De-Floyding a Floyd Rose Strat

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by nmoc strat, Jul 19, 2020.

1. nmoc strat

nmoc strat Strat-O-Master

Hi,

I’d like to know your opnions, Strat players, on this. I have this 2013 MIM Floyd Rose Fender Strat , sunburst, which I already mod it several times, pickups, pickguard, etc, but never touched the Floyd, because thats what I wanted when I got it in the first place, and, unlike many Strat lovers, I do think the Floyd works well on a Strat, and never got the issues many of Strat guys complaint, to change the strings.

However, last year I assemble a new Strat guitar, with parts from an old Squier (neck), and Warmoth (alder body), and the bridge I end up choosing was a Gotoh 510 , wich is a great traditional Strat bridge replacement, together with Fender locking tuners, and that guitar is a joy to play.

What brings me back to my Floyd Strat, everytime I play it, I can’t stop feeling that something’s not exactly like I would like it to be. The strings are slightly taller on the Floyd bridge, what makes the action a sligthy higher, that, and the micro-tunings on the Floyd Rose, I think I& wolud prefer the simple headstock tuners, and also the fact that you can easily change the tuning.

I’m thinkng on De-Floyding my FR Strat, maybe, swaping the bridge for a Schaller Vintage Tremolo, which measures the same as Floyd Rose, and does not require any modification to the guitar body, its a traditional string through bridge, which works with the same 2 post for the Floyd bridge, and also , for a better tuning stability, I would also swap the Fender tuners for new Schaller locking tuners.

My only doubt would be the nut, obviously, I would take out the 3 locking pieces from the nut, but, would the guitar work well with only the base for the locking nut, and this way, I wouldnt have to modify anything, and could easily return everything to what it was, in case I wanted, or would it be necessary to install a proper nut for tuning stability, even with the locking tuners?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

It is what it is- and its good at it! There's no other system that allows as much pitch change up or down as a locking set up. The string height /set up should be as adjustable as any other style bridge though slightly more challenging. Personally I'd let it be what it is or sell it and get something more traditional. Thats just me.

3. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

If you don't like the higher action on the Floyd, the two large pins on each end of the Floyd is how you change string height. Clockwise lowers, counterclockwise raises. If you already know this, kindly disregard. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

4. Smylight

Smylight Strat-Talker

I own several Strats, all slightly different. I don't own any with FR because I personally don't like them and I'm not a huge trem user. I have a Jeff Beck for this kind of trem abuse.

As a guitar tech, I've advised more than a few of my customers not to try making a FR equipped Strat into another kind of guitar. You'll spend way more on this than the guitar is worth, obviously, and you may end up not entirely satisfied with the results down the line. Don't forget the FR's removal will leave a lot of wood to be filled and refinished, and the FR nut, running unlocked, will be less than satisfactory.

I say sell it, there's people out there willing to buy a FR Strat, and then buy any Strat you like.

MarkJB likes this.
  5. hairy-dude

hairy-dude Strat-Talk Member

I, too, have 2013 MIM Floyd Rose strat (Blacktop Series). I think all yours needs is a good setup. String height is adjustable as mentioned above, and while you're at it, replace the saddles and block for the Floyd Rose 1000 series parts. The saddles on mine were letting the strings slip, so I replaced the saddles, lock blocks and the sustain block with Floyd Rose 1000 series parts, and it has been great ever since.

If you eventually decide the Floyd Rose is not for you, sell the guitar as-is, and get another with the bridge style you prefer. Changing bridge types on a guitar can be painful (been there, done that!). There's plenty of players out there that will buy a Floyd Rose strat. I hunted for months for mine, as they are reasonably rare here in Australia.

6. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've tried unlocking the nut (removing the lockers) on two different guitars and it didn't work all that well. I tried adding some lube, but still the strings would bind at the nut. That nut just isn't designed for use without being locked--binding the strings isn't a bug, it's a feature.

I agree with the earlier posts--adjusting string height should be do-able via the two posts, and if you still don't like the Floyd system you'd be better off selling the guitar as is and getting/building another. Like you, I've become a huge fan of the Gotoh 510, and you can drop that into pretty much any 2-point strat. With a good nut and locking tuners, I think the tuning stability is about as good as a locking system, but the whole thing is simpler and easier to use. Good luck!

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

I keep all my locking nuts loose and use the tuners. The locking nut is the worst invention ever.

8. nmoc strat

nmoc strat Strat-O-Master

But you’re still using the Floyd tremolo?

If so, how’s your tuning stability?

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

yeah the Floyd bridge is much nicer than fender trems, tuning is fine.

just wind the strings properly and there is no issue.