Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratafied, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:01 PM.

1. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

Pink floyd before gilmour didn’t know anything of theory( apart from rick), and that’s what made their music so unique. Syd would change time signatures and keys all the time

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. BK201

BK201 Strat-Talker

Not very all music theory builds off the major scale which is what's called a diatonic scale and is comprised of 7 notes.

Minor scales flatten the 3rd, 6th and 7th note.

A pentatonic removes the 4th and 7th note in the scale.

A major chord uses the 1st 3rd and 5th note in the scale

And the equivalent chord in minor uses 1st, flattened 3rd, and 5th note, you can build these chords off each chords respective major scale.

There's a way to make the major scale but it's better to Google.

A scale is determined by a key

A key is determined usually by a melody and chord progression that resolves back to the tonic.

Stratafied likes this.
  3. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Odd that so many seem to see this as an 'all or nothing' concept - you either 'know theory' or you don't; you either have to commit to learning this huge complex mid boggling thing, or not.

It doesn't work like that. Theory is just language and a system to describe what's happening, you go into it as far as you want. If you know a basic pentatonic scale, you know some theory; if you know the fretboard is divided into semitones, you know some theory.

Also, in regards to the great players who 'didn't know any theory', its surprising how often these same players pop up in interviews describing music or what they do in theoretical terms. It's actually quite difficult to learn to play any musical instrument and 'not know any theory' unless you learn by yourself, without the aid of any music resource at all (books, videos etc) and never interact with other musicians where you need to communicate.

4. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

If you ever want to be able to play more than one style of music with, critically, with, other musicians playing different instruments, then you need to know theory.
    You need to know what a chord is. What a key is. You need to know what I and IV means. You need to know the notes on your guitar so you can fix a mistake in a middle 8 or a solo and not look completely ****. If you ever plan to write any songs of your own you need to know what a fifth is, what a 7th is, what an octave is etc.

If you grew up being shown how to play songs or even just do - as I did when I first started out - tab books and learn everything note for note, change for change, you will be able to "play" the guitar as well as anyone. Sure. But if you ever want to make music of your own, you need to understand what you are playing and why it works.

For many years I was quite content to just learn songs and play them with friends. That's enough for most people. About 10 years ago I really committed myself to learning theory and that included scales. Now I can play half a dozen different styles of guitar and I really enjoy playing with new people. Previously it was a source of anxiety/terror.

5. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

It’s obviously not necessary, but it helps.