Different Tuning Value

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Carlos Lucena, Jul 3, 2015.

1. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

montemerrick. you seem strange. I like that in a person.

2. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

Thanks for the extra definition not included in what the world wide web's dictionary explained.

I am an old gear head hotrodder from back in the day. Most everyone thought if they purchased the largest carburetor they could, they believed this was the formula that would give them more power. In many cases it slowed the car down.

Thanks for the long setup - but there is a formula that uses 3456 as a component in the equasion to tell you how many CFM a carb should have for that application. The math was always more accurate than an ego or deep pockets!

3. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

Why am I surprised, that number reduces itself to 9. Again, obviously it's an important number that can't be anilihated.

4. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

there is all kinds of insane theories on why it was changed from 432 to 440, from aliens
    to **** mind controll , and why one is better than the other , 432 is supposed to be the natural harmonic of the universe or some crap, and a bunch of other crap.
    google it!!! you wil all be scratching your heads .
    that said...... i've been tuning to 432 for long as can remember, to me does sound sweeter, some people can tell the differance , some cant. i think you have to have a pretty serious musically wired brain , not just someone who plays music, if that makes sense. you kinda more feel the differance than hear it.

5. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

well i can't vouch for the seriousness of my brain's wiring, but after an hour of 432 playing Blind Willie Johnson's Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground I feel like at last my guitar is in tune... i mean, not earth shattering, but just like that feeling that it was always slightly sharp ... well... i don't know... as mentioned above, I might just be strange... regardless, I like the 432...

6. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

Good stuff montemerrick, it's subtle but it is there. That 'feeling' thedrill spoke of is perhaps the most accurate way to quantify it. One has to feel it. I'm glad you did

7. montemerrick

thanks.... i suppose i am - i certainly don't seem to be common... i mean here at my desk i'm as common as mice, but generally no... i don't meet members of my clan or tribe or what have you very often... reminds me of emily dickinson:

i’m Nobody - who are You?
    are you – Nobody – too?
    then there’s a Pair of Us -
    don’t Tell! they’d dvertise – you know...

how dreary – to be – Somebody!
    how public – like a Frog –
    to tell one’s Name – the livelong June –
    to an admiring Bog!

8. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

Yr welcome, If your a bender theres some tension off the strings too going back to 432. Another bonus

9. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

that was ' Natzi ' mind control got blanked out of my response. just seeing if it happens again

10. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

Theres that rabbit hole

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

Sounds like not-crap if you can feel it .... if someone like you who, says it's crap , but uses it anyway . That actually says a lot to me .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  12. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

And that "Number Nine" thing at Woodstock; now we all know what that means ;)

13. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

So, here's a question :

In my SoundForge program, I can shift pitch by cents . How many cents downwards would I want to tell it to shift from standart tuning, so that the A note then sounds at 432 ? I probably have it written down somewhere, but that was a while back, and I also want to check with you to correlate.

Thanks,
    Dar

14. montemerrick

when i just retuned to 432 the tuner app on my phone seemed like in the neighborhood of 35, + or - 10 - almost a quarter step?*

*not to be confused with a relevant reply to your post.

15. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

I have no idea in cents, i've been spoiled with technology and just a button. On each successive push it goes down 1 hz until I reach 432 and lock it in. I'd like to know myself

16. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Great article on the subject here.
    MiltonlineHertz So Good? 432Hz Examined. |

The most crucial point, debunking the claim of naturalness or cosmic universality about 432Hz, is the fact that Hz=cycles per second, which is a totally arbitrary, man-made measure of time, just like the metre or the pound. We don't claim mystical properties about a 27in guitar scale, because we instinctively know the inch is an arbitary measure. While it's perhaps not so obvious, the second is every bit as arbitrary.

I would encourage the 432 believers to read all of the linked article, but if not here are some relevant points.

Anyhoo there's certainly no harm in tuning to A=432 but I thought it worth addressing some of the more fanciful claims about its 'naturalness'.

s5tuart likes this.
  17. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

The second is far from an arbritary measure of time. Nothing about a measured time period is arbitrary. The second was devised mathematically by astronomers to represent 1/86,400 of one average solar day. Thus, the second is inexplicably linked to the cosmos. If the most crucial point in debunking the 432'ers is to ridicule a period of time, inexplicably linked to the cosmos, well, that just turns my brain inside out. Please, common sense must prevail. 'Nothing' can be more natural than the orbits of the heavens, and that we as human beings in ages bygone had the intelligence to decipher the balancing act of mother nature herself, and to quantify 1/86,400 of this daily orbit and call it a second goes to show how far dumbed down society has become in modern day. To the masses of modern day sheeple, schooled for a life of enslavery indoctrinated by the system to be "compliant", such a feat is beyond their comprehension.

One second, is linked inexplicably to natural orbit of the cosmos. That which happens inside of one second, is precisely linked to the cosmos. How many times this event happens inside of one second, the frequency or the hertz is by fact inexplicably linked to the cosmos and nature. Belief otherwise will indicate only a baboon still sits in a tree, somewhere in the cosmos.

18. montemerrick

if we start dismissing marked off chunks of perceived reality as meaningless, we are on our way to dismissing perceived reality as meaningless... and the only thing we actually have that isn't really up for debate is perceived reality... if we didnt see what we saw then why see at all.

I dont mean this an argument for the truth being what you make it - and i certainly understand that some people are right and others are wrong... just that perception is the boss of everything.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

A "solar day" refers only to the Earth. What about a Venusian day, or a Martian day? They're dramatically different than Earth's, but are every bit much as much a part of the Cosmos. In the grand scheme, the Earth is no more special, and it's gradually slowing down so that "harmony" changes over time! There is no "inexplicable link." No, the second is not special at all and by extension neither is a 432Hz frequency. Sorry, it's bunkum.
    To some people, it sounds better and that's fine, but to me it just sounds out of tune. I use the standard so that I can play my favorite songs, or with other people, and have everything sound in-key and in-tune. Playing with other people is where things start to really get special.
    IMHO, YMMV, OMGWTFBBQ, etc.

s5tuart and amstratnut like this.
  20. StratShift

StratShift Strat-Talker

Se lets all close our ears and visualize frequency's effect on matter itself, being grains of sand in this clip. Orbits create frequency's. Frequency's create orbits. As is magnetism to electricity, one cannot exist without the other. To debunk the laws of the cosmos will take some doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zw0uWCNsyw