Join Strat-Talk Today

DIY pickup and mount screw relicing

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Antigua, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

This pickup relic'ing video was posted over at TDPRI a few months ago:

I just finally tried it myself on both a pole piece and a pickguard screw:

[​IMG]

It appears to well with both. I also tried applying the aluminum oxidizer to the plastic pickguard and pickup covers, just to see if there would be any bad reactions, and there was none, so it appears that with this stuff, you can relic both the pickup as well as all of the screws without having to disassemble the guitar at all.

The only worry is that I don't think this is readily reversible, certainly not with the same degree of ease, and while the screws are cheap to replace, the pickups probably would not be, which makes the lower cost Chinese pickup such as these all the more attractive, allowing for this sort of experiment without serious risk to your wallet.

Seymour Duncan Antiquities with aged screws:

[​IMG]

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit is no longer legal tender Strat-Talk Supporter

I've used Birchwood Casey and Carr's metal blacking products on models for years. It's worth experimenting with the brass and aluminium types. The brass type often achieves a more subtle aged look.

3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

That could be good, the aluminum oxide leaves it looking very blackened, which is not a bad thing. I had some genuinely rusted out pickguard screws, and they were virtually black. I'll try the brass black as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.