Join Strat-Talk Today

Do you consider this to be "good acoustic tone" for a Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 57Strat777, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

Hi guys - I made a video of my Strat unplugged without an amp. How does it sound? Do you consider this to be "good acoustic tone"?

2. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

pretty decent yeah

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

acoustic/unplugged tone means nothing when it comes to electric guitars.....

RobZ69, Groovey, jazzman1021 and 4 others like this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

there is no such thing as a good acoustic tone for an electric guitar since there is no comparison between an acoustic guitar and an electric..

Any acoustic tone emanating from an electric has NO consistent, predictable impact on the tone from the electric guitar when it's used as intended. While it CAN happen synonymously with a good sounding electric sound, it does not mean every guitar with a good acoustic tone will sound good when amplified..in fact the dominant acoustic sound is indicative of physical properties that CAN be detrimental to the overall sound of an electric when used as it's supposed to be.

Remember, an acoustic is designed to do one thing, move air, the electric is designed to do one then, move electrons. IF you try to make either do what it's counterpart is designed to do., some compromise MUST be accepted..

r

CephasG, nutball73, The-Kid and 11 others like this.
  5. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Strat tone sounds like, well, and unplugged strat.

But the playing was beautiful!!!

57Strat777 likes this.
  6. Yves

Just had a little play on mine and it sounds "woodier" in comparison.
    How did you capture the sound, with your phone ?

7. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

Condenser mic on an old pocket video camera.

8. Yves

In fact I think mine sounds just like yours, no "woodier" at all.

There are times I find it sounds great unplugged. Especially when everyone are asleep. Also noticed that when I wear these IMG_20191103_151137.jpg
    and play unplugged, it sounds even better.
    Quite often I work on stuff during the night unplugged, along with soundtrack on my PC. That's how I noticed.

9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

Not *exactly* true. Resonant vibrational frequencies feed back from the guitar and back into the strings, changing the character of their physical vibration which is what generates the signal that goes to your amplifier. Since unplugged means you can hear the difference in resonance between one guitar and another to a better degree ... you are also hearing the difference in what vibrational frequencies are going to be fed back into the strings.

What you're missing here I think, is that INTERPRETING this difference into what it will sound like, is extremely difficult without years (decades) of experience testing it out in order to learn how to do just that and not be totally guessing.

Stratafied, rafasounds and MagnusR like this.
  10. Guitarmageddon

I disagree completely. A guitar pickup is an electromagnet used in reverse. It generates its own minute voltage when strings move and disturb the magnetic field. We're only dealing with magnetism, not vibration/tone, the way the wood and other components vibrate is not transferred to the pickups....That's also why pickup changes make the most changes in a guitar's sound. I have tried the changing lower end guitars to big block trems and upgrading parts - and I found absolutely zero difference in tone/sound when plugged in.

11. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-Talker

Electric guitars are made like coffee tables for a reason....they are dead unplugged.A toy acoustic thats worth the prize of your daughters doll ll sound 10 times better.

12. StratMike10

The strings disturb the magnetic field by vibrating. The vibration consists primarily of the fundamental frequency (determined by the string length, tension, and mass) and the harmonic frequencies, but there are also overtones created by other factors which include the bridge material and the guitar wood. These affect the character of the string's vibration by absorbing some of the harmonics and resonating with others, and therefore are sensed by the pickups.
    Some people, like you (and me) can't hear the difference, but others (like Eric Johnson) can. What you and I and Eric Johnson hear is subjective, but the fact of the matter is that some of the string vibration is affected by the materials, even if so small that most of us can't discern the difference.

13. Guitarmageddon

Overtones are not magnetic, they do not transfer.....I forever refuse to believe anything about 'electric guitar unplugged tone'.

oatsoda likes this.
  14. StratMike10

The materials affect the character of the string vibration. I agree that the electromagnets don't pick up anything the wood is doing directly, but they do pick up the effect that the wood has on the string.

15. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I will continue to subscribe to this logic because I find it logical that the pickups are picking up what the strings are putting down so naturally whatever is affecting what the “strings are doing” is picked up by the pickup. The clearer the pickup the better the transmission of what’s going on

Maybe it wrong but it makes sense to me.

16. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

Sounds nice. I appreciate a good sounding unplugged electric. It may be considered taboo, but I enjoy sitting and playing quietly unplugged. Shoot, there were times I didn't even own an amp.

Lone Woof, guitarface and 57Strat777 like this.
  17. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

I am allowed to play my electric guitar unplugged when my wife and I watch TV together. I get lots of practice unplugged. I think it is worthwhile to practice unplugged sometimes because it teaches you how to extract better tone with just your fingers.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    Tuner Sandwich likes this.
  18. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

almost sounds like a dobro...very cool

57Strat777 likes this.
  19. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-Talker

Yes but in the era of free software amps,laptops and headphones i dont understand why you dont just fire one of them in your laptop and just use your headphones...you can even use the headphones on one ear only so you can watch your favorite tv show and practice or simultaneously listening to the wife complaining about how everything you do is wrong and how about she was blinded enough to marry u although you were just her second choice....your bending and vibrato ll improve immensely cause while you doing them you would be imagining straggling her slowly....or well something similar to that.

57Strat777 likes this.
  20. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster

I have owned several Strats the ones that sound best acoustically are the ones with the universal rout. I also know from putting in many different pickup sets that the acoustic sound transfer is negligible to non-existent.

The one thing that throws a wrench in my certainty about this is semi-hollow guitars sound different than solid body guitars with the same pickups. I've done side by side tests with my PRS semi-hollow and its solidbody version and they do not sound the same despite the same setup and pickups. I am interested on what @Ronkirn , @Guitarmageddon , @StratMike10 and others who have chimed in, have to say about that. I do not know the answer.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.