Do you get a volume drop with Chorus?

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
I'm planning to move on / remove a flanger from my board - just not quite useable enough. AND, even through the effects loop I get at least some volume drop when I kick it in.

Does this tend to happen also with Chorus pedals?

I'm considering the CE-2 (maybe Waza), but will look at budget pedals too (Mooer or others?). Thx.

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
Walrus Julia has a volume boost.
My CE-2w in standard mode has a slight boost but a bigger boost in Custom (CE-1) mode

touch of gray

Strat-O-Master
Jul 10, 2022
Bismarck, ND
I'm planning to move on / remove a flanger from my board - just not quite useable enough. AND, even through the effects loop I get at least some volume drop when I kick it in.

Does this tend to happen also with Chorus pedals?

I'm considering the CE-2 (maybe Waza), but will look at budget pedals too (Mooer or others?). Thx.
I had limited space and power supply on my board so I decided to try a Wampler Terraform for almost all of my modulation pedals. Each effect is fully tweakable so yo can set it up as loud as you need.

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
Thanks all. Quick update. I have an MXR analog chorus I'm testing home. I can't imagine needing/wanting anything g more or different. Very quiet, no volume drop. I'm embarrassed it took me this long to decide to have a chorus pedal.

That said, I will check out the terraform also.

unionjack515

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 3, 2011
Batavia, Illinois
Just curious, do you dial the mids down on your amp? This tends to amplify the perceived volume drop with modulation effects. I’m a mid-scoop fan so it seemed like I could never find a chorus/flange/Leslie/trem pedal that worked for me until I tinkered with the mid dial on my amp. Game changer for me on this topic. Good luck!

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
A few things are happening when we refer to what happens.
Flange and chorus vary output to some degree depending on your chosen settings, so if a manufacturer tries to build them all for unity gain it will not work out.
Then even building them all to the same output doesnt seem to work, so certain models will vary between samples.
MXR fixed that problem by designing in a boost, so your settings never create a drop. But some customers call boost a problem.

Better chorus and flange pedals add an output knob, but not many of them add that feature.
If youre on thefence you might look for a Fulltone Choralflange that does chorus and flange plus has the output knob.

I think the Ibanez 10 seried chorus have the slight boost no drop and are great sounding classics, not puke inducingly 80s sounding.
There are numerous models and all sound great except the one that also does flange.

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
From what I can tell, the Level knob on the MXR works as a dry/wet control (not volume) - i really like this as a feature. However, I'm also testing a JHS 3 series chrus-it has a knob labeled Volume, and that definitely is what it controls. For me, about 11 o'clock is unity for pedal on/off.