Do I need to care anymore?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by LPBlue, Jun 12, 2021.

1. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Carp, you say?

[​IMG]

s5tuart, Glyderslead, Ebidis and 2 others like this.
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

A collection should match your needs. If you've learned what you needed from stuff, let it go. Keep what you actually play, not what gathers dust. Consolidate. Focus.

Be the ball.

3. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Ok, water on the side then. My stomach is old. :rolleyes:

Tguitarfloyd and JB74 like this.
  4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Ahhh... Yes, in that case understood and perfectly acceptable.
    cheers,
    IMG_0816.JPG

Glyderslead and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  5. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

This explains where I’m at and what I’m currently working on.

circles likes this.
  6. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-O-Master

Hey, I'm of the Playstation and original Nintendo generation (early 1990s)!
    I'm 42 and have been playing my Soldano Astroverb effects loop prototype since I bought it from Mike at the factory in 2002 for $500. The amp had been displayed at the 1999 NAMM and been shipped to a potential dealer in Germany and back so it was a "used" price (SCORE!).

At home, for low volume I also use a clean Fender amp for a clean channel (even though the Soldano preamp cleans up great with volume or picking force reduction). I've got a Blues Jr III, but I don't crank it so I could just keep using my first amp, which is an '98 SS Fender Princeton Chorus and sell the BJ some day.

I have a HSS Strat (started as a '97 MIM and became USA Custom Guitars parts) and a cheap import Hamer XT I bought off hellomusic.com for $197 in 2012.

I have watched a whole bunch of YouTube demos of all the different kinds of modellers... with every single one the distortion sounds like it is a fuzzyness that always occurs at the same frequency, regardless of the note or chord being played. I do not hear the (preamp) tube crunch that I am used to... I will never "upgrade".

As long as you can get all the sounds you want without damaging your hearing... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If what you have works, leave the tech stuff to the smart phone facebook generation.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Tguitarfloyd and HazyPurple like this.
  7. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    I bought a Runt 50 and the matching 2-12 cabinet. I don't play gigs but it's fun to rock out on when I can. It is a terminus amp but I wish I had a 20 watt version.

Robins likes this.
  8. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

That's great.

When I started out I felt I needed everything. And spent quite a bit of cash. Found myself fiddling with dials more than actually concentrating on my playing proficiency.

Two amps, one clean, one dirty and an A/B switch is what gives me enough joy these days.

All the best.

Danny D likes this.
  9. Giglaeoplexis

Giglaeoplexis New Member!

I’m 51 and have been using modeling amps since 2000. The only great amp I ever owned was a Fender ‘59 tweed deluxe. I worked as a recording engineer in a studio in Brooklyn and we had a nice assortment of amps.

I’m no longer at the studio and no longer have space for amps nor can I turn up the volume to get them to do what they do well.

So, for me, my target for any modeling gear is my experience with real amps and effects. As a listener, it’s rare I can tell the difference — even in my own recordings. But as an engineer I don’t have the same freedom. I can’t place mics where I need them to get the perfect sound.

If you’re not recording, have the space, and volume isn’t an issue, there’s absolutely no reason to buy new gear that’s designed to sound like what you already own.

All that being said, modeling technology is a great way to demo new gear before you buy — provided you have the budget. The styles I play frequently are pretty limited, but there are times when specific gear work for a single song.

BUT my first choice is for a real amp because all the magic is in my hands. And real gear gets me to where I want in seconds rather than tweaking settings to get to something that sounds real.

Tguitarfloyd and StratMike10 like this.
  10. Yinzer

Yinzer Strat-Talk Member

Weigh 5 lbs and fit in my guitar case.

Tguitarfloyd, StratMike10 and Cerb like this.
  11. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Quilter Overdrive 202.

4.5lbs and 200 watts. Sounds amazing.

StratMike10 likes this.
  12. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Or unappreciative folks, who have no idea of it's full potential.

Danny D likes this.
  13. RussV

RussV Senior Stratmaster

I'm 64 and I've been playing the same 1962 Strat since 1975, so my answer is no. I watch what's going on but I don't feel the need to indulge unless it's really useful (and doesn't cost too much!)

Lionpotato and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  14. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talk Member

I guess I can speak to you as one 65 year old to another, at our age we don't have to give a s**t anymore. I have owned well over 500 guitars and over 100 different amps and recently I have developed a huge I DON'T Care attitude. I have sold off most of my vintage amps and kept the couple I actually use the most and the same go with my guitars, went from 38 to 14 and am going to give a couple of my grand kids a guitar when I go to visit next month. I moved way past the point of caring about pedals and the latest and greatest everything and just do what makes me happy.

Danny D and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  15. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

No, not really. However, I highly recommend the UAOX for integrating these amps into the modern recording world. I’m 67.

16. OneOcean

OneOcean New Member!

As someone also in the middle-upper years of guitar playing, I could definitely see how modern gear might be a better fit as your living situation changes. At some point, you may just want to start getting rid of a lot of the stuff you've accumulated over the years so it's not a burden for your heirs. You also know what its worth so will likely get more for it than if it goes to an estate sale or yard sale. Your musical needs may also be changing. Still gigging in a band that calls for a Marshall full stack? Will you be downsizing your house or perhaps moving to a place where your neighbors don't want to listen to you? These are some of the reasons I could see replacing all those big amps with something modern like a modeler and a lightweight powered speaker.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  17. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

I don’t know. Depends on what’s important to you. I’m 61 years old. I love reading about and trying new gear, even though I’m more than happy with what I have.

18. gogaterz

gogaterz Strat-Talk Member

19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

You absolutley neeeeeed a helix!

Then you can start shopping for irs, frfrs and blabetty bah blahs, cuz you neeeeeed it!

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  20. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

"Do I need to care anymore?"

Does seem there's legions of people totally willing to not only tell you "Yes, you must care; you will be made to care!" but also fanatically intent on having you care about what THEY care about. Or else.

You do you. While you can. While you're allowed.

JB74 likes this.