Deluxe Reverb Tone Master? Something different?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by mohnjossey, Oct 5, 2021.

1. mohnjossey

mohnjossey Strat-Talk Member

All right thought I would post an update for those that care. I took the info that Guitar Center was selling the Tone Masters for $200 less to my local guitar shop (I would rather give them the business) who said they would beat the price. Ended up with the Twin Reverb for $750 plus tax and I could not be happier about it. Open mic at my local pub was cancelled last night so I wasn't able to fully try it out in a full band setting but I'm looking forward to that. I like the idea of being able to plug my keyboard into this as well. Such an incredable amp with so much potential. I've started to wonder what kind of craziness or rather how far Fender could go with Frimware updates in the future. I wonder if people will unlock it like an Apple phone, void the warranty and then be able to do crazy customization. The future is wild and exciting... water is warm... come on in.

l88vette, Stingzy, Cerb and 1 other person like this.
  2. Stingzy

Stingzy Strat-Talk Member

Nice bargaining!! I didn’t know that there was any flexibility that dealers had about going below MSRP. I’m glad for you that you got the amp that you wanted, and at a price below the TM Deluxe!

Do you feel that you can get enough tubelike grit in addition to the cleans that the Twin is legendary for?

Cerb likes this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Hot Rod Deluxe.

4. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Good choice. The twin has legions of diehard fans and has rocked many an audience into sonic oblivion. The TM presumably saves you a lot of weigh - always the knock on the twin - so this sounds like a best-case scenario.

Interested to hear what you think of it once you've had the chance to play out with it.

Cerb and Mike Manhost67 like this.
  5. Theron

Theron Strat-Talker

Where the heck are you seeing the Deluxe Reverb TM for $699?!?! Their website still shows $899....

Morf2540 likes this.
  6. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

I called my local GC and asked about those prices. I thought at $899 for a Super I would be crazy not to get one. They told me the ToneMaster amps were not on sale. So congratulations on a great deal.

Cerb and Morf2540 like this.
  7. mohnjossey

Went there in person and they were part of the Guitar-A-Thon deal going through October.

Cerb likes this.
  8. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-O-Master

Here’s a pretty detailed run through of a tone master deluxe:

SurfsUp, Cerb and Stingzy like this.
  9. mohnjossey

Yeah you can get some decent natural overdrive by turning the attentuator down to the lowest setting of 1W and then diming the volume. Messing with tone controls allows you to shape it nicely. I have never ventured down the pedal path so needless to say I'm now looking at Tube Screamers clones :) It's such a joy learning about the electric guitar and just tone hunting in general.

Cerb and Stingzy like this.
  10. Stingzy

Stingzy Strat-Talk Member

I'm excited for your excitement! There is really nothing quite like discovering the joys of new sound possibilities and ways to create, and I vividly remember those times many, many years ago. Best of luck to you in your tone search, and I look forward to seeing your posts as to what you will be finding!!

Cerb likes this.
  11. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

Congrats on the new amp! Enjoy. I have the DRRI version and it is my main gigging amp. The Twin with the attenuation is a god send for Twin fans!

SurfsUp, Cerb and Stingzy like this.
  12. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

My opinion is that many people who own and play tube amps are not using them in a way that maximizes their strength. I've met so many people using all types of different tube amps at bedroom volumes with 10+ pedals. If this is how you use your amp (and there is NOTHING wrong with this!) you will be served just as well with a solid state amp.

Playing a DR in its sweet spot is an amazing experience, but it is not a reasonable volume for every day home use. Same goes for Supers etc... Lowering the output by way of attenuation may net you some of the tone, but I think high volume is an important part of the experience and the sound of a tube amp.

I think the tone masters are a great addition, but I don't believe they can entirely replace real tube amps for a small percentage of people who enjoy an intimate relationship with a good tube amp.

SurfsUp, tanta07, Stingzy and 2 others like this.
  13. mohnjossey

You might be on to something there. Did you have a chance to try out a Tone Master yet?

14. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

I actually went to Guitar Center today and just as you said $699 for the Tonemaster Deluxe. I asked why they told me on the phone they weren't on sale and was told that they can't advertise at that price and that it is an in store special. In my opinion a really good deal.

15. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Great video!!!

I can't hear much of a difference TBH!

Stingzy likes this.
  16. Theron

Theron Strat-Talker

Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow....

Stingzy likes this.