Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Did a double take at GC when I saw this

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Ravenmore, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I was at GC and was kind of wanting to buy a Squier Deluxe in Daphne blue. They didn't have one but as I was walking out I saw this Ibanez SA130MFM for $189. This is normally a $400 guitar. It was on clearance and I'm guessing based on the scratches and kind of dingy fretboard it had kind of hung around a while on the floor. Still thought it looked like a great deal especially for GC. I went ahead and snatched it up.

I took some auto compound wax to it and instantly got rid of all scratches. I might try to clean up the fretboard when I change the strings.

IMG_20171201_194156.jpg

2. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

How does it play?

fattboyzz likes this.

3. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I've had a couple of Ibanez S series and they've all been excellent players. The bodies are thin, well contoured, and light which is nice for a mahogany body. Flame maple top is always a personal favorite. It doesn't have the wizard neck and has a less expensive trem (which I never use anyway).

The neck feels just fine though. Action is a little high but it hasn't been set up yet. It feels like the neck is a flatter radius than a strat - would like to look it up and see if I'm right.

Pickups seem like they are hotter than most strats. More umph. More full bodied. I like it so far but am getting used to it still.

It's definitely an upgrade to any strat in this price range.

4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    While browsing around a music store about a year ago, I grabbed one similar to that one just to try it out. Damn if it wasn't a nice sounding guitar. Easy to play and cheap. I was impressed. Didn't need it so I didn't buy it.

circles likes this.

5. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Yeah if it had been anywhere close to regular price I would have kept walking, but less than $200 for a mahogany body, maple neck, flame maple top, and very nice sounding pickups was too good to pass up.

Worst case scenario I sell it and maybe even make a little money. I would say it might be a good mod project but I really don't see a lot of room to improve it - I guess locking tuners and the bridge.

6. nungesser

nungesser I ain't askin' for much..Lord take me downtown... Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    nice score! looks great

Ravenmore likes this.

7. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    That looks like it's real wood grain. The one I was looking at I think had a wrap on it...the "flames" in the finish looked like newsprint if you looked really closely.

Definitely could be fun to mod! Have fun with it!

Ravenmore likes this.

8. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    I might grab some better pics - just took that shot when it was on the bench after I removed the scratches. Not super great light.

9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    Nice looking ,sounds good and great price too !

Win Win Win !

Congrats ;)

Ravenmore likes this.

10. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina

11. RobZ69

RobZ69 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 22, 2017
    The Netherlands
    Congrats!
    Thats a nice 'clean' looking guitar.

The colour, to me, looks a bit strange (a bit pinkish/purple sheen?) but this could be due to my slight colour blindness (or the picture).

The top woodgrain looks great for a guitar of that price!

Ravenmore likes this.

12. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Took some slightly better pics. Wood grain really comes through. :)
    PC051366.jpg
    PC051371.jpg
    PC051362.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Nice!!!

I have an Ibanez SA220QM I bought brand new in 2004 which was limited to 200 made. It’s an amazing guitar and beats most guitars I’ve played. The neck is phenomenal and a pure solid guitar. Nothing but great to say about it.

Here’s my SA220, just now took the pic :)
    D69ABDC9-E82F-48E7-AFB8-5AA591390C44.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Ravenmore likes this.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Whenever I play the Ibanez in the low to medium price range, I am amazed at the nice finished fret ends and the nice polish on the frets.

15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Ravenmore likes this.

16. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    Beautiful guitar - love the binding!

17. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks :) The binding is nice but now that I’m getting older it seems a little flashy but it’s still nice.

I believe SSS and HSH configurations are not so common on Ibanez guitars. Typically you see HH and HSS. Nice find!!! The maple neck is nice as well, you see more rosewood always usually. How’s the neck? The neck and thin bodies of the S series I love. Just seems so balanced and apart of you when playing or at least to me.

As Dadocaster said about low to medium priced Ibanez they are hard to beat in some of the simple but important finishing touches such as frets.

The unfortunate thing sometimes with Ibanez is they so often get associated with Metal and yes their great at that but I believe their more than just for metal. It’s a guitar with strings and it’s what you make of it or play. I believe Ibanez has tried over the years to turn this around with their AR Series, ArtCore Series, ArtStar Series and more. I believe it’s working for them and maybe soon it’ll show more.

Btw always wanted a mid 90’s Ibanez Talman when they first came out, got a love for em lol

18. Ravenmore

Ravenmore Strat-Talker

Oct 9, 2017
    Cedar Park
    My first guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar II RS440. Ever since then I've had an affinity for them in general. I've even thought about picking one of those up used just have it again. They've held their value pretty well. A clean vintage one will run $300 - $400.