Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Does anybody have a Travel Trailer/RV?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Boognish, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Just wanted to know if anybody on here has a travel trailer/RV or goes camping? Where do you like to go camping? My wife and I took our Travel Trailer out this weekend to Canyon Lake...it was our first time since 4th of July last year. We usually go where there is some type of water like a river, beach, or a lake so we can hang out and drink beer. It was great weather, although a little cold for getting in the river. We went to Gruene Hall and saw a pretty good band playing! We plan on going out to Big Bend again later this year. It's getting warmer and hopefully get to use it more this year than last year!

rolandson, jimyjazz and tery like this.
  2. jeff h

jeff h Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    Camping season in Ohio starts in a few weeks. We generally get out to our 5th wheel a couple of times a month or so. It is parked at a campsite on a lake about an hour away. Great place to drink beer (and Fireball) and play guitar around a campfire with all of the other campers.

rolandson, jimyjazz and Boognish like this.
  3. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    Yea man! That's what we have been trying to find! A place to leave it over the summer instead of hauling it back and forth everytime we go out somewhere...pickin and ginnin and drinkin!

rolandson and jeff h like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. jeff h

jeff h Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    Yeah, that weekend camping and hauling it back and forth got pretty old after a year or so. We tried 3-4 different permanent campgrounds over the years before we finally found one we really liked. They are out there but can be hard to find.

rolandson likes this.
  6. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    We looked around this summer and one place quoted us $1,600/month. It is highly sought after place but they make more money on daily users than someone setting up shop for a summer, which I get, but damn!! Nobody else in the area do monthly rates during the summer, that is near a river/lake and within reasonable distance.

rolandson likes this.
  7. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    My wife and myself have gotten partial to van camping this past year. In about 15 minutes, we have the seats out and a mattress tossed in the back. Simple but effective. We get up to the panhandle of Florida from fall through spring. Got one more trip planned next month, maybe a van camping / surfing trip in may over on the Atlantic side. We love it!

rolandson, jimyjazz and montemerrick like this.
  8. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    Van camping is great! I lived in an RV a couple of times, the last one was a 72 Winnebago Chieftain that was pretty sweet. (real copper plumbing!)

s5tuart, vid1900, rolandson and 2 others like this.
  9. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog The Artist Formerly Known As gt Strat-Talk Supporter

Rb knows about some cool venue down by Galveston somewhere, I think. Music that is, don't know about the camping.

rolandson likes this.
  10. jeepguy242

jeepguy242 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 19, 2017
    Winston salem
    I lived in a pop up pull behind for 2 months when I moved to NC from Florida while my wife and kids were back in Florida selling the house.

I could only take 2 months of it and I had to get an apartment when the weather got too warm. I dont camp anymore

I used to love camping

rolandson likes this.
  11. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    I keep trying to talk spouse into selling the farm and buying one of these things...
    Bering-65-Steel-expedition-vessel-Bering-Yachts-3-1024x681.jpg
    And then sail it to Tahiti or New Zealand and live off the fat of the land.
    She points out that realistically, this is about what we might be able to fetch for our "farm"...
    DSC_0198.jpg
    And that is as long as we get a good price for all of my instruments... And then we'd kind of need to, you know, learn how to sail...

So then I suggest one of these and Canada or Alaska..

Exteriorandgarage-large.jpg
    Whereupon I get that sweet, shy, perfectly polite smile...the one that comes a micro-second before she smacks me upside the head and utters words like " baka gaijin" (stupid foreigner) and points out that that probably costs as much as the yatch...and i should be thinking ...
    799867f39f9af390a8aee9b52d706371.jpg
    But only if I think I can pull it with a Prius, because she'll be damned if she's going to give up her Subaru for me to go to the land of mosquito the size of an airplane...because she ain't having none of it.

This, from a woman who wants to hike the Pacific Crest Trail (a "trail" that runs the width of continental US, from Mexico to Canada), when she retires...at age 70.

The answer is...
    I would if I could, but I would have to do it solo.

12. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    This is too cute !! I love it !!

rolandson likes this.
  13. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

we have a trailer, but we dont use it for camping. Normally when I go camping its island hoping on a lake in northern ontario with a canoe and some tents.

Our trailer we keep on a lot out in the country so when we want to get away from the noise of the city we can, and we have a comfortable place to hang out. I also have a nice place to rip skidoos close to the city in the winter time and burn things in the summer time with a beer in hand. so I love it.

rolandson and Boognish like this.
  14. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    I would love to get a sailboat and travel around most of the world. No worries just island hopping and beer drinking!

rolandson and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  15. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 11, 2010
    Norman, OK
    We are thinking about renting one to visit some of the canyon parks in the Utah area.

We have never done anything like this and it feels pretty intimidating.

rolandson likes this.
  16. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Houseboats are available for rent on Lake Powell...if one is inclined toward water and lots of people (Lake Powell can get "busy") ...but one can also get "lost" in the landscape, in the sense of being totally captivated by it.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  17. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2013
    Seattle
    IMG_1409.JPG IMG_1410.JPG I am in mine right now. Returning from California where we were at a Labrador Retriever dog show.

Love my rig!

jeff h and rcole_sooner like this.
  18. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
    It can be intimidating for sure! Especially feeling safe pulling something that weighs a couple of tons or driving an RV that weighs several tons.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  19. Boognish

Jan 31, 2011
    Austin
  20. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog The Artist Formerly Known As gt Strat-Talk Supporter

You're not likely to find anything reasonable around your area, high income average & all. Best bet would be to find a rural land owner that
    has a hookup or three. Some homeowner/landers have hookups for their owns rigs or maybe for a little rent money.

21. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

Dec 31, 2014
    On the road again
    I had one, but what I figured out was it really was a pain in the ass, and it didn't accomplish what I wanted to do anyway, which was get as far away from people as I possibly could because I hate them all.
    Travel trailers are only really good at getting you to established campgrounds, or a couple miles off the paved road at best.
    So I got rid of the whole rig and am now in the process of resetting with something more in line with getting the job done.
    I wanted a sailboat, and was going to sail away to deserted islands of the South Pacific, but that is a costly venture and my wife gets motion sickness anyway, so that idea got sunk(see what I did there?). So I changed things up for land based transportation that is capable of getting me far far far off the beaten path.