Denny Freeman: RIP

TheMadStratter

Strat-Talker
Jul 5, 2014
Kentucky
Just heard that the Strat slinger Denny Freeman has passed. For those not familiar, he was one of the best guitarists ever to come out of the Lone Star State. Equally adept at blues & jazz, he was lead guitarist of a band where a young SRV played rhythm. Jimmie has stated that DF was primarily responsible for getting him out of his funk after Stevies death & wanting to play music again. He was also a member of Dylans band for a few years.

R.I.P. :(

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
I know his name from a few albums recorded around Austin & he was a very nice player. I don't think I've ever seen what he looks like. Same with Derek O'Brien, the name keeps cropping up on album sleeves, great player, but nobody I know (off ST) has ever heard of them.

RIP.

Stratattack72

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 4, 2010
pluton
Few videos of both Derek Obrian and Denny Free man playing with Lou Ann Barton as well . Also there is an Austin City limits with Jimmy Vaughan with Denny Freeman. He always plays that strat with the pinstriping. Good stuff

StratAlchemist

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 28, 2010
Traveler
I know his name from a few albums recorded around Austin & he was a very nice player. I don't think I've ever seen what he looks like. Same with Derek O'Brien, the name keeps cropping up on album sleeves, great player, but nobody I know (off ST) has ever heard of them.

RIP.
photo from the Texas Flood book. Great book if you have a chance to read it. I had a 5 day business trip Canada and read the entire thing during my trip. Not much to see in Winnipeg.
57139A9F-1CC3-472B-A147-78F7AF0B1A97.jpeg

TN703800

Strat-Talker
Oct 4, 2018
Las Vegas
He's well represented as an influence, in SRV's early days, in the couple of different biographies I've read. Sounded like SRV had a lot of respect for him. RIP, DF.

little_wing142

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 24, 2010
Piscataway, NJ
As someone who devours all things SRV info related I do have to say Denny Freeman and Derek O’Brien are basically the same person to me. Not sure why...

kinda like Albert Cummings and Alan Haynes, or Michael Hill or Michael Burks.

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
As someone who devours all things SRV info related I do have to say Denny Freeman and Derek O’Brien are basically the same person to me. Not sure why...

kinda like Albert Cummings and Alan Haynes, or Michael Hill or Michael Burks.

That sounds very unfair. They sound very different to me. And neither deserve to be in Stevie's shadow, any more than Jimmie does. Stevie was just one of many great guitarists from around Austin, as far as I'm concerned.

And I have no idea who the other guys you mentioned are.

little_wing142

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 24, 2010
Piscataway, NJ
That sounds very unfair. They sound very different to me. And neither deserve to be in Stevie's shadow, any more than Jimmie does. Stevie was just one of many great guitarists from around Austin, as far as I'm concerned.

And I have no idea who the other guys you mentioned are.

I totally agree, it’s super unfair, but in all the books I read and articles, those two names have been mentioned quite a bit. I never had any pictures or music to reference so I would get the 2 mixed up a lot .

stratman323

Dr. Stratster
Apr 21, 2010
London, UK
I totally agree, it’s super unfair, but in all the books I read and articles, those two names have been mentioned quite a bit. I never had any pictures or music to reference so I would get the 2 mixed up a lot .

The problem is the obsessive focus on Stevie to the exclusion of all others, by so many people. I was a huge fan of Jimmie's for 5 or 6 years before I ever heard of his little bro. Both Denny & Derek played on great albums by Angela Strehli, & also on various "Live At Antones" albums back in the days of vinyl.

Is it my imagination or did Denny also play piano?