Dire Straits

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

It was obvious when I saw them on the On Every Streets tour that Knopfler was moving heavily into country. Wall Of Life for example was awash with slide when it was played (just check out the ‘On The Night’ version) and to me its just not what the song is about.

still, Straits were the soundtrack to my youth and they will always have a special place in my heart.

As far as not being inducted into the RrHOF.... hmmm not sure how I feel about that. To me, it’s a bit like sticking two fingers up to the fans, to prove a point to the execs that likely won’t change a thing.

I also feel similar about Gilmour and the Floyd tbh. He refused point blank to go on tour with the Floyd after Live8 and refused to resurrect the Floyd because he’s ‘been there and done that’. Fine, but don’t then go on tour as Gilmour and play Floyd songs for half your set then. Do a proper Floyd tour for the fans, to say ‘goodbye’, then put the project to bed properly. Appreciate now it’s too late now that Wright has gone, but after Live8 with waters onboard would have been just perfect!

2. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Quitting at the right time is an art form in itself....

Cyberi4n likes this.
  3. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

you mean the members of the band who made it what it was leaving one by one until it was just Mark Knopfler and whoever he wanted to play with on any given album or tour and then he decided f*ck it I'll just be a solo artist?

Numbercruncher likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

They didn't leave on good terms, Mark fired his own brother and then Pick Withers, the original drummer from the band......before the 'Money for Nothing/Brothers in Arms stuff was ever recorded, or hit the big time.....

5. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-O-Master

Nice, the full video uncensored

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk