Join Strat-Talk Today

David Gilmour Red EMG Strat Build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by R-Dizzle, Oct 4, 2019.

1. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

Wanted to document/show you all my recent MJT Strat build. My first Strat I built was the Gilmour Black Strat (check out my media section in my profile for pics on that one). So naturally, I wanted to make my second build after Gilmours Red EMG Strat. This might be a little long winded, so I apologize. I will update this thread as my parts flow in. Anyway, here's a list of parts that I'm using for this:

• MJT candy apple red Strat body
    • Warmoth vintage modern neck, 59 round-back w/vintage tint, Stainless steel 6105 frets
    • Callaham Tremelo kit, includes all hardware and vintage Gotoh Tuners
    • Fender '57 1-ply pick-guard. (even though these things warp)
    • EMG DG-20s - I already own these pickups, so I took them out of my MIM Strat.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, this build isn't going to be an exact part for part replica of his guitar. For instance I went with the vintage modern neck because I'm not fond of the truss rod adjustment at the heel. So I will veer off with certain specs.

Starting off I ran into the first issue with this Strat body. It's known that the '57 pickup cavities are routed shallower than modern Strat bodies. The EMGs are a tad bigger than regular passive pickups, so fitting them into the guitar requires it to be routed 3-4mm deeper. Gilmour also had this done. I'm not an expert luthier..clearly or carpenter, so my methods will probably be frowned at or questioned, but I got the job done nonetheless, even though it looks like trash. All I did was use my Dremel to route out the cavity little by little, making sure to take my time. I did nip some areas, but who cares, it'll be hidden.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would probably been easier if I picked a different body so I wouldn't have to do all this modding, but I wanted to do it, gave me something to do :).
    Next step was installing the trem claw. This can be a pain if you don't have a long bit, but luckily I already had one from the previous build. Now some people will get pretty precise to make sure its in the right spot. I kinda eyeballed it and marked some spots, but didn't get too crazy with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, it was time to install the Callaham trem. It went in with no issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be continued....

EAllen, vid1900, Boognish and 2 others like this.
  2. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

So the second issue I ran into was the input jack. MJT (Wildwood body?) routes tend to be a tad smaller. With the EMG input jack wires, the sides were just too tight. So I busted out the Dremel again and sanded out the route until the input jack had enough room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's whats been done so far. I'm still waiting on the neck, which should be here this month. I'm going to wait to do the pick-guard screws until I have the neck installed.

The last major mod I have to do is the EMG battery route and backplate. Some people will just put the battery under the pick-guard, but thats not what I wanna do. I'll be cutting a spot on the rear trem cavity like the Clapton Strat and Gilmour had this done to his EMG Strats (I should have gotten that body LOL, save me the headache).
    I will update again once I get that neck in, since everything else kinda hinders on that.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    EAllen, 3bolt79, Boognish and 3 others like this.
  3. Steven1145

Steven1145 Strat-Talker

Lovely job! Have fun!

R-Dizzle likes this.
  4. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Nice. The red Strat was always my fave Gilmour axe.

R-Dizzle and Electgumbo like this.
  5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes I’m a fan of the Red also ... love the Delicate Sound of Thunder video!!!

R-Dizzle likes this.
  6. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I've done quite a bit of "routing" on the bodies of my "builds" using a hand held "Dremel-type" tool. I've been able to do fairly nice work on small things like deepening or enlarging pup cavities and adding necessary clearance for other items on the body. A steady hand and patience can yield some very high quality results. It looks like you did some good work using that method too. Nice looking project!

R-Dizzle likes this.
  7. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Looks great!

8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

That's very nice man! Wish building partscasters was easier where I live.

9. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nice work. My #1 is my CAR Strat Plus that I dropped my DG-20 setup into. It just does everything.

[​IMG]

R-Dizzle likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.