Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Did They Wear Sandpaper Suits in the 60s?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by jrohlf301, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    I think a lot of anyone's sweat on an instrument is not great for the finish. Some folks methodically clean the sweat off after a gig. But I know others just put it in the case. Can't be good.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Did They Wear Sandpaper Suits in the 60s?

Yes. They also ate nails and spit bullets .

carver, Fendereedo, h4ck.b0x7 and 2 others like this.
  3. jrohlf301

jrohlf301 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Texas
    Knew it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. StratSounds

StratSounds Strat-O-Master

Sep 10, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    I own a used 2009 strat that was in great shape and little played before I bought it. I also own a used 1996 Martin dread that was in similar great condition when purchased. All of my other guitars were bought new...ok damn, I guess there's also an old pawn shop acoustic in the mix, but the other handful I bought new.

All this talk of individual body chemistry, "particularly corrosive sweat", and "copious quantities of sweat" makes me want to say those might be the last used guitars I ever buy. I'm beginning to understand and sympathize with people who refinish a "mojo" ridden natural-relic old guitar. Is mojo Spanish for corrosive sweat?

kris ford and Mipstoo like this.
  6. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Mojo is not Spanish, it Just means "many old juices on"

StratSounds likes this.
  7. Fred Phuque

Fred Phuque Strat-Talker

Nov 24, 2016
    Nashville, TN

He is living proof that you can be a great guitar player and a moron at the same time.....

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Not to mention alcohol also promotes actions, delayed reactions, inaction and decisions that can also lead to some dings and things on an instrument.

9. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up yonder way...

Hey Chim, have you had occasion to visit "Mike's Guitars", in the Coreyville and Covington areas? I visited his Coreyville (Cinnti.) shop last time I was in that area a few years ago, and was blown-away by his inventory of used/vintage guitars. As I recall, it was 4 stories, with several thousand guitars on-hand. It was mind-boggling.

chrimturn likes this.
  10. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    "Professionally relic'd." LOL!

11. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    Actually yes I have been in the Vine St store in the Clifton/Corryville area. He has a nice selection of used and vintage gear. Each room is dedicated to its own instrument. Guitars, Basses, Drums, Amps, etc. They have a luthier/amp technician on site too.

It's right next to an indoor venue called Bogarts. It seats about 1400-1500 people. Some of the bands/musicians who play there will go next store to the music shop and check out the selection. They'll take pictures with the guys in the store and they'll hang them up on the wall. Last time I was there they had just put one up of Zakk Wylde when he came through. I think he bought an old amp or something.

I almost splurged on an early 70's Hi-Watt 100w head. It was pricey. I was able talk myself out of it and walk away though. It's a neat place. Not like your average Ma/Pa shop.

12. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up yonder way...
    Yep, definitely not your "Ma/Pa" shop.

When I popped in there while in that area about 3 years back (?) I saw a photo of Jimmy Vaughan, who had also popped into the store while he was in the area, in concert.

What amazes me is that Mike apparently has the same level of inventory right across the river, in Covington, I'm told. It's difficult to wrap my brain around owning that many vintage guitars.

13. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati, Earth
    I don't know how he does it. I don't know if it's a "who ya know" thing, or a "right of passage" thing for guys that come through and they just either trade or give them away for an unbelievable price. I'm sure he probably buys some and repairs them and tries to flip them, but he does have plenty that are either just standing around our hanging out for all to see.

14. StrattyMcStratton

StrattyMcStratton Strat-Talk Member

Feb 22, 2017
    USA
    Lol

15. Fastfingers

Fastfingers Strat-Talker

Oct 29, 2015
    London

This sound is all I want from a Start. Perfect.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  16. tarcisioo

tarcisioo Strat-Talker

Jan 5, 2013
    Brazil
    I heard thid story but I just don't think it's enough. If it was just his sweat condition, wouldn't all his guitars look like they've been trough some s**t? His white tele always looked pretty clean, while have been extensively played and toured.

Maybe the finish was just rushed on some guitars, I don't know

My 2010 LP Studio faded that I got a few years ago looks like she's having some, the finish is showing trough in a few spots. The finish is THIN on those guitars, believe that

17. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Strat-Talk Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    Rory's guitar's paint loss is particularly radical and the acidity of his sweat is often mentionned. Still, I read once an interesting guessing, knowing that this strat has probably been one of the first strat imported in Ireland, ordered by a musician that wanted it Fiesta red, when he finally could get a strat of the right color, he sold this one and Rory bought it second hand. As we know, during the 60's the custom colors ordered from UK were painted in England on top of standard sunburst (The Custom shop has a lot of fun relicing finishes that show a sunburst under it, actually). So somebody suggested that according to this very early order, Fender could have send a sunburst without the last layer of enamel, so to get it painted in red on top of the sunburst like in England, but in Ireland, nobody painted it and it ended in Rory's hand with this unfinished fragile finish. Hard to know, but still I thought that was an interesting thought, even if, in general, nitro finishes are much more fragile than the horrible thick poly finish that coats the 70's Fender (that were obviously designed to solve this problem).

jofish likes this.
  18. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    I'd say there's a decent chance his guitar could have shipped without a top coat, not because they were allowing it to be painted over with red once it got to the UK, but because that's the way quite a few guitars came out of Fender.

If you've got time to read through this page over at GuitarHQ, it goes through all the different stages of finish that could be involved. http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

There are examples of finishes with a sealer coat, under coat, colour coat and clear coat while others are just slapped onto the wood and rushed out. For example, about a third of the way down the page there's a pic of a 64 Strat in Dakota Red with no yellow stain, no Fullerplast, no undercoat and no clear coat.

Overall, I think the wear on Rory's Strat was down to a number of factors that have been mentioned in this thread, but I'd go along with the idea that it was perhaps a rushed finish too.

19. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Brussels, Belgium
    Although possible, if I'm correct, Rory's Strat was a '61. Most rush jobs are from '63-'64 onwards because of the increased popularity and booming sales. But, with Fender, you never know...

20. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Good point, thanks for the info! Out of interest, do sunburst finishes even have a clear coat over the top or is it just custom colours? Assuming they do but have never seen anywhere explicitly saying that's the way they did it (that I can recall)

21. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have heard and read about the sweat thing....

but I really have to get on board with @Robins on this one...

most folks back then had 1 guitar... not 20 like some folks, or 100s like other folks. 1 guitar. many gigs, gigs that arent the type of gigs we play these days in climate controlled rooms. gigs outdoors in the sun and in the 110 degree heat, gigs indoors away from the sun in the 120 degree heat..

****s gonna happen.

Robins likes this.