DiMarzio Bridge | Covered vs Uncovered.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Snicklefritz, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Snicklefritz

Snicklefritz Strat-Talk Member

Hey folks!

I'm replacing the bridge humbucker on my strat with a DM 'The Breed'. I managed to score one on ebay for a decent price but it came with a cover. My pickguard will not accommodate the new pup without some modification. I normally would have no problems trimming a pickguard but this one seems to be a one-off size so I'm a little reluctant to mess with it.

I heard uncovered (PAF) pickups are brighter but this cover exposes the pole pieces for both coils.

Does this style cover change the tone at all? I like the brighter sound but was hoping to keep the cover. I prefer tone over aesthetics though.

Stock (Breed and stock Fender pup)
    _20210707_010213.jpg

Cover removed (this will fit once the excess wax is cleaned up)
    _20210707_010246.jpg

Going here
    _PXL_20210511_231801184.jpg

Roca81 likes this.
  2. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

You can take this with a grain of salt or not:

The_Whale and Snicklefritz like this.
  3. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-O-Master

I don't think it matters. But, I don't have dog/bat hearing like most tone junkies.
    Nice Aerodyne

Snicklefritz likes this.
  4. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

What matters most is the cover materials used, if steel is used , it moves the “q” or resonant frequency of the pickup and smashes it, a nickel silver cover much less so, that’s just the physics of it.

Does it matter? A long cheep guitar cable does much worse.

do what makes you happy. the difference in one way or the other is hair splitting.

StratUp and Snicklefritz like this.
  5. Snicklefritz

Snicklefritz Strat-Talk Member

@Chipss36 - I will go with your answer. I had watched a couple videos and could hear the difference with PAFs covered vs non-covered and was wondering if this 12 pole cover would make less of a difference. The PAFs cover the slugs with masking tape and the cover itself. This cover feels like steel but DiMarzio lists it as 'a metal cover in matte black".

This guitar is pretty odd, I think pup cover will fit in (with a little help from my Dremel) nicely.

Chipss36 likes this.
  6. Ace38

Ace38 Senior Stratmaster

The one bit of guitar voodoo I believe, uncovered really does sound different.

Snicklefritz likes this.
  7. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I'll tell you what, I hear a difference, but I would say it's a 1 or 2% difference. As with everything else guitar tone related, I am interested and disgusted by my interest at the same time. Who cares? Me a little, I guess. WHY do I care? I don't know.

I also pay close attention to subtle sports uniform tweaks and have opinions on them, while at the same time understanding that my opinions are irrelevant to anyone EXCEPT others like me, which I guess is why I come to this forum, for stuff like this.

The_Whale and Snicklefritz like this.
  8. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Very minor difference, and with the uncovered poles, even less. Also less shielding... but the HB will be so far ahead of a single coil on that point, it doesn't matter.

Snicklefritz likes this.
  9. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I have ran the moe joe both uncovered and covered, sounded the same to me, so I run the covers.
    Looks better for the application I am using it in.

a vintage output paf may show more difference, with the moe joe, it did not make a difference that I could tell, playing clean or very dirty.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Snicklefritz and stratelespaul like this.
  10. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

DiMarzio uses nickel silver covers, so it wont make as much difference as it would with cheap imported pickups.

Snicklefritz and Chipss36 like this.