Join Strat-Talk Today

Did I get fooled by Guitar Center? Help needed!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by little_wing142, Sep 16, 2019.

1. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

Hey Everyone, I need help determining if I got fooled by guitar center. I bought a used guitar that I had been looking for, a Fender American Vintage reissue 1959 strat in Sonic Blue. There were pretty rare new, so finding one used was great. I got it shipped from the GC in South Austin to my house in NJ for about $1300 out the door. It was an amazing price so I jumped on it. It has its share of checking and discolorations of the finish which is fine for a used guitar and gives it that relic vibe. Well about 3 days after I got it I decided to open it up and make sure that the insides are what they are supposed to be. The guitar plays and sound good, mind you. So the body and the pickguard are correct for the model, with all the appropriate markings. However two things jumped out at me. First, the body and neck plate are dated 2014 while the neck is dated 2016. Can this be correct? The neck is definitely from the model of AVRI 1959 but I'm afraid I was sold a partscaster with no disclosure. The second thing, and this is not GC's fault, is that the neck is covex and has a backbow. The truss rod turns loose, and won't affect the position of the rod. The neck plays well and the frets are straight as I have medium to low action on the guitar. Are both these things deal breakers? Should I return it, or make a big deal of it?

Thanks in advance!

2. little_wing142

Pics of course

Attached Files:

3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

Send it back

arcticstrat, Yves, jball85 and 4 others like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

If ths truss rod won't tighten, send it back.....for that reason alone, that is a deal breaker! It should turn and tighten when you use a screwdriver on the heel, going clockwise....

velvet_man, Keith268, Yves and 5 others like this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I'd send it back because of the truss rod alone.

6. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Never mind the difference in year. The neck is FUBAR, so send 'er back. They sold you a lemon. You deserve a full refund to my mind.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

If the neck has a backbow and the truss rod is already loose, then tightening it won't do any good, the neck is fubar. :confused:

Send it back.

8. Guitarmageddon

Backbow means too much relief right? That's what I always took it to mean.....if so then tightening the rod would help.....I'm lost now.

Anyway regardless of the neck's current position, if the rod doesn't even grab to tighten at all, that's another defect.....

Yves likes this.
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Does the neck have a back bow when the strings are on it? If it does, and loosening the truss rod doesn’t help, then yes, by all means, send it back. The neck should have a slight forward bow with the truss rod engaged. The truss rod shouldn’t be loose and sloppy.

Yves likes this.
  10. little_wing142

thanks for your replies! When I say back bow I mean the the neck is concave or "over straightened." I checked this with a notched straight edge with strings on (full tension) and off.

11. Guitarmageddon

Then yes, by all means return it - the neck is TOAST.

velvet_man, 3bolt79, Yves and 2 others like this.
  12. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

^ This. Not worth it to pursue repair.

3bolt79, anticarnist and guitartwonk like this.
  13. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Another vote to send it back. Big drag as it sounds like you really wanted this type of guitar.

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. little_wing142

thank you again for your replies. The tone of this thing is killer. I has that hollow old strat sound to it. There is crazy natural checking on the body, and and it actually plays well. I'm bummed. But what a great community we have here! thanks again!

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

Guitar Center strikes again, they know what they sent you, and if they don't know that's even worse.
    Send it back

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

That is a shame. They are GREAT guitars!

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. little_wing142

I need to find another one! unfortunately there are none on ebay and I think reverb has them for $2000+. It was the first 7.25" radius that I was able to play with no problems.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Backbow means the head is bowed toward the back of the guitar, giving the fretboard a convex shape... the opposite of relief. It makes a guitar unplayable, unless of course it can be corrected.

19. Rounder44

Rounder44 Strat-Talker

See if GC can provide a new neck!

Fender will deal with you IF you send necks in they will provide exact replacement at a cost.....

I have a Telecaster and fell in love with the neck and wanted another to put on my other Telecaster and was told Fender will NOT sell the same USA made neck out right. I asked if I broke what then? The said send in and they will replace....with exact neck!

I'd been looking for one of those and $1300 to your door is as good a deal as you'll find! Especially in Sonic Blue! That adds a bit of value! I only saw white and two tone burst in my 2 month search.

If you like the rest contact GC and Fender to see if it can be corrected for minimal hassle and $$$.

R44

Old Guy, Ferpie, strats62 and 3 others like this.
  20. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Side note, I don't think you have to send it back. I'm pretty sure you can return it to your local guitar center.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.