could pull the neck and pickguard off and check the neck and pots. Looks like I may just be up for a short little road trip with a screwdriver!

Orlando Mike

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 5, 2007
orlando florida
Well with that serial number it was made in the Corona California plant... so it is a US Strat. What year, I'm not exactly sure. All I know is 1987 is the earliest it could have been made from the Corona plant?

American Standards began in late 1986...not 1987 I know, because I have one with a neck date of dec 86, and body date December 86 Incidentally, it has an E2 S/N

83strat012.jpg

94mim011.jpg

cmfrtblynmb209

Strat-Talker
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, VA
Ha, gotcha Allroy. Like I said, tough to tell from the available pictures. Guess I'm back to the screwdriver just to be sure, assuming he'll let me take it apart to check.

And I like the Inca Silver on the '86 Mike! Always liked silver and gold strats...

cmfrtblynmb209

Strat-Talker
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, VA
Yeah, 900 would be a little steep. I actually managed to get a few pics of the headstock from him, and it's definitely an 80's. Tuners, headstock, logo, all that are wrong for a late 60's/early 70's. Not surprisingly, they match my 88 American Standard pretty well. Nice looking guitar, but I don't think I need a third strat if I'm not getting a good deal on a vintage one! I might go by and pull the neck off just to help him date it with some certainty though.

Thanks for the help though guys, certainly much appreciated!