Did They Wear Sandpaper Suits in the 60s?

jrohlf301

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 16, 2016
Texas
I've been looking through some 60s strats just to get a kick out of it. From Rory Gallagher's strat to John Mayer's, it seems as if 60s strats are ridiculously worn. It makes me wonder, is this a coincidence? Was it the jean jackets? Is it just that people ****ed up their guitars in those days or is there a real scientific answer like a weaker finish during those years. Just in general, what's up with these insanely beat up guitars that aren't professionally relic'd?
427267017_ed9f55316c.jpg

Robins

Dr. von Loudster
Dec 22, 2010
Germany
They played the snot out of those guitars back in the days because that was the only one they had.
We have it good these days.
But I also have to add that Rory really loved that Strat and he sure knew why.
R.I.P. Rory

All the best,
Robin

LRS!

Strat-O-Master
Aug 27, 2014
The Netherlands
I've been looking through some 60s strats just to get a kick out of it. From Rory Gallagher's strat to John Mayer's, it seems as if 60s strats are ridiculously worn. It makes me wonder, is this a coincidence? Was it the jean jackets? Is it just that people ****ed up their guitars in those days or is there a real scientific answer like a weaker finish during those years. Just in general, what's up with these insanely beat up guitars that aren't professionally relic'd?

If I'm not mistaken, Mayer pretty much ****** up his Black One in the Custom Shop himself, being under the impression that was supposed to be cool... sort of...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
I know a lot of people complain about how delicate the finishes on their "pure vintage" strat-reissues are.

I have the 1954 60th Anniversary model. A whole bunch of customers had to have these replaced under warranty because the finishes were being damaged in their cases while being shipped.

Much of the evolution of guitar finishes - Martin, Fender, all those guys - has been due to warranty claims and how to stop the finish prematurely deteriorating.

gofmusic

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 24, 2013
Montevideo
If I'm not mistaken, Mayer pretty much f*cked up his Black One in the Custom Shop himself, being under the impression that was supposed to be cool... sort of...

I'm pretty sure john Mayers black one is a custom shop

I heard him say he stripped that guitar to let the wood breathe. One of the most stupid things I heard him say, and he speaks a lot.

gofmusic

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 24, 2013
Montevideo
I know a lot of people complain about how delicate the finishes on their "pure vintage" strat-reissues are.

I have the 1954 60th Anniversary model. A whole bunch of customers had to have these replaced under warranty because the finishes were being damaged in their cases while being shipped.

Much of the evolution of guitar finishes - Martin, Fender, all those guys - has been due to warranty claims and how to stop the finish prematurely deteriorating.

Humans... once they got to the point where finishes are rock solid, the go all vintage junkies. I hate them sometimes...

Jonny Hotnuts

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 7, 2013
Portland
427267017_ed9f55316c.jpg

Rorys strat looked that way because it was stolen, left in a ditch, rained on and then recovered days later. He was quoted as saying he would never have it refinished or repaired.

~JH

hornpiper

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 23, 2014
Anytown,USA
I don't recall anything radically different in clothing material between now and then, other than some guys wearing bigger belt buckles. Like someone else said above, the guitar finishes were generally thinner and not as durable as today, (nitro vs. poly?) and like another said, most guys might only have one or two guitars they played, or a definite favorite gigging guitar, (see Peter Green, Rory Gallagher, SRV, Roy Buchanan, Clapton's "Brownie" and "Blackie", etc..). I owned and gigged regularly with only one guitar and amp at a time, into the mid-70's at least. Now stir in thousands of sweaty gigs, and maybe a little spilled drinks here and there, maybe some cigarette burns, and other bumps and scratches from lots of regular use, and Walla, naturally reliced guitar...

Last edited:

tarcisioo

Strat-Talker
Jan 5, 2013
Brazil
Rorys strat looked that way because it was stolen, left in a ditch, rained on and then recovered days later. He was quoted as saying he would never have it refinished or repaired.

~JH

Not exactly. Rory got his 1961 strat mint in 1963
12.jpg

Still looks new in 64
18.jpg

1966 seems to be a rough year for the strat. Only 3 years in his possession and it's already getting abused
exam120615RoryGallagherFeature_large.jpg

Another angle from 66
bac7171b8eb6cdcbbe4d3cd15d2690d0.jpg

67 and she's getting dirty. 1967 is the year it was stolen and recovered 2 weeks later
171264813075.jpg

rory-gallagher-of-the-taste-performing-in-copenhagen-denmark-november-picture-id659296702

8bee10f08566b84989f45e65afcb5a7d.jpg

461264813831.jpg

rory1.jpg

As you can see, there was some real abusing prior to the theft. I believe that it was the combination of Rory's sweat + style of playing that made the guitar how it is.

Also notable is that both Rory and SRV, whom had two of the most abused guitars out there, were heavy alcoholics. Alcohol provokes heavy sweating, wich by itself harms nitro finished guitars, but it also affects sweat properties