Join Strat-Talk Today

Deluxe Vintage Modified?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by spellcaster, Jul 16, 2019.

1. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

I'm seeing an ad in the classifieds for a Fender Deluxe Vintage Modified. It appears to be a 40 watt tube chassis with a single speaker, and perhaps some updated features like channel switching. I recognize that this isn't going to be a BFDR or SFDR, but is it an amp worth considering?

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Id skip and just get a used HRD or Blues Deluxe.

This is a crap amp period.

Its like a Champion or Frontman amp with tubes in it....enough said.

4. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

It can be ok if your not looking for stunning responce ( to me it's no worse then a blues deluxe!) as it does got channel switching and built in effect , the specs may tell its 40 watts, but even with the best 100% rated output tubes it's only 32 watts of clean output power.

The best thing you can do with this model amp is good tubes ( only 2 preamp and 2 output) and change out the speaker to one the covers your playing style the best.

Note that a have fixed many of these that where cutting out due to dirty send and return jacks,and just jumping them out seems to help out the tone besides fixing the issue!

5. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

I'm not hearing anything that makes me want to own it. The ad made me think it might be worthwhile proposing a trade for one of my Strats, and I'm in the market for a compact amp that would fit in my car. It doesn't sound like the right one though, so I'll keep looking. Thanks for all your replies.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Roland Street or Roland Micro Cube for the win

7. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I don't see the ad in the classifieds. A Deluxe VM is a 2 x 6L6GC 40 Watt circuit that's shared with the Bandmaster VM. It's a tube amp with DSP reverb and effects.

8. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

9. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

10. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

I have a couple of big home amps....1970 Twin Reverb head with 2x15 JBL Showman cabinet for guitar and Rumble 150 with 2x15 JBL roadbox for bass, but they're both pretty impractical to haul around....18 steps up to my residence (and I'm 68) plus my car's a Nissan Micra.

I can't really afford to buy a smaller transportable amp, so I'm hoping to trade one of my guitars for one. And it would make more sense to try to make a local deal, partly because an amp's an expensive thing to ship, plus anybody taking a guitar in trade's probably going to want to play it first.

11. l88vette

l88vette Strat-Talker

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I have one and actually like it better than the Hot Rods I've owned. They are pretty good clean but you aren't going to get the tone of a Deluxe Reverb. At the right price they might be something to consider. The effects are digital but even so the reverb is very good. Here are some pics of mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.