Does anyone find tinted maple necks ugly?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
when you understand the difference between an aniline dyed finish with nitro over the top compared to a dye-in-the-finish job, the resulting difference when the top coat is worn away becomes immediately obvious.

Ok sure. What does that have to do with a tinted neck being fake or faking something? If referring to a vintage reissue or fake relic, sure.

There’s thousands of ultra modern guitars with tinted urethane necks, what are they trying to fake? I don’t care either way, I buy what I like and not what others think is cool. Just trying to figure out the fakeness of tinted urethane.

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
I do like the lightly tinted necks on my MIM Classic series guitars.

I think the bright yellow/oranges seems to be more prevalent on Squiers in my experience

All maple darkens over time though. When I bought my US Standard new in 1989 the neck was virtually white. Over the years it has darkened to a light tan colour.

1106180002.jpg

AJBaker

Strat-Talker
Mar 5, 2021
Switzerland
I like a slight tint, but I agree it shouldn't be overdone. I also don't like it when it's too light. I think the colour on my CP50s neck is just perfect.

What I really don't like, however, are artificially dark cream colored knobs and pickup covers on a white pickguard.

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
I do like the lightly tinted necks on my MIM Classic series guitars.

I think the bright yellow/oranges seems to be more prevalent on Squiers in my experience

All maple darkens over time though. When I bought my US Standard new in 1989 the neck was virtually white. Over the years it has darkened to a light tan colour.

1106180002.jpg

Yep, 40 years will tint a white maple neck nicely. The body finish didn't do so well...

then-now.png

stratocarlster

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 6, 2012
Telephone Road
I was just playing my J Mascis Jazzmaster and admiring the richly tinted maple neck. It goes perfectly with the olympic white body and gold pickguard. Maybe the look goes better with lighter coloured bodies.

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
There's such a huge range of maple shades, with natural variation, tinting, roasting, aging, finishes, etc. Sometimes maple looks great on a particular guitar, sometimes awful, IMHO. I don't find any particular shade of maple uniformly attractive or unattractive, it depends on what it's paired with. The neck can either complement or clash with the body, hardware, pickguard, and accessories.

The only maple aesthetic that doesn't work for me under any circumstances is the worn fretboard that just looks dirty. That's not my thing, though others clearly like it!

Agtronic

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 3, 2017
Montreal
I have never liked the look of a pale-white maple neck. And this isn't something that has developed for me with the trends. I remember when my dad bought a brand new Strat in the '90s, the neck and fretboard looked almost white. I always thought it looked too "sterile". I much prefer a tint, from moderate to dark, and more specifically, I like when it is darker in certain spots and lighter in others, such as you would see with natural patina. And oddly enough, I don't like when the entire neck is dark, such as with full rosewood necks or roasted maple*.

Edit: *Looking through Google images, came across a beautiful roasted maple neck. I take what I said back. It is very nice.

Not a huge fan of this sort of pale maple:

281321.jpg

Preference leans more towards:

Fender-Stratocaster-Cust-Shop-Burgundy-3.jpg

Nice Roasted Maple I just came across:

750-0999992920_detail2.jpg

And finally, I am quite happy with how the maple on my Strat has aged over the last 20 years:

upload_2022-1-18_9-56-4.png

upload_2022-1-18_10-2-52.png

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
I thought I preferred the tinted look, but lately I can see the appeal of a nice new pale maple neck and let it age on its own.

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 12, 2022
Florida
There's such a huge range of maple shades, with natural variation, tinting, roasting, aging, finishes, etc. Sometimes maple looks great on a particular guitar, sometimes awful, IMHO. I don't find any particular shade of maple uniformly attractive or unattractive, it depends on what it's paired with. The neck can either complement or clash with the body, hardware, pickguard, and accessories.

The only maple aesthetic that doesn't work for me under any circumstances is the worn fretboard that just looks dirty. That's not my thing, though others clearly like it!
I’ve seen those worn fretboards where they’re worn down more on the highly used areas, but it always seems like it would negatively affect the playability. I’d like to try one and see.