Deluxe Reverb Tone Master? Something different?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by mohnjossey, Oct 5, 2021.

1. mohnjossey

mohnjossey Strat-Talk Member

Hey gang. Looking for some input. I'm playing primarly single coil blues/country/funk through my Mustang LT25 modeling amp. Looking to get something to gig with in the near future. Not playing with a drummer at this time but I likely will be at some point. I've been saving money for quite some time now and I'm nearing the total amount to purchase one of those pretty new Deluxe Reverb Tone Masters. I come to you all with a slight case of buyer trepidation because it's taken me a long time accumulate this amount of money and I want to be sure I'm making the best choice. I'm not completely tied down to any particuluar spec or brand but I need to keep it down around $800/$900. Just looking for something with lots of clean headroom, large dynamic range and great value. I've never owned a tube-amp so that does have a slight appeal to it. Does anyone have any good or bad experierences they can share about purchasing their first "big boy" amp?

JP68 and Cerb like this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I've never played a TM so I can't say anything about them. I have gone through quite a few amps. Tube amps, solid state amps and modeling amps. I don't care one bit what's on the inside of an amp, only how I like it when I play through it.

Having said that, I can't say enough good things about Quilter amps. I'm on my second one now, the Aviator Cub. It does everything you ask for and it's cheaper than the TM.

I suggest you try one, if you can.

Antstrat, Nokie, Torvald and 4 others like this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I suggest that you go out and try every amp that you can plug into. Only your ears will know what suits you.

It's a good way to have a bit if fun too.

jwag, Nate D, Antstrat and 5 others like this.
  4. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

In my opinion (which is what you're asking for) i wouldn't buy the tone master as your "bigboy amp".

dont get me wrong, it is a big boy amp, but it's not the real Deluxe Reverb and that might be annoying to know it's almost it.

if you want to go solid state, fender has a bunch of other great choices, but if you want to go DELUXE REVERB,

find a used DRRI

Of course this is my opinion and you will love the tone master too.

jwag, teleamp, Cerb and 1 other person like this.
  5. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I have owned a lot of very nice tube amps over the years, I'm not an expert, but I know how they feel and react.

I bought a twin reverb tone master several months ago based on some YouTube reviews. It sounds amazing, you will not be disappointed. It's my go to amp now.

Groovey, Nokie and Cerb like this.
  6. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

I love my Tonemaster Twin as well. I have two other '65 Twin RI's and I hear no difference in the A/B tests I've done at the stores and at home. I played the Tonemaster Super at a Guitar Center and thought it sounded even better - as Supers do for overall tone - the Twins are better for clean tones at louder volumes. I wish they'd loaded the Tonemaster Super with neodymium speakers for lighter weight but it's still quite light compared to the tube versions.

nigelr and Cerb like this.
  7. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Some may hate me for what I'm about to say but I have sold every tube amp I've ever owned. Had many great ones like a 65 Blackface Fender, Fender Bassman, nice twin (actually have owned 2), Bugera, Carl's Custom and many more but I am not a fan of having a pedal board which you will need for the different styles of music. I almost always use a modeling amp these days. I record every chance I get and in the studio I either use my Fender Mustang GT100 or my Vox. I enjoy the Mustang simply because I have so many presets that I take the first 10 or so and create the sounds for certain types of music without the need of 4-5 pedals. I would not have an issue gigging with that amp either. I play mainly Blues or Blues based rock and my amps sound great and better than my tube amps did.

Bottom line is don't buy something because you think you should. Go out check out a variety of amps that have enough power to do what you want and pick the one you like the best, be it tube or solid state.

jtoomuch, SurfsUp, Torvald and 2 others like this.
  8. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Asking for amp recommendations is like asking what kind of car to get. There are 100 options, and almost all of them would be perfectly fine. If you search this site or other sites you will find reviews and opinions on every amp there is. You will also become very very confused. Because everyone seems to recommend whatever amp they themselves have and like. If 50 people respond to this thread, you will get 50 different recommendations. So let's start with this: The Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster is a very good amp which is very versatile. It sounds great and has many useful modern features. It is PLENTY loud enough for anything you would want to use it for. I just got one myself, and sold my tube version DRRI as a result. More and more people are doing the same thing all the time.

That being said, everyone has their own preference, and lots of people prefer different things. Other people may prefer Marshall, or Vox, or Peavey, or one of the many different Fenders, or some other brand. They're all good. So my advice is to remember a few basics: You don't need a super-expensive, super-loud, super-rare, super-heavy amp to have a really good amp. Try as many as you can. And don't be afraid to buy used. Buying good gear used at a fair price allows you to try out lots of things, because you can always resell them and get your money back.

Higgins1980, The_Whale and JP68 like this.
  9. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

buying guitar gear because we can rarely leads to tone heaven.

try as many amps as you can with your guitar and you will know what amps you like.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. teleamp

teleamp Strat-Talker Silver Member

Never tried one but, I would A/B it against a Blues Jr. and buy whichever one sounded best... (sorry, I'm a toob type) Or save up a tad more and get a Custom Pro Reverb...

11. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Great amp in its own right but it did not feel and sound like a real Deluxe Reverb in the time I spent with the TM version.

12. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

I own a new Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb 200W Blonde digital amp. It is amazing. So, maybe not the older tube amp you're looking for. But the A/B comparisons I did with on older tube version of a very similar Fender amp were indistinguishable to me (full disclosure, I wear hearing aids dealing with 50% loss above 2k).

I think this is a great gigging amp because it's lighter, can blow the windows out of any medium size venue, and takes pedals with aplomb. After 4 months I have decided I like this amp better than my Marshall DSL40CR (tube amp that I love and won't ever sell, but I like the Fender better).

Hope this was helpful.

Mike Manhost67, The_Whale and nigelr like this.
  13. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

I have 2 ToneMaster Deluxii. Deluxes. A Blonde and a Black. Nice.

rct

14. mohnjossey

Interesting. I'm wondering if there's a big difference between the blonde and black. Blonde comes with the Celestion Creamback and from what I've read, it's worth the extra $100 or so because you get some better midrange overtones. What are your thoughts?

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  15. mohnjossey

I'm so grateful for this community and being able to briefly pop by, leave a msg and come back the next day for some truly helpful info. You guys/girl are the best!

16. mohnjossey

THIS right here is why I made this post. I'm going ASAP to my local music shop to try one of these guys out.

Cerb likes this.
  17. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

150D9476-B84B-4B97-81DE-7C3E93E0F21D.jpeg I am a huge tube amp snob. Owned or played thru all the epic iron. I no longer can rely on other folks to lug my gear.

Bought a DR TM. Took it to first band practice and pulled off the ToneMaster emblem. Fooled everyone completely. After practice a band mate decided to help me load out and picked it up. He said the heck it this?

I said it’s a ToneMaster.

First gig the other night. It was indistinguishable from any tube DR live. Took my pedals great. Ran on 12w setting with a SM57 mic to the PA. (Had the truck packed in 5 M with no sore back) 24#

Can’t recommend it enough…

Straticus, BigNorm, l88vette and 3 others like this.
  18. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I’ve got one and am very happy with it. It’s very close to the tube sound and I’d be willing say if you’r playing with others in a mix you couldn’t tell a difference. Maybe when your by yourself but not with others. Bonus points for weight and the attenuation practice levels fit a small apartment like my own. Nobody has complained yet.

nigelr likes this.
  19. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

If you by the original black version there is a plug in for updates at the fender site. If I remember correctly, when the blonde version came out you could update the black version to the updated blonde. I don’t even remember the specific difference in the 2. So if the black version is cheaper I believe you could do the upgrade. Double check me though. It’s been a while since that upgrade came out.

20. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

First, both of mine are properly jacked out so I can use my 1x12 cab under them. Or on the other side. So that's the only difference between mine and the ones in the store.

I've updated both. The Black needed one early on, fix the reverb and trim the highs off it. The Blonde is as updated as they get.

The Blonde has the Creamback in it. It is, for me, a more Rock appropriate speaker. Focused, nice Celestion type overdrives from the pedals, yes better mids.

The Black has the usual Special Design or whatever Fender is calling their Jensen or equivalents these days. It is, for me, more vague, more "Fender", not as great for where I spend most of my nights, on the harder grindier rockier side of things. It's mids amount to a fairly difficult to dial out spike, and I don't know why.

Both nice cleans, that's the easiest part for any amp really. Both good with pedals. Both plenty loud enough for my (usually) too loud band(s). I will pretty soon change out the Black speaker for one of the Creamback Celestion Neos that are in the Blonde. Same light weight, better sound overall to me. I will probably change the V30 out of my cab for one of these Creamback Neos as well, lose about 8 pounds off it.

I've got side handles on mine as well, much better for my up and down the steps in and out of the house current situation. 21 pounds is a nice amp, couple side handles is even better.

In comparison to any/all Deluxeii I've ever owned or used, it's pretty much the same. Fender cleans are pretty easy to do, so there's the hard part. T00b Deluxeii are just as good with pedals. All in all, not much difference at all. Half the weight, not maintaining and schlepping tubes and fuses.

Above all, QUIET. Quietest digital type amp I've ever used. Volume up = volume up, not just noise accentuation as happens with lots of digital amps when the bass and drums and vocs get going. QUIET. Really important for me.

rct