Do you own "The essentials"?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

but... but... but...

[​IMG]

Tguitarfloyd and JB74 like this.
  2. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

I have two good LPs, a good Strat, a good pointy Strat and a few ok acoustics. I have been lusting after a 335 for years, and would really like a 6120 and an SG. After that, any additional guitar would be a bonus.

3. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

Okay you touched on a few things here

1- Yes I'm a one guitar guy. I discovered this by owning multiple guitars. I know the sounds I'm missing; but I also know I don't need them.

2- Yeah, the trumpet, trombone and tuba are different instruments. A 335, Tele, Strat and Les Paul aren't. They're the same instrument. Contrary to internet guitar ho-hum, you can play any song on any of them.

3- I can hear the difference between them. I like my tube amps and Archer pedal as much as my modeling plugins.

4- All you need is one car. Yes, you can have more, but they're not essential. From Merriam Webster: "something necessary, indispensable, or unavoidable". An assortment of 335, Tele, Strat and Les Paul is simply not necessary, indispensable, nor unavoidable. You can record any song on this earth that has electric guitar on it with any of them. The song will do just fine with a PAF into a Blackface instead of a Tele into a Tweed. The music will still work. And the listeners won't care.

5- I think owning an acoustic, 12 string, 6 string and a bass makes a lot more sense than owning 4 different 6-string electrics. In fact I just need a 12-string to get there. (You can also throw in a baritone and Bass VI. Why not).

4. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

I tried to branch out, but Im a Fender guy .

Strats an Tele's ;)

Got a Bronco bass.

5. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Just strats and Mustangs. I’d love a Les Paul though.

JB74 likes this.
  6. Roger66

Roger66 Senior Stratmaster Double Platinum Supporting Member

I agree with everything that you said, including the fact that any song can be played on one guitar. Before I get to tone, here are other reasons for having multiple guitars. You need one with high action for slide. You need another guitar for special tunings that are intonated that way. You need an E flat guitar intonated for E flat for playing many band's songs. Even dropping an E string to a D needs a considerable intonation adustment. Especially if you barre it. B or G benders are great for some songs like the lead on 'All of my Love' by Led Zep. That lead REEKS of telecaster, a tone not available on an HSS strat. And, of course, tone. Without modeling which is a relatively new invention, which people like me have not accepted and probably never will. Some of us are purists. Tone is very important to some people. Different guitars have very different tones. I have one strat that has a tremolo bar which I like to use sometimes that sounds almost exactly like Davig Gilmour, who is one of my favorites. I also have a walnut one (for looks mostly) that has out of phase capabilities. That one is tuned to E flat. The two teles I have are very different. One is vintage, but hot rodded by Seymour Duncan, and the other has a B bender, an E dropper and out of phase options which really change the tonal characteristics. I would also like to add a parallel/series option to it. Those 4 fenders sound completely different, but do have the same string and fretboard layout to play the same song on them, except for the b bender who's sound is unique. No HSS strat. Fender is single coil territory for me. Iron Maiden makes great use of HSS strats. If I wanted to play Iron Maiden, I would make one. If I want to play Led Zeppelin songs, a Les Paul gets most of the tones I like for them. I also have parallel/series and out of phase pull pots on it, so I only need one Les Paul, but I want another one which is solid wood. They have more sustain.
    My SG with the same pull pots nail the old Zappa tones and sounds completely different from my Les Paul. It is Much thinner and bendier. It is one of my favorites. I'm sure that you realize that a Rickenbacker bass sounds way different than a Fender bass. For most YES songs, a Ricky 4001 is required. A Fender Jazz bass is good for the rest. A P-bass works better in a recording studio for some reason. When I hear a song I would like to play, I really like to play the guitar that sounds the closest to the guitar used on the song. That is very Important to me and many others. Rickenbacker guitars have their own, unique sound. Especially the 12 strings. As for acoustics, one needs a bass, 6 string steel and nylon, and a 12 string. As you said, baritone guitars and 5 string basses are also necessary. In fact our only real difference is you are happy with one 6 string, a HSS which is a very versatile guitar. Others LIKE different tones ONLY obtained by having multiple 6 strings of different models and Manufacturers, like me and a whole lot of other people. It is not a delusion, it is FACT. Some guitars do sound quite similar, but some are like night and day to the trained ear. That approach Works! Some people really enjoy being able to use a different guitar to sound like Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. Of course one can play those songs just fine on one HSS. My, and many others feel that SOUNDING exactly like them is just as important. A Keyboard can sound like anything one can imagine! But only a piano sounds like a piano, only a Hammond has the controllable Leslie, only a Fender Rhodes can deliver that tone and DYNAMICS and a minimoog sounds different than an ARP Odyssey and a Prophet 5. That is the same principle of having many six strings, but exaggerated. In conclusion, Every guitar that has a unique tone Has a unique tone. One can do a reasonable job of trying to sound like different guitars, but it is much easier to just have them.Cherish them. Love them. Personalize them for your favorite tones for THAT guitar. And they are all cool and beautiful in theirown style, sounds and looks. I think that you really need to buy another guitar. I hope some of what I said sinks in. And you learn to enjoy the different sounds from different guitars. All women are beautiful in their own way. I'm satisfied with one good one. Some people disagree. Everyone has their own opinions and even if you can't get into or understand them. They are not ALL deluded. A lot of people would say YOU are deluded to think that one guitar is enough for Everybody. We are on this forum to learn and share advice. I have done both in the less than a week that I have been here. It would be totally cool to have one guitar that actually gets all of those sounds, but don't be deluded. Such a beast does not exist in the natural world. Wish it did. Peace. Roger.

Tguitarfloyd and metrokosmiko like this.
  7. space

space Strat-O-Master

001.JPG 089.JPG 084.JPG 086.JPG 280.JPG 335.JPG
    covered

Gridlock, dante1963 and Roger66 like this.
  8. HandwrittenHero

HandwrittenHero Strat-Talk Member

Les Paul, SG and a pair of Strats.

Had a couple of teles but moved them on, not really found the right one there, maybe at some point.

Never had a 335 or anything of that ilk, just not felt like exploring that.

I get the single guitar thing. I personally don’t like having a big collection that has to be maintained and rotated or ends up boxed up and neglected. But having enough different tools to explore does wonders for creativity and breaking out of a rut.

9. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

Essentials....

1 x strat (63)
    1 x tele (2008 Nocaster)
    1 x Les Paul (2016 R8)
    1 x bass (1971 Fender Jazz)
    1 x fingerstyle guitar (1943 Martin 00-18)
    1 x travel guitar (1997 Baby Taylor)
    1 x resonator guitar (2009 National 0-14)
    1 x ukulele (1940s Martin style 1)
    1 x dreadnought (2004 Martin HD-28V)
    1 x plastic back (1988 Ovation Custom Legend)
    1 x 12-string (1975 Guild F212)
    1 x oval hole mandolin (1921 Gibson F4)
    1 x F-hole mandolin (2020 Eastman MD515v)
    1 x Resonator Banjo (1928 TB3 converted to 5-string)
    1 x folk era banjo (1961 Vega Pete Seeger)
    1 x piccolo banjo (1890s Stewart Little Wonder)
    1 x lady's banjo (1890s Stewart American Princess)
    1 x beach guitar (2010s Martin 000X1AE)

Trying to think of a non-essential one? Hey, there's no double-ups....

JB74 likes this.
  10. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

Guess I'm underwhelming with my "Essentials" :(

1.) My Strat = modded Glarry 5.5 lbs as good as a Mex. great for my joints.
    2.) My Epiphone Special with twin P-90s, LOVE it. :whistling:
    3.) My Memory maker 67/68 Univox ES 335 clone. Irreplaceable. Original, everything except a screw or two. One of a handful with a mutable floating bridge. :eek:
    4.) mouth organ kept in car for when I am trapped in it waiting.

* Looking for 2/3 more 1: an Epiphone SG, 2. A fluteophone, I Studied under a great teacher for a year. 3. Maybe another Tele, kinda miss my mex version.

Obviously I do not gig, I play and enjoy :D

Where can I go to test a fluteophone ? Ya think maybe GC ?

11. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

3 (Les Paul’s), 2 (Stratocaster’s), and 1 (Telecaster) works for me.

I love my Telecaster and Telecaster’s in general, but my Telecaster is probably my least played guitar

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Ebidis likes this.
  12. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

Hey, by all means! My only point is that the "essential guitars" concept is based on the assumption that you actually need a set of tones to pair with each song or type of music... Also the "essentials" implies some "essential" group of music that you need to cover... Who determines what that is? What makes the guitars different is tone, but for me tone is not "of the essence". The 6 strings, 20-something frets and your two hands are of the essence (and something to amplify your guitar).

But you're also right and I would be delusional to think I can nail all tones with my strat. I had a Nashville Tele, a Gibson LP Tribute, a PRS Se with P90s and a Charvel DK24 just last year but I sold them all and committed to one guitar. Why? When I had many guitars I spent more time comparing them and fussing over minutiae than actually playing. I recorded more 'shootouts' and tone tests than actual song sketches or new riff ideas. I liked them all (the Gibson not so much) but as I sold them off one by one I actually felt more confident, happy and in love with my strat. (Would be nice if it worked this way with love interests).

With an upcoming trip to the US, I'm very tempted to go guitar shopping. There's so much that I want. I would love a PRS, a Reverend, a Tele, some form of HH guitar. I've never had a Jazzmaster. But I'm also mindful that a "one guitar" approach is what helps me make the most music, and I'm about music more than I'm about gear... or I try to be. Maybe a 12-string or a lap steel is in the future.

Meanwhile... There's still amps and pedals to go completely nuts with!

13. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

strat - 70,s marshall and boss sd-1 - done

14. Roger66

Wow! Awesome, like if you added up their ages, thats like a millenium! Nice, nice, nice. What was that thing Brian May had? A ukelele banjo? You need one of those, too, lol. Good Show! I hope you have a good smoke alarm!! If you get a bunch of them, you will never have a fire! (Roger's corollary to Murphy's law: if you prepare for something, it won't happen) lol. I imagine that you keep them in a controlled environment. Might be worth moving to Port Hueneme. There is literally no weather here. 50° on the coldest night, and 80° on the hottest day. T shirt weather all the time. Not much change in humidity and not too pricey. If I can afford to live here, anyone can. Ventura is maybe 10 miles away and it gets much hotter there. Ojai roasts. Oxnard gets alot hotter as well. Something about this one spot. Safe from wildfires too. Well enough gloating about the weather. I was just saying that it's an ideal place for all that precious wood. My hat is off to you. I am blown away! Speechless. Jolly Good! It must be hard to keep them in new strings, though. I can't stop saying WOW! You have a museum there. Cheers! Skol!

Bazz Jass likes this.
  15. Roger66

See? That's more like it! I was a one guitar guy for decades, and I think that I am good now. Except for a few upgrades, another Les Paul, or SG with P-90's, a better 12 string and an old Vox AC-30. I don't have a normal acoustic steel 6 string yet, funny enough, but I'm pretty much done now. Too bad I don't have anyone to leave them to. I need to find a nice lady with musical kids, I guess. I had one but she passed and her kids are rotten. I think I will get into building more amps now. I have some great ideas. All tubes, of course. I knew that you couldn't be serious about the one guitar thing. Good thing that you are on this forum with polite guys like me, lol. People on other forums might have tore you a new one for saying all you need is one guitar. Such Sacrilege! Utter Blasphemy, Unamerican! Just kidding. We need to have a beer when you get to California! I just might have the lap steel for you. It's mostly wood though, 55 years old w/original case, Mint condition, 2 very vintage sounding original pickups, and I only paid $5 for it at a garage sale. They did not know what it was. It's a 60's 2 pickup Guyatone. Never used. Keep in touch. We need to have a beer. Cheers, Roger.

metrokosmiko likes this.
  16. Roger66

16247222933361699548269.jpg 16247223398611928405765.jpg 20210525_142258.jpg 20210617_184352.jpg Maybe we can go 12 string shopping. I need a better one. Martin or Taylor. I think Martin. I have found that picking up different guitars inspires me to play and write different stuff. But it IS the notes that count. Different tones are a luxury. Now I'm gonna plug my LP Supreme out of phase into a Champ with 4 extra gain stages (2-12AX7's) i put in. Here's some pics. CHEERS!

17. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

That sounds too fun!
    Ima try some of that.
    Hey everyone Roger66 is a SONIC MENACE!

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I own about 15 of the essential 17 banjo types (some duplicates in type).

For guitars, not so many.

Standard Tele ✔
    4-pos Tele ✔
    HH Tele ✔
    Esquire ✔
    Cabronita (eventually)
    Thinline (eventually)

Standard Strat ✔
    Hardtail Strat (eventually)
    HSS Strat ✔

Jaguar/Jazzmaster (not yet)

LP (nope)
    335 (also, nope)
    ES 175D (had one once)

Acoustics:

Dreadnaught ✔
    Archtop ✔
    Parlor (not yet)

Mandolin ✔
    Mandola ✔
    Ukes ✔

JB74 likes this.
  19. Roger66

Guilty as charged. Thank you. That means a lot to me. I do try. Check out the guts in this champ. Talk about a sonic menace, 4 extra gain stages (2 more AX7's) and pull pot to disconnect the volume and tone controls. Hee hee hee! 20210525_142219.jpg 20210618_000426.jpg 20210618_000318.jpg 20210618_000318.jpg

Attached Files:

20. Roger66

I was 25 now 55. They were cheaper back then.

Bcorig likes this.