Difference between Stat & Tele

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ADR65, Mar 27, 2013.

1. ADR65

ADR65 Strat-Talker

Hello All
    I would like opinions of the above, what is the main difference in sound between a American Standard Strat and American Standard Tele, if both are played thru a Fender Amp.

Thanks
    Allan

2. vgp001

vgp001 Strat-O-Master

One sounds like a Strat and the other sounds like a Tele.

That's really about it.

3. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Strat-O-Master

Depends on what strat and tele you have. My tele is much warmer than my strat.

4. ocredeus

ocredeus Strat-Talker

IMO.... a tele can do the same thing than a strat.... except the out of phase positions.... for that reason and for the fact that visually, the strat is far superior to any guitar model on earth... I would choose the strat

5. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You might want to listen to some recordings and try out some guitars in the store.

A classic Strat tone can be heard on the original version of "Layla" and lots of other EC tunes from the 70s. The Strat can have a " quack tone" that you often don't get on the Tele. ( that is, unless you have 3 pickups on it, like a Strat ! )

Keith Richards and Bruce Springsteen are noted Tele users - listen to some of their 70s tracks for some tones.

6. Bakkels

Bakkels Strat-Talker

I don't know, I never found Layla to have that typical strat sound. (Though the pictures of Brownie on the cover were the reason I got into guitar playing and strats in the first place) For the typical strat sound I always think of Mark Knopfler (for the 'quack' sound), Stevie Ray, Jimi Hendrix and Buddy Guy.

When I think teles, I agree completely with what statman said. Keith and Bruce are very fine examples of the real tele-tone. Perhaps also because they tend to use little to no effects.

7. '57-Strato-Joe

'57-Strato-Joe ---------------------------------

All of the above, and then some.

When in doubt, whip them BOTH out!

8. davidKOS

davidKOS happy at home Strat-Talk Supporter

The Strat has 3 things that make it different from the Tele (original designs) -

3 pickups, different pickups, and the tremolo.

The Tele still has elements of the steel guitar - string through, plate bridge pickup/bridge assembly, and a hotter bridge pickup.

The Strat has the trem, slightly less hot but "smoother" pickups, and with 3 different tone colors.

Plus the neck pickups sound is better on a Strat. I've replaced the neck pickup on all my Teles.

9. Left Cutt

Left Cutt Strat-Talker

I have a 2011 Tele, and I like the neck pickup a lot.

When you play a Strat and a Tele in a shop, you'll notice the differences. It'll be easier for you to choose after that.

10. thewolfnears

thewolfnears Strat-O-Master

I like the sound of the Telecaster, I really do, I just think it is a hideous guitar.

So, to me, these have a good personality.

11. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

12. billybuck

billybuck Strat-Talker

13. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Ha Billy - good spot @ the bridge. I have the vintage brass 3 barrels on mine and wouldn't swap them out - but I can't complain about the tone Pete gets out of his modified vintage Tele

14. 73Fender

73Fender Senior Stratmaster

Willie, Is yours a 2011 Am Std Tele? I love the stock neck pickup in mine. I didn't like the bridge. Installed CS Texas Specials, I may put that original neck pup back in some day.

The Strat having a trem and the quack positions are a few obvious differences.

Some Tele purists will argue that the Am Std Teles encroach part way into Strat territory with the Strat like bridge and radius. As of 2012 there is even a belly cut.

I recently came back to Strats after a long infatuation with Teles. I like the vintage spec Teles more than the Am Std Tele although mine is pretty sweet.

15. billybuck

billybuck Strat-Talker

I can't complain about his tone either. I'm pretty sure Keith Richards uses a modern bridge on all his telecasters as well. So if Keef prefers it, it can't be all that bad.

16. Left Cutt

Left Cutt Strat-Talker

Yeah, mine is a 2011 AmStd. Tele. I quite like the pups. I get the Tele sound I always wanted, so I'll probably never mod it....unless...

I'm getting ready to put VNs and a boost in my Strat. If I like the VNs, I may get a set for the Tele. But right now, I'm totally happy with my 2011 pups.

17. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

I like the sound of a tele, but dag on, the thing is just so ugly to me... I just don't know! I feel so guilty about saying that..

18. Left Cutt

Left Cutt Strat-Talker

Astro1176==thanks for that clip. I love Townshend, and he sounds damned good on Magic Bus. I like Pete on a Strat, but I'd rather see him playing a Tele or a Les Paul.

19. '57-Strato-Joe

'57-Strato-Joe ---------------------------------

Hey Wolf, you be on some REALLY thin ice with that comment! Argh!

20. thewolfnears

thewolfnears Strat-O-Master

It seems as though I am, then.

But I must ask.

Exactly how thin? Pink Floyd thin? Or even thinner?