Do you like Hagstrum?

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Steelskin, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Well I was bored after a jam session yesturday and needed to kill soemtime so I wondered into our friendly local Gibson dealer. I played an old 60's or 70's Hagstrum not to long ago. I like old semi-hollow bodies... I spoted a couple on the wall and took them down. One, Shape of a LesPaul but with contours. The neck was SUPER thin which I really liked, body felt nice, but scale was short. Kinda felt like a wee mans guitar. Synthetic fingerboard. series/parallel switch. This thing had some great tones to it, considering it wasent even wood on the fingerboard. This isnt a review of any kind, just the first modern Hag ive played and i kinda liked it.

Anyone else like these??

2. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I seen a few that I like, but I'm not sure what model it was. Never played one, though. My recent noodling on a LP Smartwood makes me think that the short-scale guitars are NOT for me.

3. SweStrat

SweStrat Strat-Talk Member

I bought a Hagstrom Super Swede about 2 years ago, actually I imported it from the US. I like a lot, nice sound and great quality.

Attached Files:

4. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

I think i gave a shot at one just liek that yesturday, i wasent big on that one but the other... same shape but had a switch at the top and bottom where the cut out is, and another that had a stratish body

5. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

i,ve heard their pretty close to the les paul if you find a good one

6. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Strat-Talk Member

I've got a 68 Viking II I picked up at Gruhn's in Nashville last September, just the wood, and spent the next couple of months locating parts and putting it back to gether. I love it! Its about the only thing I play right now (though my 53 D-18 is supposed to be coming back from Martin this week I hope)
    Hagstrom Viking II Photo Gallery by James V. Roy at pbase.com

7. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

This is the one i played. I am definatly going to go after this girl. I cant get her out of my head lol

Hagstrom Guitars

Thats a nice axe James... Reminds me of a coronado

8. JamesVRoy

JamesVRoy Strat-Talk Member

Yes, they're very similar looking. I saw one like your Swede at the NAMM show last month, took a picture because its the color and finish that I'd like to have mine done

[​IMG]

9. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Did you try one? the neck is the thinest ive ever felt i love it.

10. gideonwong

gideonwong Strat-Talk Member

I have a Reissue Viking. Put some flatwound 12's on it, and it is my main jazzbox now.

11. 69chargerse

69chargerse Strat-Talk Member

I have an Ultra Swede, it's a really nice guitar, and it sounds great. Nice pickups

Attached Files:

12. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

one of my favorite guitar stores has some Hagstrom guitars. they look very interesting. I haven't tried one yet, though. I may have to do that some day in the future.

13. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

Funny you should mention Hagstrom. I was JUST looking at the 2 P-90 SG style model they have for a few hundred.

Back in he late 60's a friend of mine that owned a Hagstrom 3-pup model played in a band with me. I had played that particular model many mamy times. I was playing a Gretch so he loved playing my Axe also.

But I believe they are decent intruments. I get the distinct impression they are slightly on the delicate side though. And thats how the original 60;s models were also.

I've been tempted by the P-90 model on several occasions. Only thing with P-90s is I have been gassing for a Wilkinson 3-90 Strat thats out. You don't see them in the states and when you do they Double the Price on them. But thats really what I'd like to find.

14. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

The ones that i have tried i have liked. Really fast neck, and i got a but load of tone out of one of them. Prices are defiantly doable as well.

S.rock.... Go try them!

15. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I will. but I failed to mention that I just bought a rare 2001 Gretsch "New" Jet from the same guitar store. my second guitar from them in just a few months. so, no more G.A.S. inducing playing of potential guitars for a (little) while. give me a couple of months, though. ha ha :D

16. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

I have never heard of Hagstrom, when I first saw the topic ; do you like Hagstrom
    I though it was some kind of Scottish Food

17. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

LOLOLOL Sleepy! heh, go find some, i think for the price range they are pretty decent axes.

18. Nu18F

Nu18F Strat-Talk Member

Does anyone here have experience with the three single coil Hagstrom F-300 ? Kind of a neat Strat type guitar but i have never seen one other than a photo . Now they are discontinued so doubtfull i could ever try before i buy .

19. GoranS

GoranS Strat-Talker

I was raised with Hagström guitars, my first two electrics was by Hagström. My first one was a 1963 red Kent, just like the one David Bowie had on the cover of one of his albums.

The second one was a 1976 HIIN that I bought new at the local Hagström store. Still got it but the pickups was replaced in late early '80 and the originals was sold a couple of yeas go. Replaced the tuners also, they where sorta crappy. Else it's a great guitar, with a great neck. It can be adjusted to the lowest action I've ever seen. My son who's also a guitarist have it as a long term loan.

Never really regarded them high, they where a poor mans electric at about half the price of a Strat back then. But they are much better then we gave them credit for.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  20. anfontan

anfontan Strat-O-Master

A friend of mine had one of the 8 string Hagstrum basses that was very easy to play and what a punchy sound it had.
    It was stolen once but it was such a unique instument that he was able to track it down easily when the thief tried to sell it to a local music store...:p