Did Fender change tone knobs 1 and 2 functions?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, May 3, 2021.

1. dscottyg

dscottyg Strat-Talk Member

On my 1999 American Standard Strat, Tone knob 1 controls just the neck pickup, and Tone knob 2 controls the middle and bridge pups. On my 2020 Ultra Strat Tone 1 controls the neck and middle for positions 2,3,4,and 5, while Tone 2 controls just the bridge in position 1 only. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone know when they changed and why?

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

They've changed many times, to many different things over the years....TBX, MBX, Delta, etc...sometimes changing them within series, most mostly from one series to the next. And of course there are all kinds of mods that use one for blender or any other such thing.

You can find probably find a history, and you can certainly find the specs on all different kinds of models including what the tone knobs do on each here:

www.fuzzfaced.net

Why? Why does Fender do anything? Most of it's a mystery.

dscottyg, CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Yep.
    American Special/Highway One has the 2nd control on the bridge, nothing on the middle.
    Works perfectly for me, as I rarely/never use the middle alone.

kdines likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Some strats are wired thisaway, some thataway. I don’t know when or why I just know you don’t put ketchup on a hot dog.

5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Fender has been all over the place with the wiring; at some point the HSS American Standards/American Deluxes went to the upper tone for neck and middle pickups and the lower tone for the bridge pickup. Recently the SSS American Professional (at least the Pro IIs) and the SSS American Ultras have gone to that wiring.

I didn't realize that it was by position (one tone for position 1 only, the other tone for the other 4 positions); that would be new for Fender. That being said John Suhr used that as his default wiring for Strats with 2 tone pots since the early 2000s - I had 2003 Suhr wired that way for a while - per John his wiring like that uses a SuperSwitch to achieve it. I suppose since Fender was already using SuperSwitches in American Deluxe/American Elite/American Ultras (for the S-1 switching) they must have decided to use this wiring scheme.

Baelzebub likes this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Leo didn't put a tone control on the bridge--if you don't want searing bright tone, you don't want the bridge pickup. But it turns out not everyone feels the same way--and it's very easy to change it.

Baelzebub likes this.