Deluxe Reverb Tone Master? Something different?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by mohnjossey, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Supersonicuser

Supersonicuser Strat-Talk Member

I recommend you try a Supersonic 22. I have one that I have used for years: many gigs, at home in my small office studio, rehearsals. You can pick one up used at GC (check the used listings) have it delivered to the store and try it out for 45 days and if you don't like it - return it no questions. It has three voicing, takes pedals well, and its a tube amp that you should try out. I do have a '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, a Vibrolux, and many other tube amps. You stated you have a modeling amp, so I recommend trying this out. Some people have complained about the reliability of tube amps, and Supersonic 22's, but I have had no issues.

Cerb and hrstrat57 like this.
  2. Morf2540

Morf2540 Senior Stratmaster

Yes that's exactly what I did. Bought the black one but installed the blonde firmware. It was a snap. So the only difference between the two is the speaker itself. not sure if the creamback is worth an extra $100. Never had the chance to try one.

jwj1701 likes this.
  3. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Go tube. You won't go back. TMs sound OK on clean but will never overdrive or take pedals like a real tube amp. The feel is just so much nicer in the low mids.

For that price you should look for a used custom 68 pro, deluxe or even Vibrolux.

I've never heard of even one person buying an amp from the custom 68 line and not liking it. That's your ticket.

4. Stingzy

Stingzy Strat-Talk Member

After many years of mainly using Fender and Peavey tube amps, I began reading about and watching vids of the Tone Master series. I then got it in my mind to buy a Tone Master DR, as it was light, tubelike-enough, more like the Fender sound I now wanted after years of using only a modded vintage Peavey Classic 30 and Classic 20.

I started researching the reviews and YouTube vids on the TMDR and the Quilter Aviator Cub, was blown away by how much more I preferred the Quilter sound to the TMDR, and ended up buying a used on one on eBay last night at a good price. Now, I can’t wait to get mine delivered and to hear it for myself to see if the videos were accurate. Like me, you also might consider listening to a few videos if you wanted to consider the Quilter as a TMDR alternative.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Cerb likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I think you'll like the Quilter. The EQ section takes some getting used to though. Hit me up if you need some advice when you get it ;)

Textele likes this.
  6. Stingzy

Thank you very much for your kind offer, @Cerb! I was pleasantly surprised to see how many of the elements that I am looking for (weight, tone, simplicity) that this amp embodies. If I have any questions, I won’t hesitate to ask you, and I really appreciate your support!

Cerb likes this.
  7. Stingzy

@mohnjossey - I really apologize, as I didn’t mean to derail your thread, but you and I might be looking for similar things in an amp, and maybe this alternative might also appeal to you.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Cerb likes this.
  8. mohnjossey

mohnjossey Strat-Talk Member

Okay so I just went to Guitar Center and they're having GUITAR-A-THON through October. Insane deals all over. Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster is $699, Twin Reverb Tonemaster is $799 and Super Reverb Tonemaster is $899. Wild. Now I'm wondering if I want to step it up and go with a Twin Reverb Tonemaster? Jerry Garcia is probably my biggest guitar influence beside John Mayer so it's very tempting to go with the Twin Reverb. Can anyone share some experience about deciding between the two? Is it really worth the extra clean headroom for $100? I'm mostly going to be playing at quieter volumes so maybe the Deluxe Reverb makes more sense and then I can always stick a mic on it or run XLR out if I'm playing a bigger venue? I guess these are good problems to have :)

Stingzy, Mike Manhost67 and Cerb like this.
  9. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

Based on this thread (and others) I just pulled the trigger on a Quilter. Only 5 minutes in but the Blonde channel is tasty.

Stingzy, mohnjossey and Cerb like this.
  10. Cerb

The blonde is my least favorite one, but I lile it with hot humbuckers. I can't decide which I like best of the other two.

You can combine two channels with an AB-Y pedal.

Stingzy likes this.
  11. Stingzy

I’m due to receive my Cub in the mail later today, and can’t wait to weigh in on the channel flavors. I only use single coils, so that will skew it somewhat.

Cerb likes this.
  12. marksound

marksound Strat-O-Master

This is posted in another thread, but I think there's some great amp wisdom if you listen to what he's saying.

Mike Manhost67 likes this.
  13. Cerb

I did give the Blonde a good playthrough today, with a strat. It actually sounds really good. Bass at 9 o clock, mids at 1 o clock and treble at 11 o clock. Very nice!

Stingzy likes this.
  14. Stingzy

I played mine for a few minutes tonight, and I have to admit that as of now, I like the Blonde input the best so far. I think that the specific Strat pickups that any of us is using interacts very differently from each other with this same amp. I’m using Fralin Vintage Hots with a maple FB. I have the tones all at about 12 o’clock, the gain at 12, and the master maxed out. I will be sure to try your settings tomorrow, Cerb.

My main initial impression is that the Quilter sound is very detailed and responsive to picking pressure, and SO much more refined in general than the Boss Katana 50 that I had once bought and promptly returned! The volume is not as loud as I had anticipated, but maybe I can open it up a bit more tomorrow, as it’s almost midnight here in NY, and my neighbors in my apartment building won’t love my playing at this hour as much as I might doing it!

Have you found that the gain increases are pretty subtle until you hit about 3 or 4 o’clock? It seems to be fairly mild until then, and then goes from modest to very saturated VERY quickly at the made out position.

Cerb likes this.
  15. Cerb

Yes, the gain has that ketchup efffect. The last bit on the knob really adds a lot.

When you do increase the gain, play around with the limiter too. It's pretty cool.

Stingzy likes this.
  16. Stingzy

Ha- the ketchup effect! I’ve never heard something referred to in that way, but it is very accurate description of that type of responsiveness in a control!

Cerb likes this.
  17. Cerb

Yeah, we have that saying over here. As I wrote it I started wondering if younger people today would understand it, so I had to go check if they still sell ketchup in glass bottles. They don't. It's all plastic squeeze bottles now, so I guess the saying will soon be lost.

Impulsive guppy and Stingzy like this.
  18. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

My next amp will be a Tone Master of some sort.

I'm so done with tubes. The popping. Crackle...volume drops. No more

My Fender HRDlx has had volume issues since day one. Never reliable.
    My Marshall TSL100 needs a solid 5 minutes to warm up before I hit that standby switch or there's static like mad. It just blew it's 1a fuse right before I was having new guys over for a first jam, so I use my Carvin V16, and by the end of the night even IT was acting up.

I'm 48 and grew up with the mentality "tubes or nothing" well, my Madison Square Garden days are behind me. Hell, were never even in FRONT so why do I need a 100w Marshall? I can't even use it to its potential, regardless.

I'm in the stage of my life where my mindset is slowly reversing all that cork-sniffing nonsense I was raised with.

Sixstringer107, Stingzy and Cerb like this.
  19. Stingzy

My being 68 allows me to vividly remember those glass ketchup bottles, so it's a fantastic metaphor! I wouldn't have thought it being a saying in Sweden s much as in the US, what with diner culture here so embedded, Cerb, but it's a very cool that you in Scandinavia share it, too!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Cerb likes this.
  20. Stingzy

I'm totally with you on all accounts that you raise, @SurfsUp! Being"traditional" for the sake of tradition (with tubes being the only "real" sound) is no longer so relevant, as these much lighter, less fussy amp alternatives get better and better in leaps and bounds.

SurfsUp and Cerb like this.