DiMarzio Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Gejodi, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Gejodi

Gejodi New Member!

Hi all so I’m new here and would like to get some thoughts on three pickups I’m gonna put in a new Strat build (my first) I talked to DiMarzio and they recommended these I play mostly classic rock blues and jazz. I really want hum cancellation. The pups are dp188 neck, dp 186 middle and dp 180 air Norton in the bridge. I could use some advice.

2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

WelcomeFlash.gif !

I'd suggest you look at a lot more than DiMarzio. There are so many great choices.

Other members will not doubt add suggestions.

Erik_C likes this.
  3. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Look at the Area series, sound great and noiseless.

4. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I had a true velvet bridge in a tele once I really liked. Honestly though, there is a ton of great pickups out there now for cheap. I wouldn't buy any big named pickups anymore. Pribora, Rose, & Rob at frettech all make killer pickups and and I know rob will wind you one to your specs if you want him to.

Erik_C likes this.
  5. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Areas are great.

Electgumbo and CyFan4036 like this.
  6. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

So, a Pro Track in the neck, a Cruiser Neck in the middle and an Air Norton S in the bridge. Kinda strange selection, if you ask me.

I wouldn't use the Pro Track in any other position but the bridge and the same goes for the Air Norton S. In fact those are what I use on my two #1 guitars.

And I can't really see why putting a Cruiser Neck in the middle instead of a Cruiser Bridge since the are practically the same output while the Bridge has a tad more bass which is welcome in the middle position.

I don't know why they made this suggestion as this pickup config is actually HSH "voiced", probably good for shredding with 500K pots but the Air Norton S in the neck and the Pro Track in the bridge.

If you want to stay with an all-Dimarzio-rails-pup setup I would say either Cruiser (any) or Fast Track 1 for the middle and neck positions (again, that's what I use on my two #1's) as they are both at least single coil voiced and any mid output like the Pro Track, Air Norton or Chopper for the bridge. If you need a pup with higher output in the bridge then you can go with a Tone Zone S (I have it on another guitar, with all 250K pots and a dedicated tone pot for the bridge) or a Fast Track 2 but I wouldn't use any of these without a bridge tone (and preferably with 250K pot) as to my ears are way too middy so I was never able to use them for any kind of cleans with 500K pot and/or without a tone pot.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

7. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Senior Stratmaster

The Areas came in my LB Strat and they really are great sounding single coils and quiet!

8. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I would get any of the following sets:
    Virtually any set from Kinman
    Dimarzio areas
    Dimarzio injectors
    Emg dg20(those are active though)

10. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

First, welcome to the party,. put the beer in the 'fridge and plug in...

Now, the reality is there are many different makers supplying great pickup.. and the good news is, it's pretty hard to choose a looser.... the bad news is, in seeking for specifics on a forum, all any of us can offer is our experience with the few guitars in which a specific set has been installed. And even those who, like me, have the opportunity to work with many guitars, will still see a relatively few sets, installed, of a specific set of Pickups..

The solution is to contact the maker of whatever "brand name" you have selected, and don't sweat it, they are ALL excellent... Dimarzios are great pickups.. chat with the tech on the other end, they are familiar with THEIR pickups and know what questions to ask to get you to where ya wanna be. None of us are "equipped" to do that constructively. You will wind up with GOOD useable and applicable information and that's what you're here for isn't it?

r

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    rafasounds and Electgumbo like this.
  11. Gejodi

Gejodi New Member!

Thank you all for some very sound advice. I guess ill go back to the drawing board and check out your responces!

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Is your guitar fully 'caged' against noise, outside of the pickups? Faraday Cage, that is.

A roll of Nashua Aluminum Flashing tape, with an ohm meter to verify continuity as you put down strips (wrinkle or bridge if not), performs better than copper (you can look up all the research papers on cell phones and computers if you need proof), copper gets used because of fashionable photograph sharing. Often a guitar with painted shielding is less effective and can use doubling up.

Replace the two wires to the jack with shielded cable. Nope, twisting two wires does nothing in a guitar other than look fancy -- otherwise we'd use twisted pair cables from the guitar to the amp rather than full shielded cables.

Now shielded pickups will have a chance at improving your noise level.

13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

Here is one of my fav guitars

Strat Plus neck
    Strat Ultra body
    Dimarzio Pro Track (B)
    Dimarzio Cruiser (M)
    Dimarzio Satch Track (N)

One of the tone controls is a push/pull which changes them from Series to Parallel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    StratoMutt, SKYDOG4570 and Nate D like this.
  14. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

The Pro track is a great pup although I used mine at the bridge position, The Cruiser is the only DiMarzio pup I tried and didn't like. Very low output and lacking treble in a big way. The Norton I have no experience with. If you want non Strat type sounds they'll do the job, although my preference in the middle position would be a DP181 Fast Track 1 if you want to keep the Rails look. Like others here I like Areas in the middle and neck positions for a more typical Vintage Strat sound, although I do prefer the DP184 Chopper in the bridge position for a hottish humbucker sound.

15. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

16. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have Lace Sensors in the neck and middle positions. Great sound and dead quiet. Also put a Seymour Duncan I'll 59 in the bridge. You can see my Strat in my avatar.

17. JKjr

JKjr Strat-Talker

Blue/silver/red doesn't sound like a strat? But the rainbow set does?

I have three sets of Lacers in different guitars. One is blue/gold/red, another blue/gold/silver, and a third gold/gold/blue. I put them all together years ago, before we had chartreuse, antique teal, and lavender. While they all have somewhat different characters none of them sound like anything but a strat to my ears. In fact one of the things I like most about them is their tendency to sound like the guitar they are in. While they are by design a "flavored" pickup, the transparent base is never lost. Add scallions or olives if you like; it's still a bagel with cream cheese. I'm not aware of ever hearing a rainbow (let's not talk about the seventies) but I'm pretty sure my Lacers sound amazingly like my other strats, just quieter.

18. Tim S

Tim S Strat-O-Master

Yes. That’s what I said. I speak from personal experience owning both sets.
    There’s no guessing or assumptions in my post.