Join Strat-Talk Today

Do you like simple melodic lead?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Jul 10, 2019.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I know it's usually not very technically difficult but I've always been a sucker for simple melodic lead with a good tone that fits the song. Driving home from Canada I heard this Rush song on the radio (lol, right?) and really dig Alex Lifeson's lead in it. One of the best lead tones I've personally ever heard as well...

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Strat-O-Master

Great song, great guitar playing! Those other two guys in the band are pretty decent too.

3. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

What other guys? They surely can't be as famous as the guitarist ;)

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Never mind.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Electgumbo and s5tuart like this.
  5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

I much prefer a solid melodic solo over one that’s all flash and too many notes (to my ears at least.) A nice flurry of 32nd notes towards the end of a solo is great, but not 12 or 24 bars of it. There are a few guitarists who can pull off a fast melodic solo, but only a few.

I like it when each note has meaning and content.

6. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I've always thought melodic guitarists were a very underappreciated group. Guys like Andrew Latimer and Steve Farris are some of my favorite melodic players who's style just fit the music so well. I also dig Neal Schon's melodic with little bursts of speed style. I have no doubt all of those guys could blaze all day if they wanted to they just chose not to.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Nick Johnston

dogletnoir and s5tuart like this.
  8. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

Paul Kossoff

9. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I love it. There is no point in being the most technically proficient guitarist in the world if what you play does not sound good in the mix.
    but this is my fave.

and a close second.

10. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

11. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

Yes, I expect good things from them.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  12. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

I absolutely love Robert Quine's solos on this song. Masterful and rough around the edges at the same time...nothing fancy, really just major pentatonics...but the sense of pure melody in the playing is fantastic. 2:08 and especially the outro around 3:57.

Chicago Matt and mikej89 like this.
  13. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

I love melodic lead and soloing. I play that way myself in the main.. follow the chords..

Here is probably one of the best classic 'melodic' solo's of all time by Tony Peluso on the Carpenters 'Goodbye to Love'.. both the solo and outro are outstanding..

OK.. its the Carpenters.. :eek:.. but this is actually a great song. Worth a listen to how it all fits together.. :thumb:

14. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Great song. I'm gonna have to dust that album off and give it listen again...

mikej89 likes this.
  15. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

THE solo. From a lush Carpenters ballad to rock solo with the ‘buckers On 11 and the notes clipping and it just so works! I remember when it was released I was around 18 I think. I’d play it over and over, turning up the volume as it faded to get every last note and curse any DJ that faded it early or talked over it. A couple of months ago I asked my teacher to tab it for me to learn. I kind of drifted off course but this thread has spurned me to revisit it.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  16. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

That's great to hear your learning that solo Wrighty.. it really is something special.. To this day, I still love it, and so do thousands of others I think..

When I first heard it I was bowled over, and was always keeping an ear out on the radio.. and yeah.. cursed any DJ that cut it short or talked over.. ha ha.. :thumb:

17. DaveTone

DaveTone Strat-O-Master

While it may be a bit more uppity by example, this was one of the coolest leads I ever memorized - I may have mentioned this song before recently (Im hesitant to state Ive learned anything fully at this juncture, but my assault on the senses is in swing).

"Just Between You and Me" - April Wine. The solo constructs are simple, but have weight, and are so beautifully formed they tell the story as well as the lyrics IMO.

Right up there with the previously mentioned "Love Hurts" solo - just a bit more active.

18. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

I think playing melodically is more difficult that riffing off. You have to think more ...more precise in some ways...more subtle....a lot of emotion put out. I get more positive feedback from that type of playing. Because people feel it. Blowing it out is impressive but it goes over a lot peoples heads. Melodic playing also gets more from woman...ya know...if that matters :cool:

This guy does a lot of it. In this song right at the start then the solo at 2:07...even at the end when they ramp it up he's staying in it.

And of course Gilmore is a master at it.

But this is Buck Dharma

fattboyzz and mikej89 like this.
  19. Vincent7344

Vincent7344 New Member!

Peter Green's Need Your Love So Bad.

Easy to learn the notes....so difficult to make it sound that good.

T Bone Slort and otto6457 like this.
  20. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Yes...thats the thing with it. You can see many people online doing Gilmore. But there is almost always something missing. The notes, not so hard....the feel....thats what's unique.

Gary Moore is really good at melodic playing also. Though he likes to throw in some mean stuff along the way.

Thunderhopkins8 and duzie like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.