Do you mod your telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by lustror, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

In my opinion, Fenders are made to be modded. This is especially true with a MIM guitar. I bought a Fender Player's Tele, they are around six hundred bucks, changed the pots from 250 ohm to 500 ohm, replaced the pickups with noiseless, put on some neat brass control knobs, and replaced the bridge with a brass-saddled string-through to handle a Bigsby, which I also installed. I then put on some flat-wound strings, and an armrest to match the pickguard. This guitar is amazing. The mods were just a few hundred bucks, but I've got that Tele twang, no hum, and a neat tremolo. Basically, I'm a Gibson guy, but I have to admit that nothing beats a Fender for mods. telecaster finished project.JPG

dbolt and StummerJoe like this.
  2. Joe R

Joe R Strat-Talk Member

It doesn't get any better. I absolutely love the pine body with the knots in the wood. Bill Lawrence bridge and 5-way switch also very fine.

3. MugHimself

MugHimself Strat-Talker

My tele has the Bill Lawrence switching with a secret agent in the neck 67DFB00F-8B67-4B83-8BD3-46D9358F0218.jpeg

4. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

GraphTech Tusqe nut, strap locks, and American string tree(s) on anything Fender/Squier that doesn't already have them. That's it.

5. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

No, I make my own...
    FEA677F4-2127-48FD-AB82-46F0A2DDB2E1.jpeg 22EA5758-2B44-48A8-AB93-32B9FF464D7B.jpeg 21783943-EF74-407F-9622-2FF8D2A39B6D.jpeg 4C77EA1E-4879-481C-B0EB-3CFD9C13D575.jpeg F7C2A7A8-49DC-48AE-B4E3-A7DE4F016FF5.jpeg

RandyRoot and Bowmap like this.
  6. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

LOVE it - looks FANTASTIC!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I added a middle pickup and a second cutaway to mine.

8. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

I put brass saddles on mine, then discover I don't like the sound, then change them back to steel. :{ (Just did that recently)

More regularly, I change the selector switch to a Fender if it isn't already, and the switch cap has to be a top hat. I can't stand the barrel style ones.

And pickups. Always searching for a pickup combo and especially a neck pickup I like.

9. Stratocaster4life

Stratocaster4life Strat-Talk Member

Top-hat pickup switch selector, which I superglued on. Everything else was perfect.
    Telecaster Elite

10. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

Absolutely! All of my Teles get brass saddles, will either have a 4-way switch or blend wiring, and all but one have Electrosockets.

11. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Nope. Just string changes

12. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

4 way is must IMO on Teles with singles. I’ve changed bridges and pickups too and the pickup swap yields the greatest rewards. Ime there seems to be more gained when switching out pickups on Teles v Strats.
    F11F7E1D-7806-4FA0-84CF-B6112C9D9E6F.jpeg 7B8B8CBF-6791-4BC8-B612-2A917FD05A41.jpeg The Vintera Thinline is brand new but hasn’t had much playing time yet because it badly needs a fret level especially in the 11-13 region which I didn’t really detect in the store. I’ll get this sorted when I get back home next week.
    8DDA923E-1814-402E-BB71-C983BBFD057F.jpeg

RandyRoot likes this.
  13. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

No. My only tele is bone stock.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

15. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

This sounds really interesting !! I'd like to play a Tele ( Esquire) like this ! Obviously you had to create a cavity for the mid boost , was the wiring very complicated ?

Mr Jagsquire likes this.
  16. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

interestingly, I had a CV50 Tele that has had 1) neck replacements 2) saddle replacements. I almost tried replacing the bridge pickup just because I had a FOM bridge hanging around. I ended up selling that pup and keep the electronics stock. I had the rosewood neck on it for a good 5 years then I put the OEM neck back on. Then I put the OEM saddles back on. And I love the guitar as much as ever. Win win. I have a great Tele and good parts towards a new partsocaster.

18. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-Talker

Despite all the mod i would put on (Except Bigsby's) It will still just be a hunk of wood with some strings on.. Basic and straight to the point.

19. Mr Jagsquire

Mr Jagsquire Strat-Talker

It took a bit of working out because it's not a standard wiring scheme for any model: There is a custom shop Tele with it, but they have a special double stacked tone knob that I couldn't find for sale: Something I might come back to as I like how the CS one works: Normal tone roll of from mid position down and mid boost from middle position up to full.

I didn't want to have a third knob, so I had to work out a way to not have the passive tone pot that comes with the EC PCB kit. When it was an Esquire I just had the middle switch position set with a 200K resistor and 0.022uF cap to give the effect of slightly rolling off the tone on a standard Tele. Bridge position was direct to the PCB, so a little brighter with no tone in circuit, neck was the 'Eldred' wiring for a 'cocked wah'. So it was a mix of Esquire wiring and the PCB, with the mid boost knob in the place of the standard passive tone.

Now I've add a neck pickup, I've made it simpler: No tone in circuit, just pickup selector output direct to the PCB, active volume and mid boost for the two knobs. The tone is a pull switch for the bridge pickup tap (6k/9k). I really like the neck pickup without a tone pot in circuit too.

I find that I don't need the passive tone control as the two tap options give me enough range and dialing up the mid boost/slightly lowering the volume smooths the sound off a bit.

I put one in my Jaguar last week, but it has less effect than the Tele or Strat for some reason: I've checked the wiring over and over, so maybe it's just because the Jaguar pickups are very bright sounding to start with?

Mid 4.jpg

20. Keep on Truckin

Keep on Truckin New Member!

What Model Bigsby is that ?? Thanks