Join Strat-Talk Today

Do you still use an optical drive with your computer?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by CalicoSkies, Dec 10, 2019.

Do you still use an optical drive with your computer (reader and/or disc burner)?

1. Yes

74.1%
  2. No

25.9%
  1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

fos1 likes this.
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My studio Mac has TWO optical drives inside, and I used to use them both every day. But now I haven't even opened them in a couple years, at least.

simoncroft likes this.
  3. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

No. My work laptop - Surface Book 2 doesn't even have one. My home desktop does, but I can't tell you the last time I have physically bought a disk. Everything can be downloaded, even the ISO for the disc, and mounted just like if you have the physical disc in hand.

Seems like a lot of waste to me to even continue to make them. I mean I guess it's great if you have no internet but..... I don't even want to think of that horror *shudder*

Edit: I guess I am kind of biased, because I manage an entirely virtual environment. So.... There's also that.

pwhite likes this.
  4. CalicoSkies

I'm not sure it's true that any disc ISO can be downloaded (at least, not legally). Movies is one instance where I like to have the disc, for the extras. If you get a movie in download format, it's usually only the movie. And I'm not sure you can go download any movie you want either (at least, not legally). Internet & streaming services can sometimes be unreliable too.. Sometimes I like having a copy of a movie I can play directly without streaming.

5. CalicoSkies

Sometimes I still feel more confident in optical discs as a backup medium because of their write-once nature. You can write a backup to an optical disc and then it can't be erased. Some people say optical discs degrade over many years, but I haven't experienced that issue.. And they have M-Discs now that are designed to preserve data a lot longer than standard optical discs, so M-Discs can be better for long-term backups.

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i used to love making music cd's. i still have the first one i made in a cd changer in my truck. but no burner in my laptop.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  7. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-Talker

None of my computers at home or at work have one.

Couple years ago I bought a CD for the first time in over a decade. Had no way to play it. Dug an old laptop out of the closet to rip it.

velvet_man likes this.
  8. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Its rare anymore but I use it mainly for audio cd's. For example, if I get a cd that I want to add to my iTunes library or vice versa, want to burn a disc for my Jeep's cd player.

I was helping my mom buy a new computer recently and had to convince her that buying a computer with a dvd drive it like car shopping for something that has a cd player. She compromised and ended up buying a external dvd drive for like $20 which made her happy.

9. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Strat-Talker

I do, but I haven't built a new machine for several years. & the DVD drive on the comp doesn't get used much at all now. Movies get played on the PS4 mainly.

I do like being able to burn some kinds of things to disc, especially stuff going into the fire safe (properly sealed against moisture) for safe-keeping.

I've had too many SD cards fail to trust them for critical backup.

10. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Yes...and no. JUST ordered a new computer that doesn't have one.

BUT- a friend is getting me an outboard one. I'm old school, I guess, but there's something closer to analog than further away, so to speak, I'm all about that.

I am just now learning to upload audio to the cloud. Ain't I just techno? (NOO!)

Yeah well, me and Joe

11. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

You mean like the googly eyes car?:D

[​IMG]

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

My laptop has an optical drive. I hadn't used it in about 2 years last time I wanted one--and it didn't work. That was almost a year ago. Haven't needed one since.

13. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Nope, but I keep a USB attached CD/DVD burner around just in case.

CalicoSkies and BallisticSquid like this.
  14. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

An optical drive. How quaint.

DisfiguredCarefulAnt-size_restricted.gif

Silvercrow and CalicoSkies like this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

My new computers don't have them. For my laptop it wasn't an option and for my desktop I opted out of it.

But, I have external DVD readers/burners that use if I need to. These days it only gets used to rip CDs to my file server. Yes, I still buy CDs if I can't purchase FLAC.

At work it's the same. My work PC doesn't have an optical drive, but part of my job requires me to burn discs so I have an external drive.

The situation reminds me of when the iMac came out without a floppy drive and people wigged out.

circles and CalicoSkies like this.
  16. CalicoSkies

Yeah, I was going to say for anyone who doesn't really use them often but occasionally wants to rip a disc, a USB optical drive might be a way to go.

I think the reason why a lot of people freaked out at the iMac's lack of a floppy drive was because a lot of people still used floppy disks at the time. I don't think CD-RW discs were a good replacement (they seemed unreliable), and USB flash drives hadn't really become much of a thing yet. I think Apple's decision to remove the floppy drive was a bit premature at the time. I eventually reached a point where I no longer used floppy disks a while after that point.

By "outboard" do you mean external? I haven't heard of an "outboard" computer drive before. ;)

Where do you buy music, if not on CD? I've seen a few online stores that sell music in FLAC format (my preferred format if I buy downloaded music), but often they don't seem to have a big selection of albums. I still often buy music on CD (and then rip them), so I haven't really looked online a whole lot for download-only music shops.

I still feel like the issue of having to make your own backups seems a little weird for buying download-only music. You can buy external USB storage for backups, but what if it gets accidentally erased or something? That kind of situation is improbable for something like a CD - With a CD, you'd only have to worry about storing it carefully and not damaging it too much (same with USB storage too).

17. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

All of my computers have an optical drive/burner and I have a USB BR reader/burner as well...just in case.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  18. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

I have an external USB drive and use it once every year to install Turbo Tax :D

Boognish and CalicoSkies like this.
  19. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

If I buy music it's off of iTunes usually, they seem to have everything.
    I use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) 8 terabytes of storage, with 2 external drive (both 8TB) as secondary and tertiary back ups.
    I don't use optical at all, anything really important gets saved on longterm USB sticks or offline storage.

CalicoSkies likes this.
  20. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Yeah not any disc, I mean movies, yeah sure.... But you can digital download all of them... And a large format flash drive can store multiples...

There are so many benefits to not having to have something physically.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.