Didn’t David Clayton Thomas Of Blood Sweat and Tears play a Fender Stratocaster?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by IMMusicRulz, May 3, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz Strat-Talk Member

The only song I know David Clayton Thomas playing guitar on in Blood Sweat and Tears was Go Down Gambling. Arguably as close as Blood Sweat and Tears could get to playing hard rock. I know his primary electric guitar is a yellow Fender Telecaster, and I think he also played a Gibson J200 Electric guitar. But he also put out an out of print record in 1968, recorded just months before he joined Blood Sweat and Tears. I found that album at a thrift store recently. I think he plays a bluesy, fuzz Fender Stratocaster and Fender Telecaster. He owned some Guild amps and a Fender Bassman Amp too.

I know that Steve Katz played Guild guitars, a Gibson J200 acoustic guitar, and some Gibson ES 335 and Gibson SG Electric guitars, but I listen to a lot of Blood Sweat and Tears recently, and I was amazed by the sound of that psychedelic fuzz guitar solo on More and More. The guitar tone on that does sound like a Fender Stratocaster. Very Jimi Hendrix like sound. I know that Steve Katz primarily used a few Guild amps, Fender Bassman Amps, and the occasional Fender Twin Reverb Amps tuned up to 10. He more or less played a variety of electric guitars, including a Fender Telecaster and a Gretsch White Falcon. David Clayton Thomas probably acquired that Fender Telecaster in the Sixties. Does anyone know if he ever played a Fender Stratocaster? I also know that David Clayton Thomas mother was a piano player, and Steve Katz played a Hohner Harmonica. I remember seeing a picture of Steve Katz from the New Blood era playing a Fender Stratocaster. Georg Wadenius also played some Yamaha Electric guitars, a Fender Telecaster, a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul. But are there any information about their guitar setup? Please let me know. Here is a picture of David Clayton Thomas playing a Fender Telecaster:
    Much of those Guild amps were probably just used for their print ads, but Blood Sweat and Tears bassist Jim Fielder was an endorser Of Guild Amps, so I could be right about the Guild endorsement.

The_Whale likes this.
  2. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

yup

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

You are pretty long winded in these posts. Any more people you want to know about?

Maybe make a list.

Bob

IMMusicRulz likes this.