Do You Baby Your Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Opj77, Aug 1, 2020.

1. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Strat-Talker

Yes and no. I keep’em in their cases when not used. Wipe off sweat once in a while and apply fast fret on older strings.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    JJ119, 3bolt79 and Opj77 like this.
  2. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-Talker

Strats have always been beaters to me. I baby my Goldtop but thats it. My SG is a beater too. I do, however, take care of all of their fretboards and electronics

JJ119, 3bolt79 and Opj77 like this.
  3. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

Chuck, expound on what you consider a “beater.”

Chuck8436 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

I think of guitars kinda like muscle cars. I’ve always wanted an old muscle car that looks taken care of, but like it gets driven every day. I think those look much cooler than cars that look like they come out of the garage once a year and look obscenely shiny and perfect. I still admire both.

JJ119, Chuck8436 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I wipe my strings and fretboard before I put them away. Always have done since I started playing. I never polish them, they don't need it. If they get dinged, I repair them as soon and invisibly as I can. The only one I didn't do that with has been refinished, I learned my lesson with that one, damaged poly does not behave well over the years.

6. jdanelam

jdanelam Strat-Talk Member

I usually wipe mine down about once a year when I clean and oil fretboards. Other than that I use a paintbrush to dust around the hard to clean areas when I change strings which is about every 6 weeks. Mine hang on the wall in our music room so I can grab one and play a little without having to dig it out of a case in a closet. On average I play 4-5 hours a week.

JJ119, garyhoos1, Opj77 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm an in between guy. I can't remember the last time I cleaned a guitar that I had just played. I carry them in cases, not gig bags, though. I never oil the fretboard but rather let my hands do that for me when I play. I don't relic them but will not lose any hydration over a ding here and there either. I learned to wear my scars with pride so should my guitars...granted I don't Townshend them either.

StummerJoe, JJ119, Tone Deaf and 3 others like this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I don't baby them. Neither do I abuse them, with the exception of strings, sometimes.

The players go from stand to hand to stand. Sentiment/mint spares stay in a case. Occasionals, alternate tunings, acoustics in a rack/hand/rack. All get wiped down as needed.

Everything not in a case is kept in a room with probably 50-60% humidity, (a guess) and an average 75 degrees, plus or minus 3.

Don't really take them out as I'm confined to the house for the foreseeable future, but I'd use a hardshell case if I did.

JJ119, Tone Deaf and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

nah, I let mine run around the house. Do what she likes.

JJ119, Blackmore Fan, Groovey and 2 others like this.
  10. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

somewhere in between for me, i always wash my hands before i play, but only wipe it down during a string change. When im done playing it sits on a stand that doesn't even have a neck rest :eek: But i am consciously careful with it while i'm using it. Although i did find a small dent on the front of it the other day...very minor and it didn't chip the nitro, but it's there...still waiting for that first chip to get out of the way, it will almost be a relief to me once it happens :)

JJ119, Tone Deaf and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

I wouldn't say baby them but am careful and do maintain them; however the mishap of a scratch or ding is bound to happen eventually unless it's never played.
    I've said some ugly words in the past when a mishap occurred and once literally took one out of the hands of a friend due to his careless handling of it, but I'm much better now kinda.

JJ119, Hydr0, Tone Deaf and 1 other person like this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker

^^^this^^^...but only one and a half strokes...no point in getting too wrapped up in it ;).

And I hang mine...I feather dust them about once a month or three.

JJ119, Michael919 and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I wipe it down with a cloth after use. If it's been on the stand, I use a fine, soft, brush to remove the dust from the places that the cloth doesn't reach (tuners, pickups, bridge).

Tone Deaf likes this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It depends on the guitar. Some I baby, and keep them cased, and some I don’t. I wipe them all down after playing. But that is about it.

Deathray, JJ119, jtoomuch and 2 others like this.
  15. rich724

rich724 Strat-Talker

I don't wipe it down unless I was sweating like a beast all over it. I leave it on the stand if I'm going to be practicing on it. Put it in the case for transport or storage. Change s
    Strings as needed.

16. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

I've got a kind of Jeckle and Hyde dichotomy going on. I beat on them pretty hard when I'm playing, but respect the hell out of them when I'm not. I know my guitars will be here long after I'm gone, and I try to be a good steward. Protection of the instrument is paramount. I always pad my belt buckle, and dings and scratches are simply not allowed. Mostly. But things are different when I play. Maybe it's because I learned to play electrics without an amp, but I pick really hard. And I eschew the use of a whammy, so I find myself pushing and pulling on the neck to get a tremolo effect. Then there's the forearm smash that makes 'em go ba-WHANG after a downstroke that I like so much. But other than a little neck wear, not too bad because I don't play any one guitar all the time, and some visible wear on my pickguards, which is what they're there for, my guitars hold up pretty well.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. kdines

kdines Strat-Talk Member

Let’s see: I keep mine on a hanging stand (or in a stand up case), always wash my hands before playing and don’t wear anything with buttons when playing. I wipe the neck and body down whenever I think about it - every few weeks?

JJ119 and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Jmart1212

Jmart1212 Strat-Talk Member

In between I guess. My better guitars I keep in their cases. I do have a couple cheapos out, but don't abuse those either. What I have noticed is that I can be a little obsessive of whatever guitar Ive just purchased.

19. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

I take very good care.

20. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

This thread actually begs the question:

Is babying a relic'd guitar considered counterproductive? Wouldnt you want as much use and abuse presented on your guitar as humanly possible?