Does a 50s Strat limit what you can play?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 17, 2021.

1. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I don't own a 50's strat.

I'd also say most people here don't either.

Those who do are fortunate and few.

And if there is a 'limit' then buy another guitar to get where you want to go.

more often than not the only limitation is the player holding the guitar and not the guitar.

dscottyg likes this.
  2. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Came here to post this.

They played plenty of rock in the 60s and 70s with 50s Strats.

If they could do it then, why couldn't you do it now? It's still rock and it's still a 50s Strat. The only limitation there is you.

dscottyg and FrieAsABird like this.
  3. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

IMO you can play pretty much all that music you mentioned on any Strat "IF" you have the right amp & effects but mostly the amp... For surf you need a lot of reverb and clean headroom so if you're in a band non-mic'd we're talking at least a pro-reverb for larger venues but probably a Twin.

dscottyg likes this.
  4. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Senior Stratmaster

The only thing that can limit what you play is YOU

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Strat-Talker

There is very little difference between a 50s style and 60s style strat. Look and feel are a bit different, and the pickups are slightly different, but very much in the the same sonic ballpark.

6. juzz88

juzz88 Strat-Talk Member

You can only play 50's music on a 50's Strat, everyone knows that.

The model names aren't just for marketing purposes.

For example, you have to be a professional American musician to buy an American Professional Strat.

7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

You are worried about the wrong end of the guitar cable......

dscottyg, Guitdog44, Torvald and 2 others like this.
  8. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

It's true! I've been having the damndest time trying to become a Vintera so I can buy one.

Ebidis and juzz88 like this.
  9. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

Absolutely not. Pups are at the begining of the chain. Many choices of amps and effects to colour the tone as you wish.

dscottyg likes this.
  10. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Well.. Yes .

For example - Knopfler plays Money for Nothing on a Les Paul because as he says - A Strat doesnt provide the right tone/vibe for the song

And as here made clear - he branched out and played different guitars because ... that expands your opportunities , your expressive ability , and what you hear when you play - which feedbacks into what you DO play and so it goes

A 50's OR a 60's Strat are LIMITING

Any one guitar is

Any guitar is limited by (for example ) pickups .

back to Knopfler - The same is true for the song Brothers in Arms

And of course the very unique tone and vibe of the National resonator guitar was what inspired Romeo and Juliet.

Again Knopfler himself, A guy who loves his Strat and has made astonishing music on it ALSO says certain songs aren't right for it AND by playing certain non Strat guitars - DIFFERENT music came out of him

And then there is the whole Monteleone thing ... And lets not forget Pensa Suhr!!!

people love to say satisfying (but nonsense ) oversimplified stuff like 'tone is all in your fingers ' or hey even my Sig on one of my groups 'all you need is three chords a guitar and the truth'

A 50's Strat is a wonderfully expressive versatile instrument

And all too often the limiting factor with a guitarist and his main tool (the guitar ... his effect(s) and amp are tools too ) is THE GUITARIST not his 50's Strat or whatever hes playing

My main axe is a 56 Junior. That's much simpler than a Strat but I can still play a remarkable range of music with it

But lets get real ... pretty much any one guitar is SOMEWHAT limiting

But who cares ... You aren't limited to one guitar . and of course ime (and Knopfler agrees ) will find different guitars to.some extent inspire new KINDS of playing ... Same is true of different tunings and different effects - such as echo, distortion , compression (which can come if I'm just the amp of course), reverb etc

The variety of music that can come out of s 50's Strat IS infinite

But ... as mathematicians know There are multiple LEVELS of infinity . look it up.if you dont believe me

no guitar (even my modeling varies guitars ) do everything

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    dscottyg and SalvorHardin like this.
  11. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

all strats sound good with distortion lol

dscottyg likes this.
  12. AO5060

AO5060 New Member!

Like other replies, I think you should go with the one that feels right and makes you want to pick it up. You can always change pickups to hone in on a certain tone/era/artist. I think with Strats, amp and pedal choices will be a bigger factor after pickups. Cheers!

SalvorHardin likes this.
  13. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

Yes it will limit you. No piano solos. No vibes. No tenor sax. No fender Rhodes- no harmonica. Of course if you’re Bill Kirchen, I take it all back.

Torvald and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Never limited Eric Johnson - his #1 for years was a 1954 - jump to 1:30 for the fireworks:

jd35801 and dscottyg like this.
  15. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes you are wrong on this. Either vintage can do every genre equally as well. The 50’s are maple and the 60’s are mostly rosewood fingerboards other than that they are pretty much the same, at least as far as sound and genre are concerned.

jd35801 and dscottyg like this.
  16. Vic42670

Vic42670 Strat-Talk Member

Take this as you will…. I just have one reference to make . SRV’s#1 I believe had date stamped pups at 1959 … even though it’s been guesstimated that the guitar is actually a early 60’s ( apparently to what I’ve found online about it , it’s not known for sure ) though could be a Frankenstein strat of sorts .it’s more widely thought the guitar was put together in the early 60’s with parts that were around from varying years .. my point ? Though Stevie did venture into super high gain territory , he did get some very high gain blues tones out of it as well as clean and most tones in between .. also with the billions ( ok probably more like 1000’s) of pedals and amps available you can more than likely get any of those tones you mention, or very close at least …. Pick the one you like best for : looks , feel , playability etc between these two would be my personal criteria . Iam no where near an expert but this is some stuff I’ve “picked up “on over the few years I’ve been fumbling around on guitars ( strat centric mostly )

dscottyg likes this.
  17. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

This what you do:

1 - pick any make and model of guitar

2 - pick any style or genre of music

3 - type both into Google

4 - notice that someone, somewhere has already done it

5 - realise that the only limits are the ability and imagination of the player.

6 - job done.

dscottyg and nigelr like this.
  18. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Strat-Talk Member

First of all, I just deleted my rant so be grateful lol. Basically it said, learn to use you gear. Buy what you want, if it's too bright..turn down the treble or pick closer to the neck, too bassy... pick near the bridge and turn the bass down, want to cut through more then turn the mids up.

It's nice to have multiple guitars to be honest, most guitars can do most sounds, especially older music. You have to spend time and figure out the limits of your gear and how to get what you want from it.

dscottyg likes this.
  19. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Is this a serious question?

20. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

You play the music not the guitar.