Did anyone else think Star Wars Episodes 7,8 & 9 su$&#d?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by ThebiggestJerk, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

i remember the first time i saw that when they re released them in the theater and though... that was odd... was it always like that?

ugh... why....

Hydr0 likes this.
  2. Chont

Episode 8 was god awful. I'm sure i've stated this here before but since its a now a current topic again i'll say it again...

When it first started I thought they were going to rip off the plot of the Battlestar Galactica episode "33". And they should have. In that episode the Cylons were on their tail and their hyperdrive was busted so they were forced to wait 33 minutes for the hyperdrive to come back online before they could jump again and stay ahead of the cylons. It was an amazing episode and had they just stole that plot it could have made for a very riveting movie with a very simple plot. But alas... its sucked.

Despite Episode 8's utter crappy-ness... there is a scene in that film that is Gorgeous and stands up with any scene in all the films. Its almost worth watching just for this scene.

chrimturn likes this.
  3. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Two of them were just ok. The rest? Negative pressure!

4. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yeah I liked that Kamikaze scene too. Kind of reenergized my hope for the rest of the movie at that moment when I first watched it.

As far as the prequel’s go, I can also remember the feeling of being let down when the The Phantom Menace came out. All the hype leading up to it...the Years of waiting and the anticipation of characters after seeing them all over pop cans for months and months. “Wow!! A double bladed lightsaber!!””...etc etc...

In the end, for me, my disapproval might have been from both a combination of some of the characters and the actors portraying them (Hayden Christiansen’s role as Anakin) or just the same old plot and plot twists.

I don’t know. The nostalgia of the imagination of the originals is still there for me. I’m with you and most others here with Rogue One and The Mandolorian also. If the saga lives on through more individual films that go back and fill in the gaps on the timeline or another three in X, XI, XII...either way I would watch them.

Cyberi4n and Chont like this.
  5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

On top of that, it's recycled from JJ Abrams 2009 Star Trek reboot, in which Kirk's father does the same thing.

This is a point that deserves to be explored further. Even in the original movie (IV: A New Hope) Han Solo emphasized that it takes time to calculate the jump to "light speed," otherwise you might go through a star "and that'll end your trip real quick." A hyperdrive fits on ships as small as an X-wing, but TIE fighters don't have them. They appear to be finicky high maintenance devices (the one on Millennium Falcon only works half the time)--but on a torpedo it only has to work once.

Maybe hyperdrive torpedoes aren't used because they're only effective if they're really massive. As in--an X-wing sized torpedo would only leave an X-wing sized hole in the target--about as effective as ramming a battleship with a speedboat. The big capital ships can just absorb that kind of damage, even if it gets through their deflector shields. And anyway, if you're in range to target them, you're also in range of their deck cannons. So logically, your "torpedo" needs to be massive enough to soak up a few hits from those energy weapons, massive enough to overwhelm the shields, and massive enough to hit some critical explody piece inside the enemy ship. It might need to be 20-25% the mass of the target ship to be able to do those things. It just doesn't make sense to travel around space with a torpedo that's 1/4 the mass of your own ship.

6. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

The first movie ever that I remember being truly disappointed about was “Return of the Jedi.” I was 12 and waiting for that movie to come out since I was 9, 25% of my life!

They immediately killed my favorite character Bobba Fett, horribly btw...and then fought off the empire with a bunch of teddy bears in the end. Yes Lea was hot and the motorcycle speeders were cool, but I still walked out of there hating it.

I guess what I’m getting at, episodes 1-3, 7-9...may have been worse movies, but not nearly as disappointing as that mess “return of the Jedi” was to a 12-year old me.

7. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

The original three (IV, V, and VI) are all fantastic. The first three prequels are terrible - ep iii has some interesting parts at least, but episodes i and ii are utter garbage. I enjoyed the last three (VII, VIII, and IX), but they’re not that memorable. I think they’re good, but not great. Whenever I see the original three on tv, I’ll watch them, but I never do that with the more recent ones.

Rogue One is fantastic. I rank it up there with episode vi. Solo was okay, interesting, but not great.

I liked the Mandalorian a lot more than episodes 7-9.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  8. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

I thought the last 3 were entertaining but not ground-breaking or as memorable as those that preceded them, mainly because digital film-making has become so commonplace. As modern movies go, they were middle-of-the-road. But the franchise has been around for a long time, so for older viewers, it probably resonates more because of that. It was cool seeing Ian McDiarmid reprise his role as the Big Bad with more time spent on his comeuppance.

If you were around when they were first released (Okay, Boomer...): The first 3 were ground-breaking in their use of models, animatronics and physical effects to bring stuff to the screen that we'd never seen before. I bought books and magazines to see how they'd done it. I learned scratch model-building, sculpting, molding & casting, forced-perspective photography and many other things because of those movies. (It was great fun: I even quit my band as a lead guitarist so I could spend more time on it.) At that time, releases on videotape took years after theatrical release and made the films seem more special.

Between then and the prequels, digital film-making technology replaced traditional special effects. The prequels let George Lucas create digital worlds that he couldn't create with physical models and paintings. None of that affected hobby modelers like me since we weren't doing it constrained by externally-imposed budgets. The only caveat was that digital models didn't have to follow real-world laws of physics, so there were things that couldn't be modeled because they would be impossible in the real world.

Now digital SFX are so common that I only notice when it's overdone (i.e., the Transformers films).

As for the story-telling, I can't credibly critique: All were entertaining for me, and only Jar Jar Binks made me cringe. I could have never written the screenplays or acted, so I can't claim that I would have done a better job.

1/10 scale Traxxas radio controlled '79 Bronco with home-made figures (and Telecaster) made in 07/2020-- skills learned because of the original Star Wars trilogy.
    rccar03-071520a.jpg

9. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I like all except the one with teen Anakin. I hated the actor. I thought the writing was torturous.

There is no way in ANY universe Padme is attracted to that dude. She knew him as a kid. Eeew.

I actually really like the one with the pod races. Jar jar was lame but im betting kids loved him.

Cyberi4n and Chont like this.
  10. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Funny, when they speak of foreign "bad actors" in the news, I always think "Hayden Christensen?".

eclecticsynergy, dirocyn and CB91710 like this.
  11. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

The writing/directing was so horrible in those movies, I feel the kid didn’t have much of a chance...Natalie Portman came off pretty bad too..IMO...and I usually like her in movies.

he’s gonna get another chance, maybe he can redeem himself:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ho...eturning-to-star-wars-in-disney-kenobi-series

12. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Silver Member

It's difficult for many to appreciate just what "Star Wars" did for a kid like me back in the late 70's. I was 17 when the film came out and it blew me away. The world-building, the sense of scope and wonder, the use of Campbell's monomyth, the combination of Buck Rogers adventure with state-of-the-art effects in a film that took itself seriously-- it all combined to open my eyes to the possibilities of story telling and film making. There have been many wonderful SF/fantasy films since, and some of those were green-lit specifically due to the success of "Star Wars", but in 1977 there was nothing like "Star Wars". There's a reason why that film ran for a solid year at one major Indianapolis theater.

The Disney trilogy-- I blame Abrams and Kennedy. It's telling that Abrams and the writers couldn't come up with a script much better than a rehash of the original film. (Let's do a Death Star again, but...but...hey I know! This time let's make it /a hollowed-out planet/! Woo yeah! So cool!)

It's fundamental to crafting a film that at some point the viewer should care about events or characters. Rey is used to drive the story and yet she had no personality and no background, she comes into her abilities with no effort or training, she experiences no character growth and suffers no consequences for her actions. Finn had potential but became sidelined and wasted. Poe even more so. What were the film makers thinking?

Johnson's stated intention to deconstruct the Star Wars saga in #8 should have been halted on day one by the producers, if for no other reason than to maintain continuity between the films. But it wasn't. Word is that when Rian Johnson approached Abrams for insight on what to do in the second film, Abrams effectively said: "It's your film, do what you want." That is not how one builds a trilogy of sequential films. It gives some insight into why #8 had poor continuity with #7. The producers should have dealt with that problem before the start of filming, but again, they did not.

Any film worth making deserves sound story-telling and continuity, I don't care if it's a popcorn movie or an socially-conscious Oscar candidate.

Blackmore Fan and dirocyn like this.
  13. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

To make him appear more likable and portray him as a good guy.

Chont likes this.
  14. Chont

Instead it made for a confusing edit. It didn’t even look right.

Blackmore Fan, Hydr0 and CB91710 like this.
  15. Chont

I have some complaints about that but it’s really not a bad movie if you take jar jar out of the equation

It at least felt like a Star Wars movie.

16. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Agreed.
    Greedo was a bounty hunter. He would likely not have been the first to shoot, he wanted his bounty, and he would not have missed at that range.
    Han's "I bet you have" line was a perfect distraction so Greedo didn't notice the arm movement or expect the shot.
    The line made no sense with Greedo shooting first.

Blackmore Fan, Hydr0 and Chont like this.
  17. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

In my humble opinion, 1-3 tried to humanize the villain, give a bit more of insight of what turned Anakin into Vader. That is, I feel, because of the wrap up of episode 6 last scenes, where they try to show that behind every villain, there is something humane that turns them. I found that acceptable.

7-9 was nonsense. The moment Kylo removed the helmet, it all went sideways.

Rogue One was cool, Solo not that much.

The Mandalorian on the other hand...darn good.

Hydr0 and CB91710 like this.
  18. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

Also, the added CGI to pull it off looked cruddy and just...off. See also: Han Solo walking over Jabba the Hutt's tail in the added scene in the hangar.

I mean...ooof.

Hydr0 and CB91710 like this.
  19. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Mine didn't. Daughter (11 at the time) and son (9) found the thing thoroughly obnoxious. I was still rather too confused in Lucas rewriting the story...and changing scenes in the process...to bother having any interest. Being as they were children, it was on me to be there with them. So, I was stuck.

Though I thought seriously about insisting on spouse sitting through Fellini's Satyricon as payback. Except I would have had to as well.

Curses, foiled again...:thumbd:

20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I saw Star Wars when it came out from the back of a van on lawn chairs at a drive in movie. I am 'of the 70s'.

Everything after the first three were a logical combination of cash grab and a proving ground for digital production techniques.

Still, I hate Jar Jar Binks, if that was indeed his real name, and I suspect he was the original phantom menace.