Does anyone remember Pat Travers? Look who his lead player was!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stevn, Apr 27, 2021.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

We had so much fun we forgot to remember :D:p:whistling:

Deathray likes this.
  2. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

Back when our jam group was at it's peak and I was a basically a beginner (couldn't play rhythm at all), I had the distinct pleasure of playing with a very good lead guitarist.
    We had a very steady keyboardist who pumped out the rhythm and bass so two guitars could go off on crazy nice harmonizing leads...I learned a lot and I miss it a lot, good times.

I have a TC Electronic Quintessence harmonizer which is cool, but I think there are better ones out there.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    ZlurkCorzDog and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

if you like songs about beating your "baby" then its a humdinger...

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I'm assuming its metaphorical.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I like PT. Met him a couple times and my band got to open up for him when I was about 21 yrs old...back when Jerry Riggs was in his band :thumb:

StratUp, Miotch, n1kk_s and 2 others like this.
  6. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

BTW, There's still time to spell his last name correctly in the thread subject :)

ZlurkCorzDog and Stevn like this.
  7. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

That’s how I saw Humble Pie 100 times. They always warmed up everyone!

Miotch and Blackmore Fan like this.
  8. n1kk_s

n1kk_s Strat-Talk Member

Can't agree more! I've been listening to "Boom Boom" live hell lot of times and this guitar duo pretty much had a great chemistry. Also I found a couple of out-takes from that gig: "Crash and Burn" with Pat playing keyboards and Jerry Riggs' amazing guitar solo before "Ready Or Not". Thanks for the info on his current band, i've got to check it out. Been wondering for a while where else this guitar player had played.

Stevn and Tucker McElroy like this.
  9. n1kk_s

n1kk_s Strat-Talk Member

WOW... Lucky you are on meeting this particular line up, awesome!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  10. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

Back in '79 I liked the Heat In The Street album a lot. Before Pat started touring with hired backup musicians, I think the Pat Travers Band operated more like a group; everyone contributed. Great lineup and some good tunes - used to love playing Hammerhead.

Pat Thrall, Mars Cowling on bass, and Tommy Aldridge was a badass drummer.

I kinda stopped listening to Pat when he became a solo artist. I enjoyed his remake of Green Eyed Lady though. Always liked that song.

Deafsoundguy, joe_cpwe and Stevn like this.
  11. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Your missing some great stuff IMHO.
    Check out”Blues Tracks” :) or any of his other”Blues” albums.

12. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

This is a great Song From Pat

ahhh the 70's :thumb:

Landshark2021 likes this.
  13. Tucker McElroy

Tucker McElroy Strat-Talk Member

Jerry Riggs on his new gig...

n1kk_s likes this.
  14. n1kk_s

n1kk_s Strat-Talk Member

Thanks! Already checking it out. Recognize the Man with the Stratocaster. :)

Well, I'd say, that Travers was hiring musicians throughout all his career, but yeah, these albums with Thrall and Aldridge are something special because Pat had gained relatively major success with this line up. Then came some experimental pop-oriented works from "Crash & Burn" to "Hot Shot"... For some reason "Radio Active" was my favorite from that period for a while.
    By the way, Mars Cowling stayed in the band until PT had become a solo artist. Also, the line up with Jerry Riggs also ended up recording and releasing an album after six years of touring and not having a label to put out a record. So, "School of Hard Knocks" has a lot of Riggs' input as well as from the rest of the band.

Most of the solo works are the same to me, but "Blues Magnet" maybe was the most memorable. Those "P.T. Power Trio" albums (1 & 2) weren't bad as well. The collaboration with Carmine Appice is cool, "It Takes A Lot of Balls" album was in my playlist for a couple of years.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Deafsoundguy and joe_cpwe like this.
  15. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Too cool!

joe_cpwe likes this.
  16. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Got it! :)

joe_cpwe likes this.
  17. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

And it's hard to find great songs about beating an ex-girlfriend until she's unconscious

18. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

Big PT fan.
    I've seen him play stadium shows back in the Travers/Thrall/Cowling/Aldridge days, and small clubs recently..
    Nice guy, met him after a show & he signed some photos I took in a small club in the '90's.
    This is from December 2019.
    Notice what type of guitar he's playing?
    :)
    Too bad he'll be dismissed as a musician because of one song. 20200111_222411.jpg

n1kk_s and Deafsoundguy like this.
  19. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

All he'd have to do is change a few verse lyrics.

If ever asked, just say: "You know, that was a cover tune; and many radio stations refused to play it. Now that I'm older and wiser, we change the lyrics when we perform that song. It's obviously not cool to beat women unconscious."

Done.

Plenty of bands have modified embarrassing lyrics when performed live, Marylin Manson "Dope Show", Talking Heads "Psycho Killer", Green Day has changed a bunch.....

Even Lynyrd Skynyrd finally got rid of their confederate flags - something they said would never happen...lol

https://lynyrdskynyrdshop.com/

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  20. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I’m not sure if I’m repeating this, it seems like maybe told the story on a thread about PT some time ago - but about 20 years ago (?) he had vanished from the scene for awhile (rumor- recovery thing). I got hired from the sleaziest dirt-bag promoter ever to supply p.a. in a small nightclub here in Area51. This promoter was such a slime bag that I knew I wasn’t probably going to get paid (and yeah I didn’t) but I was such a fan that I decided to do it anyway. He had his own house sound guy so I did monitors. Supposedly, this was his first show on a new tour and since it was a small place I was believing he was staring from scratch again.

Come show time, Pat isn’t coming out. The promoter has yet to show up (never did), and Pat has not been paid. It’s like an hour past showtime and the crowd was REALLY rowdy. I mean they were getting pissed and I was getting worried like indoor riot kinda worried. Finally Pat comes out and plays for free to a very big fan crowd of hardcore PT guys. And he was incredible and played perfect. I knew I wasn’t going to get paid so I spent time trying to dial in some sort of mix off the monitor console into a stereo minidisc player. I couldn’t hear anything it was so loud so I took kick and bass on one channel and a mix of the band on the right channel and remixed it later in my home studio with every trick I could think of!

CD that I made turned out really good after salvaging what I could from the minidisc built in compressor. I have a version of “born under a bad sign” that is miles better than his studio stuff. I still listen to it all the time! At least I got a killer bootleg out of it. Band was great, all hired guns I think, I remember it was the bass players first show with him from memory....

Oh and that was the end of the line for the promoter, he fled town after that to Texas.

n1kk_s and vid1900 like this.