Did Foreigner sellout...?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, May 8, 2021.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like Crocket and Tubbs MTV video of a sexy drug bust in 1987... I kinda like it, it's kind of retro for a millennial like me but also OMG... LOL

2. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Short answer is yes. But most (classic) bands from that era (70's - 80's) had to adjust to the new sound in order to be relevant. I don't like it but I understand why they did it.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  3. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I *really* liked Foreigner growing up, and their first 4 albums were amazing! But I did find myself hitting the "replay" button on "Juke Box Hero" when it came up on my satelite radio earlier today. The riff work was awesome. But that solo...listen to it again. And then listen to it another time. Really? THAT is the solo to a song called "Juke Box Hero"? Wow, I could knock that out in a night. How did that happen? It more or less stands in place until the band comes back around.

And in regard to selling out, how did a "unplugged" version of "Juke Box Hero" ever become a thing? If it was "unplugged", why would most of us cared it existed?

4. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Didn't anyone with "moolah" back in the day sell out?

5. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Michael Jackson & Prince would be able to do some slick dance steps to it. Can't stand the drum tracks, too polished for me. I blame Madonna . :oops:
    Fire the producer!

6. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Not KISS. :whistling:

7. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Foreigner sold out before they even started. Formulaic pop rock with juvenile lyrics.

I'm hot blooded
    Check it and see
    I got a fever of 103
    Come on baby you can do more than dance
    I'm hot blooded, hot blooded

Neil.C and Blackmore Fan like this.
  8. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Lol, yeah that one is an instant channel-changer.

I really liked "Head Knocker", "Rev on the Redline", "Cold as Ice", "Double Vision", and "Head Games".

ukoldgit and Handsome McClane like this.
  9. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Back in the 70’s a friend insisted I go with him to see Foreigner. I really didn’t want to go but he paid for the tickets so I said okay. Two things I remember very vividly about that show. It was so freakin loud that you could hardly stand it. Not the band. Not the P.A. It was about 12,000 teenage girls screaming the whole show, louder than the band. I mean you could hardly hear the band they were so loud! :confused: Non-freakin stop...

The other thing was the guy playing sax stole the show. That guy was unbelievable, and clearly the best musician on stage, or so I thought back then even though I didn’t know crap. I think it was Clarence Clemons. R.I.P. good sir.