Join Strat-Talk Today

Delayed NGD Cheap Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by snoopdoug, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

1. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

Well @Fuggle and @jaxjaxon motivated me to get this thing off the rack and play it a little when I got home today.

It's a really nice guitar for what it is, $130 or $140 on Amazon Prime. It was an impulse buy because Ive always wanted a double cut and there were only a few left, they were gone within a few hours of my order.

I immediately put on a black tusq xl nut, which I think has the bonus of looking nicer than stock on top of the teflon being so slippery. But then I didn't play it once for like 2 months. Today I deepened the nut slots some, which also fixed a tiny tiny bit of buzz I had on the A and D string with the precut tusq nut.

Full size pots, but they are pretty stiff, maybe some contact cleaner will free it up a little bit? Orange drop cap, even though I'm not too particular on what type of cap, it is still kind of a nice touch. Not too many issues with quality. Slight orange peel on the finish in the right light, I guess they sprayed the finish on too thick too fast. The black paint on the headstock didn't go all the way to the nut, but there was a bunch of finish slopped on there that kinda covered it up (it became obvious when I scored and removed the nut). One pot was a little loose. I think that's about it. Frets don't buzz at the action I play, I haven't tried it any lower. No fret sprout. Fretboard looks nice.

I think I put some mineral oil on when the strings were off, and I think it was turning the rags black. I don't really remember because I wasn't too worried about it, but my fingers turned a little black today playing it. Not sure what that could be, some sort of dye, oil from the factory, saw dust that was stuck in the grain?

Do the Gibson double cuts have a little arm cut? Never noticed it before on a Gibson, and its hard to see in these pics but there is a slight chamfer for an arm cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm curious how the neck is set, it looks like it could barely be glued in. Is it possible or likely that the neck is only glued in as deep as the fretboard goes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fuggle likes this.
  2. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-O-Master

Use the mineral oil sparingly at first and see if your cloth turns brown. if it does then wipe it down with out any more oil. till the cloth dosent turn drown. hey for a 140$ guitar you wont get perfection but you can eazyly make it very good.

Groovey and snoopdoug like this.
  3. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I’ll give it a shot next string change, maybe sooner if it keeps turning my fingers black.

4. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

Glad to do my part! Those yellow double cuts are cool guitars. A lot of Firefly players talk about the black fingers. It goes away.

Groovey likes this.
  5. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

The neck should be glued in with a tenon joint not dissimilar to this
    [​IMG]

Nick-O and snoopdoug like this.
  6. 2GoneDE

2GoneDE Strat-Talker

Looks like you got a Firefly! I have had mine since last May. It is my "kids are around/ couch guitar". There have been a few reported stinkers...but generally these are fantastic for the price. There is a following for these guitars and they sell out fast. They just did a bunch of Les Paul copies that look pretty good. Screenshot_20200116-111642_Gallery.jpg

snoopdoug likes this.
  7. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

It only looks different to me because it isn't just the fretboard that sits on the body, a bit of the neck is above the body too.

[​IMG]

I mean, it's still possible that it has a nice tenon, I just haven't seen anything like it before. Then again I'm not necessarily looking for it.

I assumed it would be something like this:
    [​IMG]

And not something like this:
    [​IMG]

I don't want to pretend I know the ins and outs of guitar making, it just seemed to me that gluing a fretboard to a flat neck/tenon would be easier/more cost effective than gluing a fretboard to a neck/tenon and then putting it back in the CNC machine to route out the rest of the tenon so it will sit flush with the body.

8. snoopdoug

snoopdoug Strat-Talker

I really like that matte/satin black.

Somebody here posted a green les paul copy yesterday, and it does look very nice. They are so cheap I almost want one just to have one, but I barely even play my real les paul so I'm holding off. The 338 or whatever they call their hollowbody is kinda tempting, because I dont have that style guitar yet. Have you ever played the Epiphone Dot? If so, are they similar? Maybe I can get an Epiphone Dot with their new headstock, which looks pretty nice to me.

9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Depends on a lot of factors pitch of neck angle etc :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.