Do you float your trem.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Aug 20, 2020.

1. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I've floated all my tremolo's, for the past 40 years.

Rodrigo Martins likes this.
  2. train

train Owner operator Silver Member

Float. In a setup for sale. Blocked. two knobs. Where the trem has a tendency to crack with use. And any older than 40 yrs. personally when I played I floated with light bridges . I like it when the whole guitar vibrates.

3. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Strat-Talker

I'm a floater, as already mentioned, a trem that was designed to float, should float.

Rodrigo Martins and Stratafied like this.
  4. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

But does it stay in tune???

5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@Stratafied
    Yes mine do.... take some patience and a little skill ... proper cut nut ( probably the single most important thing )... my stage Strats got the locking tuners and the Calliham vibrato bridges ... but most of mine are just stock Strats setup properly...

This is just a Strat set up right and $35 Guitar Fetish vibrato unit... if you watch long enough you can see me yanking the bar around and the guitar stays in tune the whole time... all of mine do that

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  6. Stratafied

That sounds real good . I’m leaning towards shopping around for a good guitar setup and special attention to having the trem floated. I’ve only had this Am standard for about six weeks, my first two point trem. My Am special and mim had six point and they worked great.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

If it's set up correctly and the nut is properly cut, yes.

Andrew Wasson and Stratafied like this.
  8. Stratafied

Thanks!!!

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

:thumb:

10. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Absolutely, I do.

Stratafied and Electgumbo like this.
  11. TubeStack

TubeStack Strat-Talk Member

I’ve tried floating, decked, and blocked, and much prefer floating. It feels more Strat-y to me. I love the spongy attack and overall feel and response of the strings when it’s floating.

I don’t use the bar at all, don’t even attach it, but I do manipulate the bridge up/down at times, with just my fingers or side of hand.

But it’s really about the spongy feel, to me, love it.

Stratafied likes this.
  12. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

8B4D5662-0BCB-41E3-8CD0-38FE5174CC3E.jpeg

GeejeeZ and Stratafied like this.
  13. cement_head

cement_head Strat-Talk Member

Yes, really happy I did.

Stratafied likes this.
  14. roccster

roccster Strat-Talk Member

Yes I always float my trem, I think the setup is better, and I like to have the effect of just pressing the palm on the trem.
    One of the cons is of course that it becomes a bit sensitive for just muting, but I have never had any issues with that. Also, you cant install 5 springs to "lock" the trem, which can result is some bad pitches when bending and playing strings that are not bent. :)

GeejeeZ likes this.
  15. RMScustoms

RMScustoms Strat-Talk Member

SRV is a challenge to play but when he used his trem he had it very tight making it a chore to bend, but that is how he played.
    I have had guitars that were set very balanced and floating. It was cool because i just had to barely touch the trem to create effects, the downside was that it would go out of tune so very easy. The cure is a locking trem, but i was not going to go into that kind of expense for a lower end guitar.

I guess i am like Eric Clapton in that I am not a tremolo fan. I blocked one of my guitars that I built just like Eric did his and it has added resonance that I like. Blocking is the way I like to go.
    My other guitars with trems on them I did not block, but I did lock them down so that they play like a flat tale but can be reversed if I ever sell them. Those are my guitars I am keeping original because they are collector axes.

It really is a matter of taste and playing style, neither is right or wrong. I think the biggest thing you need to consider when deciding is the inherent tuning issues.

Hope this helps

Rich, RMSguitars

Stratafied likes this.
  16. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

Almost all my guitars are hard tail. I like being able to go drop D or change tuning, prefer the stability hard tail provides, and think it just works better for how I like to play and use palm muting. I see a lot of players that I think use the whammy in a gimmicky distasteful way. Like it is there so they feel they need to use it and it just sounds stupid. Not everyone for sure but they are out there. I have a prs with a trem and have had all sorts of guitars over the years with them but all have moved on other than the prs. String through strats are my favorite. I think fender and squire are stupid for not making more strat models with hard tail. I had to make my own ideal strats by combining things and making mods.

It is just a feature I don’t care much about. Acoustic guitars don’t have it, bass guitars don’t have it, telecasters and les Paul and lots of other models don’t have it. It’s an interesting feature but I’m fine just having one guitar with it.

GeejeeZ likes this.
  17. Belltonenblues84

Belltonenblues84 Strat-Talker

Nope they're all decked or hardtail.

18. MusicManD

MusicManD Strat-Talk Member

The MIM Standard that I played from 2005 - 2018 was almost always decked. The Jimmie Vaughan Signature that I have now is floating because that's how I got it. I almost never use the Strat trem arm, though - I prefer a longer arm like a Bigsby or a Jazzmaster. Every few months I put the arm in, but I only use it a couple times before I remember how short the arm is.

I keep thinking that I'll deck the bridge so I can bend without pulling the other strings out of tune, but I know that will require a full setup and I'm lazy. Lol.

Stratafied likes this.
  19. cspencer

cspencer Strat-Talker

Float one that's in a gig bag. Decked one that's in a case. Storage reasons. No other reason.

Stratafied likes this.
  20. mckendrick

mckendrick Strat-Talk Member

One floating, one blocked.

The blocked one was decked.... 'til I realised how much tone you lose just by decking.

Blocking it brings back the floaty resonance without the float.

Who knew?