Join Strat-Talk Today

Do you name your guitar ?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by SilvaStrat, May 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. davidKOS

davidKOS still at home Strat-Talk Supporter

Like @fezz parka , none of my musical instruments has ever had a special name.

I call them "the 175", "the Tele" (even though it's a copy), "the bowlback mandolin", "the flatback mandolin", etc.

All you folks that have colorful names for your instruments, well, that's cool, but it has never been something that came up in my musical world.

2. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

I’m a big guitar guy, and a big car / bike guy. Yet, I’ve never named any of them. It’s just weird to me. But I do feel a personal connection to them, as if they are my family. I have never sold a guitar, a car or a bike. I feel like it would be like giving away the family dog. And it’s becoming a problem now. Wifey thinks it’s ridiculous to have three motorcycles and five cars. And she’s probably right.

wrvond likes this.
  3. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

Been playing since 1957 and have never even thought of naming a guitar.

dogletnoir likes this.
  4. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-Talker

I've only ever named two guitars, both as a teenager. I had a vintage white Japanese Mustang that I called Banana Fudge, and my first guitar, I named Bones. I still have Bones and still call it that. Even my dad and girlfriend call it that. All of my old band mates too. 20200402_133015.jpg

Andrew Wasson and dogletnoir like this.
  5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

I name the ones that deserve a name..

Andrew Wasson and dogletnoir like this.
  6. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talk Member

I do, typically give them names appropriate to their features. For example this one. She is faded whale blue, with a ocean aged bourbon burst back, and a big fin. So sticking with the ocean theme her names Ariel. Ive got plans for a purple one named Ursula and a baritone named Elphaba ( the wicked witch )

Attached Files:

dogletnoir likes this.
  7. randyman

randyman New Member!

Windy (as in “everyone knows it’s …”)

Hand-painted pick guard, Blade Runner, Sperzels, and dig those glass knobs!

windy-5.20.jpg

dogletnoir and CajunJ like this.
  8. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

Since I was a kid, I had been dreaming of having a Fender Stratocaster (the one in my avatar was a cheap replica of a late 70s ash model). I never named it.
    A few years ago I finally realized my teenage dream and bought a used Fender Stratocaster, a 2006 Surf Green Classic 50s. In a week, my wife managed to make it fall from the couch. Little damage, just some poly paint removed from the bottom. When she sent me the pictures of the outcome, she was really worried I would have gone crazy. I replied with pictures of famous Strats from SRV, Rory Gallagher, John Mayer (she's a fan).
    Therefore, since my beloved guitar has been marked for life by my beloved wife, I might as well call it "Louise" just like like her... :-D

CajunJ and gtto like this.
  9. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

My guitars already have names: Strat, Epiphone, Bullet, Firefly, Ibanez....

They were given those names at birth and I just stuck with them. : )

10. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

That said, there is little doubt that "Lucille" was part of what helped B.B. King make the whole schtick work. His loyalty to that guitar was historic. Few seemed to noticed that all of his guitars were named "Lucille". ;D

11. Apache49

Apache49 New Member!

Lucille

Attached Files:

12. gtto

gtto New Member!

Long story but here goes...I live in Thailand but at the moment I am stuck in the US because of the covid situation. I came here to do a three month gig and before i left I bought a '90s LP Standard. Haven't played anything but a Fender in more years than I can count. I was in Nashville so I had SS frets and a Plek done by the one and only Joe Glaser Instruments. (Best fret job I have ever had by far. Also the most expensive!) At first I really missed my Strat but since the LP is all I have with me I have played it a lot and kind bonded with it now. Because of this experience I felt forced to name the guitar "19" in "honor" of this life changing virus. I have never been a fan of naming guitars and probably will never refer to this one by that name except in my own head. FWIW if I make it home before 2021 I will be surprised.

13. Flat-twin

Flat-twin Strat-Talk Member

The only one that really has a name is the Frankenguitar for me because it evolved so much and I'm using it for testing purpose. I don't have a photo of it when it was new but this is the first modification (fender-ish pickup in the middle) :
    [​IMG]

Then it acquired its name because of this :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And current state :
    [​IMG]

Other than that, I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I often call "the big one" or "big guns" (now it has zebra "Slash" pickups from Seymour Duncan)
    [​IMG]

And this "my baby" or "the red one"
    [​IMG]

The latest addition to the collection is just "the tele" here with "the red one"
    [​IMG]

I still have a project for a second Frankenguitar but that one will be the next step (custom made body, probably a tele bridge + pickup and a P90 on the neck, neck from a pawn shop 50$ guitar). I'll have to find it a name when it's done but I have a few other things to finish first.

14. moosie

moosie Senior Stratmaster

Never did, no. Never understood the attraction, especially girl's names.

But then I started building. Now what? I can't say "I think I'll play the <insert model here> Strat today." Most of my Fenders are reissues of one form or another, so I think of them by year, usually. 57 Strat, 62 Tele, like that.

My first build was what StewMac calls Sonic Blue, which to my eye is about halfway between Sonic and Daphne Blue. I referred to it as "Sonic" one time too many, I guess, and it stuck.

Last year, I experimented with mixing colors, so I couldn't even use a classic car color name. Oh dear...

But the color reminds me of the gum that came with little packs of baseballs cards when I was a kid. And of course, of the other gum from back then, with the comics inside the wrapper.

Meet Bazooka :D:

20200222_173001.jpg

15. BW89Poplar

BW89Poplar Strat-Talk Member

Have never named any of my guitars except I refer to my Taylor as "Ten"; the craftsmanship and tone of it is fantastic.

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Not really

I just call them the Les Paul the Baja etc.

I do have one I call the Kevincaster because my late friend Kevin built it.

Andrew Wasson and Cerb like this.
  17. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-O-Master

Yeah, the Red Strat(sometimes known as EJ), the Other Red Strat, the Blue Tele....

18. CajunJ

CajunJ Strat-Talker

Not until a couple days ago... My wife and I went out to a town named Clinton to pick up my new Tele. I don’t name guitars, but she did! She named it “Clint Pine” for the town we bought it in and the wood. Lol. We thought it was hilarious and it automatically stuck. I can’t help but to call it Clint Pine now. It stuck so well there’s nothing I can do about it! Hahah

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM
  19. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Strat-Talk Member

Just refer to mine by model names. I wouldn't be able to remember all their names if I did name them.

BW89Poplar likes this.
  20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-Talker

My #1 guitar...whatever it happens to be, is always Mrs. Jones.
    But this amp is always Old Scratch.
    IMG_20200110_113332~2.jpg

dogletnoir and CajunJ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.