Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Do I want an American Elite?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Jigawatt, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talk Member

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    I'm thinking about buying myself a Christmas present..
    I'm yet to play one but I can't shake the idea of an Elite tele in that nice Champagne colour.

The reason I'm looking at the Elite is A, the colour and B the body contour.
    The only thing I'm worried about are the noiseless pickups, my workhorse tele (the pink one in my pic) is fitted with really low output toneriders which I really like. Low output pickups work better with my amp. I can almost turn it up to 2!
    I like having clean headroom.
    Does anyone have experience with the noiseless?
    Also I'd probably change those saddles to brass ones.

Rich.

2. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    You need to be worried about the neck the pickups can be swapped. But the neck profile is not a standard 9.5 it's a compound.

3. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    Yeah, I'm yet to play one.. my thinking was it's the same profile that's used on the Pro, it can't be anything too drastic or niche?

4. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    The Elite’s neck profile is quite different from the Pro’s. Thinner and faster. I like it, but if you prefer big chunky necks, you might not.

Aside from color, it sounds like an American Pro Tele might suit you better — brass saddles, passive pickups, and so forth.

5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    The Elite neck profile is nothing like the Pro.

The Birdman likes this.

6. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    Oh really? My mistake then. Maybe it's not for me, I'll see if I can go and play one somewhere. Man I really like that colour though!
    Before I moved on to this I was looking at shops that still have Standards in stock because of the body contour. Very limited in colours though, only black left with a maple board.

Bluestrat83 likes this.

7. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Reverb.com

Check that out. I would suggest a pro or standard. The deluxe I think also has a 12 radius so I am not sure you'll like it either. To put it into perspective a 12 is flatter, think more like an Ibanez neck. What color were you looking at if you don't mind me asking?

8. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK
    It's Champagne. Oooh pretty.

IMG_3552.JPG Yeah I'm not sure I'll be into that. I'll give it a go though.

It's a shame the pro doesn't have a body contour. Mine 'came alive' to me when I cut them in. And the white only comes in rosewood...

carolinaeasy and nederemer like this.

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    https://reverb.com/item/6908558-201...e-tele-body-usa-telecaster-usa-champagne-sale

There you go. You can build your own. Only problem is I think the elite has a different neck socket so if you are to put a standard neck on you might need to modify the heel.

Jigawatt likes this.

10. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    I love the neck on the Elite Strat. It does feel thinner to me than other Strat necks but not by a lot. The compound feature of the neck only make its easier to play on the higher frets, along with the shape change of the neck. Which is very subtle. Definitely try one out..you may love it. That neck along with the carved heel made it my main guitar within two days of getting it.

The pickups on Strat are really good. Not sure what they are like on Tele.

11. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    It's a dream gee-tar. I can only dream about it.

Jigawatt likes this.

12. Jigawatt

Oct 19, 2016
    UK

I will give it a go for sure. On my '62 hot rod which has the fattest neck in the land, it's comfortable down playing chords but sometimes feels like it's holding be back when I'm way up there, so possibly it's a good thing.
    I'm not a fan of flat superstrat types though. We'll see, I'll give it a go.

13. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I love the compound radius, gives the best of both worlds. Has a the working end rounded for chords and the show end is nice and flat, lol. The thickness on the one I tried wasn't too noticeable to me but everyone is different.

It's thinner but to me its comparable (thick wise, not shape) to say a slim taper D Gibson. For the money, I'd really play a couple before buying or at least using a store with a great return policy.

TheDuck, Jigawatt and Brian H like this.

14. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

It still feels like a Strat neck to me....until you get up around the 12th fret...then it feels like its way easier to play on! I would always struggle up there a little and end up using other guitars for certain things. But with the Elite neck...no problem. I don't like really flat necks either.

TheDuck and Jigawatt like this.

15. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Jigawatt
    I am also going to say the Elite / Deluxe compound radius neck is the best Strat neck ever. In my opinion, at least.

I dont own an Elite, I have a 2012 Deluxe, with a similar neck profile. It still feels like a Strat, and I have a Jackson with a compound 12" to 16" radius neck, so I have something on hand to compare it to.

If you do a lot of Hendrix style thumb over work, you might not want the Elite, (unless you have very large hands) but for everything else, I'd say go for it.

As far as the N4 Noiseless pick ups, don't buy into the BS that Noiseless cant sound vintage, because they absolutely can, and they do it with no noise.
    Plus, they will handle gain far better than any traditional style single coil.

I had N3 Noiseless with the S1 switch in my Deluxe, and I really liked them.
    The only reason I removed them was to "upgrade" to an EMG DG20 set up. I prefer EMGs, thats why I switched, though there was nothing at all wrong with the N3s.
    My signature links have a few jams with my N3s getting their vintage on, if you're interested.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Nick42, Jigawatt and circles like this.

16. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I'll echo that the Elite neck is definitely not like the old American Deluxe necks - the Elite neck starts out like the American Deluxe neck but transitions into a flat D shape by the time you're down to the 5th-7th fret. Some of them are closer to the old Modern C, but most of them get kind of chunky, and they vary a lot so there must be a lot of hand sanding going on with them. Of the American Elites I've tried out (not a huge sample - 6 strats, 7 teles) only one of the Teles had a neck that I kind of liked as it was similar to the previous American Deluxe neck. I miss the 2008-2016 American Standard and the 2010-2015 American Deluxe necks.

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Is a pig's butt pork?

There is your answer.

TheDuck likes this.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

I would also add that if you wait a few weeks until Thanksgiving you can get some good deals on these...usually, 15% off without any haggling, sometimes more if you call and wrangle with them.

19. DickBanks

DickBanks Strat-Talk Member

May 2, 2017
    Olathe, KS
    I have the 2016 Elite Strat, a MIM Strat, a Baja Tele, a Les Paul trad Pro IV, and an ES-335 w/ Bigsby. The best player by far is the Elite. My favorite tone is with the S-1 engaged, pickup position 4, which I believe gives all 3 pickups in parallel. Gets really close to a humbucker in thickness of tone, but keeps the Strat jangle.
    It's worth the $$$ IMO...

20. circles

circles Senior Stratmaster

I like the ones I tried very much, but they are out of my price range (at this time).