Deluxe roadhouse vs Fender 2020 American Professional Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rommel19540, Nov 22, 2020.

1. rommel19540

rommel19540 New Member!

Hey folks have important question that I hope to get quick feedback on. A week ago I got the fender deluxe roadhouse strat. This is my first and possibly last upper tier guitar I bought, technically I guess it's middle tier but whatever. What I liked about this and still do to some degree is the s1 switching preamp Jawn. I didn't know when I ordered it that preamp needed 9v battery so I find that little disconcerting. While playing other day the volume cut out momentarily when using guitar with preamp activated. Really pissed me off. Now could be battery or one of my cables, I was connected thru wah pedal and 1 cables is new and other 1 several years old. I just doubt it was cable as I wasn't moving a whole lot. Another variable I was using cheap wired headphones thru amp as it was early morning (3am) and people sleeping in houser. I bought from guitar center[GC) and have 45 days, now 38, to decide if I want to keep. I noticed that a GC less than hour away has used Fender 2020 American Professional Stratocaster in "like New" condition for 1150 in exactly same appearance as my roadhouse 3 colors sunburst. In an exchange I be paying probably less than 400 maybe less 350 for this guitar. So can I please get some honest opinions hopefully from someone who played both guitars

Handsome McClane likes this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @rommel19540

I don't think Guitar Center would accept $400 for trade in towards Am. Pro Strat.

3. TimJ

TimJ Strat-Talker

If you haven’t checked the battery I’d do that. The battery on a Roadhouse will last for ages unless a) you aren’t using a decent brand of battery or b) you leave the guitar plugged in.

or it could be an internal wire gone wrong. But if you like the guitar I wouldn’t let that be the reason you get rid of it, unless you genuinely want the Professional more.

4. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

If @rommel19540 got the Roadhouse at GC then he is still within the return window on it; I think he meant that he would be paying an additional $350-$400 on the deal - returning the Roadhouse and getting the used American Professional.

5. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @John C

Ahh. That makes sense.

6. systolsys

systolsys Strat-Talk Member

Assuming this is a late run American Professional (but not a new American Professional II):
    2 main differences in how the guitar plays:
    - The American Professional has a 9.5" radius fingerboard. The Roadhouse has a 12".
    - The Roadhouse has the contoured neck heel. The American Professional doesn't. (I can be corrected here, but pretty sure that's new to the recently updated 2020 model).

These may or may not affect you, but if you are playing fast runs around the high frets and like big bends with low action, then this may be a consideration.

The other big difference is the sound. The main selling point for the Roadhouse is the pre-amp and the six-way switch to give working musicians a variety of sounds on demand. But if you don't need it, or are having trust issues with the battery, then that may not be a selling point for you.

There is nothing wrong with the construction or components on the Roadhouse, but if you aren't in love with it, consider trading it in. But that also doesn't mean you will fall in love with the American Professional either. You won't know until you get your hands on it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020