Decision to be made.....can you help?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parksie, Oct 24, 2021.

1. RNBQ

RNBQ Strat-Talk Member

What she don’t know…!

Kinda like the color…but:
    Weight would be an issue for me
    3-bolt neck/bullet Strat
    The frets…?
    Would be questions I’d want to know!
    I’d be more inclined to keep the Am Vint cuz it has a V-neck. If it has those dinky frets, replace them.
    Early 56/62 RI Strats are worth some $$.

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

I see you probably made the right choice. Bird in the hand/grass is always greener type of thing.

But I have to say, although I've never been a real fan of mocha, that's the prettiest one I've ever seen. Maybe it's the pictures of the others I've seen, but the grain showing through on that one makes it just spectacular.

Parksie and TN703800 like this.
  3. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

Never sell a guitar you like. There's nothing you can do on the replacement that you can't already do on the one you alread have. Too many lemons about to buy sight unseen.

Sarnodude, Parksie and cranky like this.
  4. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

One looks serious, one looks fun.

They both look good.

Would you be able to keep both?

Old stuff is usually more work.

I would be content if I was you. But I'm a 90s guy, didn't start playing guitar until 2003/4, no electric guitar until 2006/7. So I don't have the nostalgia factor to deal with.

Parksie likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Were you considering selling your partcaster before you saw the brown one? If so, why? What don’t you like about it enough to want to out it? If the answer to the first question is ‘no’, you’ve seen a guitar for sale that you like and have GAS. If it’s ‘yes’ then what is the answer to the second question? If it’s ‘because I really dislike XYZ’, then ask yourself whether you dislike it enough to change the answer to question one to ‘yes’. You still have GAS, but there is at least a reason for getting rid, tenuous though it might be! The ideal answer as others have suggested, try both side by side. There’s little doubt in my mind you’ll either wind up with two guitars or convince yourself the brown one is better simply because you went to such great lengths and expense to ship it home.

PS. I don’t like guitars that look like bits of furniture.

6. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

Just from an aesthetic standpoint I like the mocha better. One of the few strats that I have seen that looks good with black plastics.

Parksie likes this.
  7. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I never really cared for the heavy, 3 bolt neck 70’s Strats. I’d keep the vintage reissue.

Parksie likes this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Would need better pictures, but there are a few things I see that make me question the originality/authenticity.
    Saddles, headstock decal possibly... the string trees have definitely been changed.
    I recall that finish as being less transparent, but I've not seen a lot of them and may be misremembering.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  9. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

No advice from me as both guitars are nice. But I've never seen that Mocha color before...WOW!!

10. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Agree a test drive would be advisable, however, I really have no way of doing this so would have to bite the bullet and just buy it without having this opportunity.

Sadly living is Sydney does have some drawbacks when it comes to buying guitars on line as most for sale are in the USA or Europe.

11. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

It really is a nice colour but certainly not universally liked.

Personally I love it.

12. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

To me it’s one of those guitars that if you don’t bond with it your stuck with it. Despite what the internet says about 70’s fender, mocha brown, heavy weight, those are all valid points and even without the internet people know it.

My rule is if I have to convince myself I’ll like it, it’s a guitar I won’t buy. Cool history, sentimental attachment but still there’s a lot of people who would not consider buying that. I’d rock that in a heart beat though and to me it’s one of the worst colours if you can even call it a colour. Love the vibe/look or it.

Textele and Parksie like this.
  13. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The international shipping would put me off at the moment. Not that I have experience, and might be fine, just seems like it could be dicey.

CB91710 and Parksie like this.
  14. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I don't mean this derogatory by any means. But are you more of a collector, or more of a player?

If your AVRI is a great player, then I would get the Mocha, and have both if possible.

Then you can make the decision, or if you must let one go, having them side by side.

Wish you the best whatever you decide to do.

15. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Trigger warning. This is going to get dark real fast:

I turned 48 last week. I know that's young by the standards of many here, and I'm well aware dealing with the under 30s that you can't put an old head on young shoulders. But on the same day we lost a member of the neighbours family. He was 62. I've known him since I was 7. We weren't close, but that family has been part of my family for 4 decades. It's hit home that I have fewer years ahead of me than I have behind me.

So ... my view on this stuff at the moment is: sod it. $4k in Australian terms isn't chump change, but nothing here is. In our country it's $20-$30 for a decent lunch that lasts 45 minutes, $50 for a movie ticket + pop-corn + a drink that lasts a couple of hours, over $80-200 for a rock gig or musical that lasts two-four... so even conservatively: entertainment here is something like $40 an hour. If you are going to get 100 hours of enjoyment from this guitar... buy it.

Parksie, Mr_Lahey and Textele like this.
  16. Mr_Lahey

Mr_Lahey Strat-Talker

I agree with what a lot of people said here - get the mocha and then decide if it replaces your AVRI or not. I don’t know much about 70s- era strats, but damn that thing looks good!!!

Textele and Parksie like this.
  17. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

+1.

If your gut tells you to get the mocha and you can afford it, do it before you change your mind. You can decide later if one needs to go.

18. Parksie

Parksie Strat-Talker

Sorry to hear about your neighbour mate.

62 is way too early.

I hear you about living life to the full while you can.

I would really like to pull the trigger on this guitar however things are tight due to the effects of COVID on business and I have other priorities to deal with.

So Im going to hold onto my American Vintage until I can afford both.

I've been reminded by a few here that its too good a guitar to part with and thats been great advice.

I might mention though that I have a 2011 Les Paul Custom in Black to keep the AVRI company.

:thumb:

Electgumbo, Textele and systolsys like this.
  19. Textele

Now, I love that way of thinking! :thumb:

20. Textele

This is a solid plan, I know it's a terrible thing to let a great guitar go.

Ask me how I know.

I've tried to buy back more than a couple over the years, to no avail. I've got all I need now and I'm not letting ANY of them go.

There will be a Mocha 70's Strat for you when you're ready.

Parksie likes this.