Join Strat-Talk Today

Delay vs reverb? One, none or both?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Cerb, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I typically use both. I have three different flavors of Delay that I like to use depending on what I am doing. My go to has become the TC electronics Gauss Tape Echo but I also use a Carbon Copy with a Molten Voltage controller or one that I built myself that I call the Cosmic Ocean. As far as reverb goes, I have been using a Mr. Black Eterna Gold but one of the best "on a budget" reverb pedals I have ever seen or used was a Biyang Tri-Verb.

Silvercrow, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  2. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

I mean it's sort of the same but sort of not. I personally prefer reverb over delay but I own two delay pedals, the MXR Carbon Copy and the EHX Canyon. The MXR is an analog delay and the Canyon is a digital with different types, swell, reverse, modulated, echo, multi, octave, tape, deluxe memory man, etc.

The tape is probably my favorite setting on the Canyon. But, my amp is generally set to about 3 on the reverb factor always. I find it just sounds better than a totally clean amp. Sometimes though for lead I will use both though.

abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

When I'm at home plunking around I use a lot of reverb and delay. Sometimes I'll stack a shimmer or mod verb in front of a bright hall or something with a nice delay in front. It sounds fuller and more enjoyable for me to just noodle around on by myself. When I'm with the band I tone all that down significantly. Usually a digital delay of around 400ms in front of a plate verb with the wet level on both pretty far down. Up until a couple of weeks ago I used a Big Sky and DD500. Now I use an HX Effects. Close enough when it's all in a rock mix and I went from a huge board down to a PT Metro 20. One less trip from the car to the band room is a big deal when you get older lol

abnormaltoy, circles and Cerb like this.
  4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Well I play a lot of dry stuff. I don’t find funk rhythm takes to kindly to delay and reverb. But on other tunes I’ll use reverb or a little delay on the slow tunes to pretty things up a bit. My old Music Mans and the Fender Super Sonic have nice reverbs in them. I have a HOF mini with the Spring Onion TonePrint in it for use in the loops of the Soldano and 3Rd Power. My normal delay of choice is a TC Flashback... but I also like my old H2O and Tonerider Analog Delay. Oh yeah I got a Wampler Ethereal thing on the board now for crazy Delay/Reverb hijinks!

abnormaltoy, mshivy and Cerb like this.
  5. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a couple of amps without any reverb or tremolo. I usually have a Boss TR2 tremolo on most of the time.

guitarmikey, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Reverb 60%-80% of the time

Delay 5% of the time

abnormaltoy, mshivy and Cerb like this.
  7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I have a mild amount of reverb on all of the time...just enough to keep it from sounding completely dry, flat, and lifeless (sounds like I'm using hair conditioner).

Delay is something I would use on some guitar solos to give it more of an big epic sound.

I know players that don't use reverb and will use delay in it's place. If I remember correctly, John Petrucci said that he doesn't use any reverb.

abnormaltoy, rocknrollrich and Cerb like this.
  8. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Both, but it depends on the room, the music etc,

Nick-O, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I use a short slapback delay (or sometimes two :whistling: ) and reverb 99.99% of the time

10. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

Never been a reverb guy, it always washes out at stage volume in my experience anyway give me delay!! Analog and digital both have their own distinct purposes and I use both...

11. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I've never been a reverb guy, Some make it sound cool, some use it to mask their lack of ability. I'm not really much on delay, except for the rare occasion I want the "Helicopter Sound" from the intro of Cochise:

The first 25 seconds is just a delay pedal, a whammy pedal (don't really need it) and slapping the strings with your picking hand, and muting with the other.

12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I use this with a touch of reverb on my amp..

th.jpg

13. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I usually with touch of delay and a touch of reverb, just 'cause.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I assumed this was for home consumption. The reverb is there to make up for not being on stage in a larger area or at stage volume (though our band's stage volume was never high, that's what the PA was for).

Ash-Man, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  15. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

It depends on the sound you are looking for.
    I prefer reverb for the most part. But I would never use a pedal for reverb that goes against every ethic of my guitar tone.

16. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

I bought a reverb and delay around the same time. The reverb was always on and I used the delay for one song, White Rabbit. As it happened, I turned my reverb off one day and realized that the delay was on and my tone was nice. After experimenting with both I discovered my reverb was putting a damp on my tone, so I got rid of it. Now my cheap little Memory Toy is always on with the blend cranked all the way to the left until I play White Rabbit. :)

17. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Live...delay.
    Recording...both.

18. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i use both but only a little.

i have a tc electronics g major 2 rack with amazing reverbs and delays imo but i just use my amps reverb and a boss dd6 pedal for delay.

except for the occasional wah party my pedal board is just od,dist,chorus and delay.

mshivy, abnormaltoy and Cerb like this.
  19. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been playing forever, but only became interested in pedals semi-recently.

I've usually played Fender amps...so, I've gotten used to Reverb, I keep it pretty mild though, maybe on 3 or 4.

Delay...I've tried delays before (as a matter of fact, I just dug an old one out of my bag of tricks), I never saw a huge difference between delay and reverb.

Recently...in the youtube era, I'll see a video of some player with good sound doing an interview or the like, when they play or rather when they stop, there's that telltale one repeat. So I have come to the conclussion...if players who have nice sound use delay maybe I need to find a away to squeeze it in, to bring some girth to my board.

I may even try to fit a bit of compression in, but, maybe not.

20191017_134447.jpg

mshivy, Ash-Man and Cerb like this.
  20. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

fender spring reverb...leo was a genius

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.